SkyscraperCity banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
Thanks, wasn't sure since the frame is up but I have no idea how long it takes to install a scoreboard from that point.
To be perfectly honest, I don't think that scoreboards should take that long. 3-4 weeks, tops. But I don't live there, and I'm not going to argue with the school. There are probably factors that we are not aware of.

·
Registered
33,489 Posts
^^ The stadium now looks very incoherent from an architectural point of view. That is too bad imho.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I think the north and south sections look fine, but the older east and west sections stick out to me. I know they want to preserve the view for the children's hospital, but they seem to not match up with the new sections at all.

·
10,556 Posts
It looks great! Will the fix the other end zone next?
Assuming the economics work out and the demand is there for more such premium seating I wouldn't be surprised, but I do think that end hosts the majority of students so they'd need to make sure the lower tier has the desired capacity for that section. Need a local to confirm.

Reactions: Chevy114

·
Registered
33,489 Posts
When full it looks quite nice, but empty the stadium is design wise disappointing to me. But as long as it's gets the job done and they are happy with the stadium who am I to be disappointed by the design? ;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Assuming the economics work out and the demand is there for more such premium seating I wouldn't be surprised, but I do think that end hosts the majority of students so they'd need to make sure the lower tier has the desired capacity for that section. Need a local to confirm.
I think the stadium would look better having both endzones similar in scale and design. However there are challenges to redoing the south outside of just cost. The south endzone was just redone in 2005 at the same time Kinnick's press box was redone. It now houses brand new home and visiting locker rooms. I'm not sure if they could retrofit a new design atop the below-ground locker rooms so that it mirrored the north endzone. There is a lot of space behind the south endzone to expand if needed.

I'd be in favor of filling in more of the south endzone 'bowl', but I'm not sure how economical it would be to add maybe just over a 1000 seats. What's more economical is filling in the space, minimally reducing overall capacity, and adding club seats (like the north endzone).

·
Registered
69 Posts
When full it looks quite nice, but empty the stadium is design wise disappointing to me. But as long as it's gets the job done and they are happy with the stadium who am I to be disappointed by the design? ;)

So I'm confused...would it be ok with you if it looked bad full but good empty? Does it really matter all that much. You have a wonderful facility, enjoy it for what it is.

·
Registered
33,489 Posts
^^ Oh, I am sure the many fans will enjoy it and the club is quite satisfied with the stadium, that is most important. But personally I would like more if it would look good empty and full. ;)

·
Registered
306 Posts
I think they did the best they could considering the circumstances, but they surely could have had more cohesion had they better long-term planned the expansions.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think they did the best they could considering the circumstances, but they surely could have had more cohesion had they better long-term planned the expansions.
I agree that more planning should have went into making both endzones more similar in design, but part of why that didn't happen is based on opportune times where funding became available. The south endzone and entire new press box/clubs were completed around 2005 or 2006 after 3 highlight years by the football program. The north endzone was approved in 2016, a season after the team went 12-0 in the regular season. The board of regents saw increased profits and approved funding for both projects at those times.

The AD Gary Barta has stated that the next renovation will be the east grandstands. It will likely be more functional improvements within the concourse (bathrooms, concessions, etc). I doubt anything will change much aesthetically along the seating area because the east grandstands already match the west stands (minus the press box). The east side is bordered tightly by an important access road to the hospital buildings too. If the south endzone is ever renovated to 'fill in' the stadium like the north endzone has, it'll probably be awhile from now because it was already renovated not 15 years ago. I hope it is someday though. Kinnick is already an intimidating place to play and that would hold in more noise and simply provide a more cohesive look.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts