SkyscraperCity banner

601 - 620 of 631 Posts

·
Registered
27,903 Posts

·
7,730 Posts
This should be interesting. I like the Australian response to Google's threats...

·
Registered
27,903 Posts

·
Registered
27,903 Posts

·
Registered
27,903 Posts

·
7,730 Posts
Poland fights Big Tech with push to block social media censorship

Social media companies that censor users or remove posts for ideological reasons could soon face fines in Poland in a world-first attempt to curb the power of Big Tech through legislation.

Speaking to Fox News, the architect of the law, Deputy Polish Justice Minister Sebastian Kaleta, said social media companies have for too long been targeting conservatives, Christianity and traditional values by banning them and removing posts and the Polish government is saying "enough!"

"We see that when Big Tech decides to remove content for political purposes, it’s mostly content which praises traditional values or praises conservatism," he said, "and it is deleted under their 'hate speech policy' when it has no legal right to do so."

Under the new legislation, any platform that bans a user would face fines of $13.5 million unless the content is also illegal under Polish law. An arbitration committee would be set up to oversee disputes.

Tech companies had reached a point where they were deciding what was legal and what was not -- but that was not their role, Kaleta says.

"Freedom of speech is not something that anonymous moderators working for private companies should decide," he said. "Instead, that is for the national body; duly elected officials and all industries, car, phones, finance -- were unregulated till they grew too large -- the same should happen with Big Tech."
Facebook stops sharing news in Australia. Is Canada next?

Canada’s federal government, which is working on rules to make digital platforms pay media companies, is launching a new round of consultations with both media organizations and digital platforms in light of global developments, a senior government source told the Star on Wednesday.

Facebook, one of the biggest news-sharing platforms in the world, dropped a bombshell on Australia in response to the rules, saying it would stop allowing users in the country to share news on its platform.

“The proposed law fundamentally misunderstands the relationship between our platform and publishers who use it to share news content. It has left us facing a stark choice: attempt to comply with a law that ignores the realities of this relationship, or stop allowing news content on our services in Australia,” a statement from Facebook said.
“With a heavy heart, we are choosing the latter.”

Meanwhile, Google has been striking deals with media companies and on the same day as Facebook’s decision, announced an agreement with News Corp, the storied media conglomerate owned by Rupert Murdoch.

Reactions: jedmosley

·
7,730 Posts
Facebook Australia: PM Scott Morrison 'will not be intimidated' by tech giant

In a statement posted on Facebook, Mr Morrison said that big tech companies might be changing the world but this did not mean they should run it.

"Facebook's actions to unfriend Australia today, cutting off essential information services on health and emergency services, were as arrogant as they were disappointing," he said.

"I am in regular contact with the leaders of other nations on these issues. We simply won't be intimidated," he added.

Mr Morrison urged Facebook to work constructively with the government, "as Google recently demonstrated in good faith".

Treasurer Josh Frydenberg said the ban on news information had a "huge community impact". About 17 million Australians visit the social media site every month.

Other officials were less diplomatic. Western Australia Premier Mark McGowan accused the company of "behaving like a North Korean dictator".

Others suggested that a news vacuum could be filled by misinformation and conspiracy theories. In a tweet, Sydney Morning Herald editor Lisa Davies described the move as a "tantrum".

Human Rights Watch' Australia director said Facebook was censoring the flow of information in the country - calling it a "dangerous turn of events".

"Cutting off access to vital information to an entire country in the dead of the night is unconscionable," said Elaine Pearson.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Pansin ko na maraming nagdedeactivate na ngayon ng FB. Siguro dahil na rin sa mga toxic political posts

·
Registered
27,903 Posts
Reactions: Sky_Higher

·
I'm Watching You
11,690 Posts
Pansin ko na maraming nagdedeactivate na ngayon ng FB. Siguro dahil na rin sa mga toxic political posts
Most people are just using Facebook's other platforms like WhatsApp and Instagram. It's been known that a lot of "Facebook users" are aging or not being used by younger users since it's not "cool" anymore.

·
Premium Member
5,922 Posts

·
7,730 Posts
^^ Grabe naman talaga yun ginawa ng Facebook sa Australia. It only goes to show how petty Mark Zuckerberg can be. I don't think this shut down was planned, I think he just went on a fit and ordered some admins in Menlo Park on the fly to unfriend Australia so they weren't even able to prepare to code the filters to exclude Australian government, charity and even some retail Facebook pages on their retaliation.

They must have just added "any news to and from Australia" hence why a lot of unrelated Facebook pages were blocked. Because technically a government Health Facebook page is broadcasting "news" about the pandemic or mental health, a charity organization is broadcasting "news" about people in need, and a retailer is broadcasting "news" about the products they sell. Sadly, if this were to happen here, many many innocent Facebook pages, including Rising Philippines, Pinoy Joyride or even the unofficial Skyscrapercity Philippines will be shut down simply because they also broadcast "news".

It would be interesting to see how other countries react. The Australian law makes sense since these big tech are really riding on the content of news sites. More so for Google hence why I think this is why they did the wise choice of caving in and now are negotiating deals for such content. But its obvious that the Google executives are more level headed and mature than Mark Zuckerberg.

Reactions: Sky_Higher

·
Registered
27,903 Posts
^^ I read that this is somehow connect to Rupert Murdoch?

Wala lang, too much power was given to these tech / socmed companies - reminds me of Elliot Carver. the one that controls the information is king [queen].

So kakalas kaya ang Rappler sa fact-checking partnership nito with FB? Haha.
After praising FB before, matagal ng imbey si gGTPJ dun sa socmed giant, especially nung nanalo si Dugong noong 2016.

Anyway, totoo ito, may isang Australian-based railway group na member ako (and perhaps some of SSCers here na maka-riles), yung pinaka-admin ng group, hindi makapag-post ng balita nang dahil sa isyu ng FB sa AUS Government.
OT: is B.P. the Admin?

·
Premium Member
5,922 Posts

·
Registered
27,903 Posts
OT: He used to be very active at the local railway scene and SSC PH riles forum several years back, but...

==

BTT: I have a feeling blocking galore gagawin ng FB nextyr sa Pinas especially sa mga anti-opposition posts. Ngayon pa lang eh.

·
7,730 Posts
^^ I read that this is somehow connect to Rupert Murdoch?

Wala lang, too much power was given to these tech / socmed companies - reminds me of Elliot Carver. the one that controls the information is king [queen].
Yeah....there is a reason why Lex Luthor was based on Mark Zuckerberg in the recent Superman movies. They even used the same actor that played him in the Social Network movie. ;)

As far as Rupert Murdoch is concerned, its basically Google signing a deal with him regarding his news media outlets. So now Google has to pay Murdoch a licensing fee for the next three years so his Australian news outlets will still be present in their search engine.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Ookla: PH jumps to 86th spot in global mobile internet speeds in January

The Philippines’ mobile internet speed broke the top 100 as it jumped to 111th to 86th spot in January 2021 from the same period last year, according to a report obtained from global internet testing leader Ookla
The latest data from Ookla—a web service that provides free analysis of Internet access performance metrics —revealed that the Philippines' ranking in terms of mobile internet speeds is up by 10 spots from December, even beating Russia, Malaysia, Peru and Jordan.

·
7,730 Posts
From Shoshana Zuboff, Professor Emeritus at Harvard Business School and author of The Age of Surveillance Capitalism.

Plus the continuing effects of Facebook's tantrum....

·
7,730 Posts
It looks like Australia won against Facebook. (y)

Reactions: chestersim

·
Registered
27,903 Posts
^^ Speaking of the socmed giant... massive clickbait / ME ME ME pa more [good thing I deactivated mine 5 years ago]

601 - 620 of 631 Posts