Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here invest in any African Stocks? I am very interested in investing but I don't know how to start. I have used the Investing in Africa website but it still does not tell you the in"s and out's of the game. I have even thought of starting an African Investment Club here. :banana: If any of you have some useful knowledge please fell free to share.

Investing in Africa link: http://www.investinginafrica.net/default.aspx

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Although I'm a supporter of things like these, I'd wait a couple years. It's still a risky investment.
Thats a myth. The opportunities far outweigh the risks. There are risky countries but there are just as many stable ones.

·
Registered
15,047 Posts
Thats a myth. The opportunities far outweigh the risks. There are risky countries but there are just as many stable ones.
It's not a myth, developing countries are very violatile, just look at the likes of the Shanghai and Mumbai stock exchanges. Even Sao Paulo's which has one of the best performing stock exchanges and an investment grade, their are many pitfalls one can fall into. So unless you actually no what your doing, I'd also wait a few years.

·
Registered
17,045 Posts
Nah, Ghanas stock exchange has been anything but volatile over the years. I would have made a 30% return on my small £500 investment was it not for the incompetence and unprofessional attitude of my agent in one of Ghana's 'top brokers'. He took so long to share my shares, like 2 months.

If you find a reputable agent, then take the risk. But I wouldnt invest any more than a few thousand in any one company.

·
Premium Member
30,816 Posts
It depends on the country and the company that you are investing in, but in general, stocks are not a good place to put your money now. I'd even hesitate to actually buy US company shares now. The market, on a global standpoint, is not good at the moment. But if you found great companies, I hope for the best for you.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
It depends on the country and the company that you are investing in, but in general, stocks are not a good place to put your money now. I'd even hesitate to actually buy US company shares now. The market, on a global standpoint, is not good at the moment. But if you found great companies, I hope for the best for you.
well said 10rot. in africa u have to choose the country e.g in kenya u WONT go wrong with communication, banking or energy, the most glaring pitfall? u have to be careful with the stock brokers and agricultural companies

·
Mister One Million
5,485 Posts
This is good advice. One thing I would worry about is that some African stock markets have had very good runs, like the Nairobi exchange, and nothing goes up forever. All markets have "corrections," where the prices fall and I think some African stock markets might be getting to that point. But no one knows how long a run will last.

A company I'd like to invest in would be EEPCo, but they're government owned.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts