SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets do something interesting...

Post shots of cars from interstate driving through your states streets and roads.

Here's a shot I took the other day of traffic in Liverpool St in Sydney. The White Falcon is from Queensland and the Barina is also from interstate, but I couldn't find exactly as to where. The plates were green and white - maybe Victoria or Queensland????

When interstate I tend to keep an eye out for any NSW cars on their roads.

Two months ago, I took these shots in Brisbane with NSW cars in them. Brisbane and SEQ tends to have a fair few of them, driven by those from the northern part of NSW who drive to Brisbane for work or business, and ex pats from NSW.

A maroon hyundai???? in Margaret St, Brisbane carring a NSW number plate (bottom right of pic)

Another a Toyota Landcruiser at the intersection of Petrie Tce & Caxton St

I found it nearly impossible to find gold numberplates south of the border in Victoria. I didn't see any with my eyes, but I took this shot of Little Collins St unaware the delivery van turning into Elizabeth St was in deed from north of the border.

·
7,972 Posts
The one in the first pic with the green lettering is QLD. You can tell because QLD is the only state (i think) where there are 3 NUMBERS, then 3 LETTERS.

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
^^
LOL we are all on the move....hrmm isnt it NSW thats on the move?

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Chris, I did see a few WA cars in Melbourne last year. Thats where they all seemed to be coming from if they werent Victorian.

SoulvisionQ1 said:
Yeah there are so many NSW and Vic cars around the SEQ Area! i see like 10 a day!
Thats how many I would of seen during my three days in Brisbane, and started seeing them right from the moment I left the airport.

I'm planning to make a log of every NSW car (hopefully some photos too :) I see when I'm there in July. I should keep a tab of other interstate cars.

·
Galactic Ruler
6,857 Posts
What is this? I love derelic buildings but this doesn't look as though it deserves to be derelict ... what is the go here and where is it?

·
Registered
811 Posts
There are alot of NSW number plates on SEQ roads but I think alot of them are hire cars also. Alot of the hire cars around seem to have interstate plates on them.
This is just a guess but I reckon the cars with the most interstate plates on our roads in order would go like this:

1 NSW
2 VIC
3 WA
4 SA
5 ACT
6 TAS
7 NT

Suprisingly enough I see alot of the 'Apple Isles' plates around, especially in the CBD.

·
Registered
811 Posts
What is this? I love derelic buildings but this doesn't look as though it deserves to be derelict ... what is the go here and where is it?

Thats the old barracks at petrie tce just outside of the CBD near Suncorp Stadium. I think (hope someone can confirm?) they are refurbishiing and turning them into residentials/retail/commercial pretty soon. It has been wasted land for years with the potential for so much. It is prime realestate.

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
zach24 said:
yeah i love the vic ones - on the move!
Oh plz....it is no longer on the move...its the place to be.

·
Registered
541 Posts
When I was in Atlanta in 2001, out of county drivers was a chronic bitch, particularly during heavy traffic or when someone cut in front of you a bit too closely. There not only is your state listed on your plate, but also your county. And there are a lot of counties.

I spent just about all my time in Gwinnett County, a colleague was visiting from Dawson County (quite some way away, so his car could be spotted easily in the office car park). Most of the darker skinned employees had cars registered in Fulton and DeKalb, and the white trash mostly seemed to be from Gwinnett and Cobb.

I have never really researched why they put that much detail on a number plate but at a guess it is probably in response to the moonshine cars that would bring illegal booze into the city during prohibition, and the tradition stuck. I could be completely wrong though.

Now that I have been looking into it though, the decal doesn't necessarily have to relate to a county though when I was there it invariably did. You can pay a bit extra for a war veterans plate, congress/senator/mayor/whatever (assuming you actually are..), a college name plate, even a plate that designates you as having a family member serving overseas. Very weird IMHO but I guess they have their reasons.

http://motor.etax.dor.ga.gov/motor/plates/images/Plates Photo Album/platestb.asp

·
Registered
461 Posts
There are bloody victorians everywhere! Heaps here in Adelaide, and then when I go up to my place in Cairns, there are more Victorians than any other state (besides QLD) driving up there!! You just can't get away from them :)

·
Former Member
1,227 Posts
MrPC said:
When I was in Atlanta in 2001, out of county drivers was a chronic bitch, particularly during heavy traffic or when someone cut in front of you a bit too closely. There not only is your state listed on your plate, but also your county. And there are a lot of counties.
They do the same thing in Florida as well. Their numberplates have "FLORIDA" at the top, the rego number in the middle and the county name underneath ("ORANGE", "OSCEOLA", "VOLUSIA" etc.) and there is a picture of an orange which separates the groups of characters, since Florida is the 'orange' state. There are also some plates which have the state slogan ("SUNSHINE STATE") instead of the county name.

But Georgia is a funny state. For example, Atlanta's PT system, MARTA (Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority, or according to some, Moving Africans Rapidly Through Atlanta), is funded by two LOCAL governments and receives NO state funding. When you buy stuff in Fulton and DeKalb counties (two major counties which make up metro Atlanta), you pay a sales tax which goes towards funding MARTA. This is the case because it's in the state constitution that all vehicle registration and fuel taxes MUST be spent on roads, and nothing else. So that's why they have a small two-line metro system (the city has 5 million people) but a huge network of extremely wide freeways (we're talking 15+ lanes here) and SHOCKING traffic. See picture here (the traffic is light though): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Downtown_connector_daytime.jpg.

Sorry for going off topic... again.

So back to Australia. I know that WA's number plates show the region that they're from, outside Perth. In Perth, all cars have number plates like "1XYZ -345", but elswhere in the state, you get stuff like AL-12345, where 'AL' represents Albany.

Here in SEQ, I see quite a few Western Australians driving around the city on a regular basis.... But some are rental cars (you can spot the rentals by looking for a small barcode on the rear passenger windows or the rear window). There are heaps of cars from NSW on our roads, and a fair number of them aren't commuters from the Tweed either. Many are expats who couldn't be stuffed changing their plates over (I know some who are simply having all their mail from the RTA sent to rellies down south!). I've seen a number of cars being driven by commuters (unless Sydneyites wear suits while on holidays!) which have been bought from dealers like Chatswood Toyota and Sutton's Holden, nearly every day. But if you go down to the Gold Coast at the moment, there are interstate drivers EVERYWHERE. While driving along the M1 tonight I was surrounded by NSW/VIC cars. Even outside school holiday periods, there are a lot of interstate visitors hanging around here on holidays, concentrating on everything but the road. Gold Coast traffic is terrible because of all of the tourists putting around the city all day long, not knowing where they're going. I also see the occasional car from NT in Brisbane, and what's really funny is that their cars are much cleaner than the cars the locals drive here!

Trent.

·
Premium Member
9,528 Posts
Is it just me, or do Victorian drivers seem to drive around Brisbane with their heads up their ars*s, it's amazing how many times I see a dangerous driver, and lo and behold, they have that blue triangle on their plate.

About the police barracks above, that building has been sitting unused for at least 15 years, and every couple of years there is always a plan to fix it up, that never comes to anything.

The present sign on the front says something like "due to council related problems, this re-furbishment has been set back to 2002".

It's an awesome location too, right at the top of Caxton Street.

·
Like whatever....
9,177 Posts
I think someone may have 'dumped' a Tasmanian car on my street. Its been there in the same place for weeks now with the Tasmanian blue and white plates.

·
Former Member
1,227 Posts
Aussie Bhoy said:
Is it just me, or do Victorian drivers seem to drive around Brisbane with their heads up their ars*s, it's amazing how many times I see a dangerous driver, and lo and beholf, they have that blue triangle on their plate.
You have to remember that most rental cars are registered in Victoria. I find most Victorian drivers to be pretty good, but it's the people driving the rentals that ruins their reputation. Especially drivers from overseas. I was walking down a street one day when a Toyota Tarago flew past with a sign stuck on the back window which said, "BE NICE. USA DRIVER HERE!"

1 - 20 of 62 Posts