SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GREENPOINT, CAPE TOWN SOUTH AFRICA

I would like to know what people from abroad think of this site as a possible Olympic Park. Its currently called the Greenpoint Common, i'm not sure if the area is being planned for this i simply would like to know what many think of this area and whether a few more venues could be added to a possible olympic stadium as the area is not very large, and certainly not the size of the Sydney Olympic Park, it is located near to V&A Waterfront a top tourist destination, the 5 star Table Bay Hotel and a stones throw away from the city centre:

It is not currently accesilbe via rail or underground transport but it is possible to make a link from the main cape town train station, which would be 2 mins if not less from the city centre:

Simply post your opinions, the idea would be for the current stadium to be upgraded and feature as an athletic centre with the parking lot area around it to be used for other training facilities for athletes, the golf course area to feature as the Olympic Vilage and the remaining area would be for other facilities e,g, a main indoor arena or dome and an aquatic centre with a tennis centre as well depending on available space.

I think this area is amazingly beautiful and offers spectacular views, and would only add to the major tourist attraction to the waterfront area as well as robben island, which would stage archery during a possible olympic games.

More information and images to follow
So, 1. is this site a good one for an Olympic Park
2. It is acknowledged that only a few main venues would comfortably fit this area, i.e. the main olympic stadium, athletic centre, olympic village, main indoor arena and aquatic centre,
3. any opinions regarding this site.

·
Registered
18,396 Posts
That's an absolutely amazing and beautiful location for the Olympics, it will be an Olympic haven. But without the adequate transportation links it's useless :nono:

·
Registered
311 Posts
Also, and I may be wrong, but I was of the opinion that Cape Town is a sort of white ghetto. It's going to seem strange if out of all the cities in Africa, they pick the virtually the only one which is majority white.

·
Registered
11,863 Posts
nice location but surely cities should be keeping as much green space in the centre as possible- If an olympic village was built here that would use up most of this green space.

·
Rock Lord
12,957 Posts
Jake_the_Peg said:
Also, and I may be wrong, but I was of the opinion that Cape Town is a sort of white ghetto. It's going to seem strange if out of all the cities in Africa, they pick the virtually the only one which is majority white.
no it's not, there are lots of coloureds, I think they are the majority and lots of black people as well.

I thought it was a very mixed place and that was in 1994 when I went there, so I am sure it is more so now.

After the support Mo Rush gave our bid, they could build it in Hillbrow in JoBurg and I would support a South African bid, but Cape Town is a great location and would make for a great bid.

By the way Mo Rush, when I was there I stayed in Observatory, how is the place these days?

·
Registered
28,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Zim Flyer said:
no it's not, there are lots of coloureds, I think they are the majority and lots of black people as well.

I thought it was a very mixed place and that was in 1994 when I went there, so I am sure it is more so now.

After the support Mo Rush gave our bid, they could build it in Hillbrow in JoBurg and I would support a South African bid, but Cape Town is a great location and would make for a great bid.

By the way Mo Rush, when I was there I stayed in Observatory, how is the place these days?

Just some facts:
City statistics

Country dialling code: 27.
Population: 3.1 million (metropolitan area); 4.5 million (Western Cape Province).
Ethnic mix: 57% ‘coloured’ or mixed race, 24% white, 18% black, 11% Asian.
Religion: 90% Christian, 6% Muslim, 4% Jewish, Hindu and other.
Time zone: GMT + 2.
Electricity: 220/230 volts AC, 50 Hz; round two- or three-pin plugs are standard.
Average January temp: 23°C (73°F).
Average July temp: 18.5°C (65°F).
Annual rainfall: 509mm (20 inches).

thanks zim flyer, the london bid was something i was really passionate about, and think i watched the videos quite a few times hehehe, i managed to get through the paris and new york presentations but after moscow i fell asleep for the madrid one but set my alarm for the best presentation we all know which one that is...the announcement of the winnner was like second best to when we won the soccer world cup bid for 2010 if not, for many times i just felt that london just had to win as to be honest i just could not imagine the 2012 games anywhere else call it luck or call it insider info or even intuition lol

anyway, well the greenpoint area will definitely not be used as an olympic park, but i have drawn together some plans and the olympic park will be where it was intended in 2004 at wingifield an excellent location and 340ha in size which is quite large, it would be based largely on the sydney and london olympics parks, but of course with an african touch.....

the greenpoint area would instead be used for football at the greenpoint stadium which is currently 18,000 in capacity but can be upgraded to 25,000, or it could be converted into a temporary tennis centre as was proposed for the 2004 bid where two tennis stadiums would be constructed within the stadium and the other courts would be outside the stadium, which was a very economical idea, however i would suggest constructing a tennis centre, and have it host some wta and atp events and then be used for the olympic games,

observatory is doing really really well, its property is really selling like hotcakes and its such a cool bohemian student kind of area now, with office parks too, a golf driving range, etc. well you were herein 1994 that is certainly a LONG time ago and a lot has changed in the city itself, i am definitely attending the 2012 games in London i think you should visit south africa for the 2010 soccer world cup....

this is a link for more on obserbvatory: http://www.tiscover.co.za/za/guide/...r,ZAR,season,at2,selectedEntry,home/home.html

this is a website i worked on over the weekend have a look and read up if you like:
http://rushonect.tripod.com/

·
Against ID Cards
9,799 Posts
Are there plans for alot of new transport links as that's a very important aspect. Looks good however.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Jake_the_Peg said:
Is that the most southerly point in Africa? Surely there are ferocious winds around there?
no its actually not too bad. I think Cape town would be great for the olympics. Who knows, mabye it will run for the 2016 games.

·
Registered
28,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
thank you, i have been thinking about and talking to some people about massive improvements to the transport system, although very different in some ways, cape town like london would have an olympic park about 10 minutes or less from the city centre depending on the speed of the rail transport and its effectiveness:

1. An introduction of an "Olympic Spear" Line which would run from the Olympic Park en route to the city centre train station without stops both ways. Therefore there would be stops only at the IBC/MPC which is but a one minute walk from the main train station so no stops would be needed at all, of course for the general commuter normal trains would run with stops at about 5/6 stops before the olympic park. A high speed rail system to and from the olympic park to the city centre, would allow the travel time to be but ten minutes..after the olympic games the high speed rail network will be extended to beyond the olympic park and serve the oympic corridor from the bellville region all the way to the city centre, a train would need to be available every few minutes along this route to the city and back

2. improved rail services to the other olympic venues would be needed, with general improvements to the quality of the service and they system itself, certain venues would be accessible by a dedicated bus service along olympic lanes which would be quicker in certain cases, instead of building a rail line to one venue which won't be in use after the games

3. about 80% if not more of the venues are serviced by a rail station a few minutes walk from the venue in some cases, like the Olympic Park (9 sports) Media City (IBC/MPC and Media Village as well as Pavillion One (2 sports) as well as Newlands Rugby and Cricket STadiums and others, the rail stations are adjacent to the venue and run along side the venue allowing for imrpoveed security and less walking time to the venues.

in this image the rail line runs through the rugby stadium hence its name the "railway stand", newlands cricket stadium in the image below has the rail line visible in the bottom left

4. Furthermore the Cape Town train station, would be upgraded vastly for the 2010 soccer world cup with a planned R250 million rand improvement to be completed by 2009, this would include imrpoving the rail system in itself as well as further upgrading the security centre at the station..

At the moment the train station itself is not very attractive and needs to be upgraded greatly in terms of aesthetics..

One of the control centre's keeping an eye on the cape town train station.

5. The N1 national road would need to be imrpoved as it has too few lanes to even cope with current traffic conditions it would need to be widened and streamlined, with the introduction of olympic lanes, allowing first access to the dedicated olympic shuttle services.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts