SkyscraperCity banner

41 - 60 of 153 Posts

·
The Expat Capra
274 Posts
The renders are a bit vague, but from what I can see it looks a bit disappointing and plastic. Still, it has got to be an improvement on the Buttermarket and Tower Ramparts.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I'm so glad you brought this up, I had no idea a shopping centre was going on this site. Great news. Although I agree, it doesn't look wildely impressive from the renders, very gimmicky (dunno if that's just the style of those images or the actual building). Fingers corssed it goes ahead asap tho

·
Registered
370 Posts
Oh and btw good photos of the marina, it really does look good down there now.. not that I've had a proper wander around for a few months. Amazes me to think how it was say two years ago :nuts:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ipswich New and Recent Buildings

This is how many residents of Ipswich like to think of their home: A quiet market town in the sleepy county of Suffolk, where not much happens except umm-ing and arr-ing over the price of corn. It's not really been like that since about 1850, but nevertheless there's been much tutting and murmering over the following scary things:

During the economic boom bucketloads of flats got put up, and seem to still be going up. This sent people of a certain age into paroxysms of 'tsk' 'tsk'-ing, eye-rolling, and head-shaking. Apparently, Londoners wanted somewhere to park their boat, so they put up stacks of yuppie pads far out of reach of most local people, beyond their budget: which is about £5, 9 shillings and 12 cowrie shells. The tallest building is called Cranfield Mill, or 'The Mill', and it is supposed to have among other things: a dance school and theatre.

The other two towers and converted factories are a development called Regatta Quay. There's never actually been a regatta on the river Orwell as far as I know, but it certainly does look swanky.

This is the other side of the current main waterfront. Ipswich is a freshwater port. This 'wet dock' was the largest purpose built river port in the world when it was completed in 1842. Further round there is still a working goods and container port, which deals with smaller vessels who find it cheaper to off-load up-river than at Felixstowe on the coast.

This is the Ipswich hub of a new University called University Campus Suffolk. This means that young people will be coming to Ipswich and scaring the locals, or even worse: That local yoofs might actually stay in the town rather than running away immediately to somewhere where they have shapes and colours.

This is the back of Neptune Marina, a block of top notch swank pads.

This is Axa, they have refurbished one of their buildings so it's nice and shiny. On the right is another block of flats going up on the other side of the river.

-which is connected to the town by this bridge.

Churchman's old cigarette factory converted on the left.

Ipswich Borough Council's new premises.

Suffolk County Council's new premises, which was supposed to be the headquarters of TXU Energy, but they went bust, so the council got a bargain.

A re-clad 1960's tower on the left.

The Crown Court. Shiny metal.

Most of this was all planned and embarked upon during the good times. There was loads more planned and I hope the recession doesn't last too long because I want MORE!​

·
Registered
527 Posts
I visited family in Ipswich at the weekend and had a chance to stroll around the docks. Although large parts are currently building sites or still derelict, there seems to be great potential for the area.

The mix of styles works quite well and it looks like there will be lots of different uses for the area which will help to keep it lively for longer periods of time.

Is there a masterplan for the whole area in terms of redevelopment at all?

Although it doesn't look too sunny on these pics, it was very warm which meant there was quite a few people milling about. The redevolpment work that has already been done offers quite a bit of shelter for sitting outside which should create a really good atmosphere in the evenings.

·
Like 'Berg'
6,670 Posts
It's certainly going on in Ipswich, hey? lol.. Those high rises look really good as a collective, and I really like the wood and black render block.. its quite quirky without being over dominant.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Some good photos of the wet dock there and Ipswich in general.

I like it down by the docks more all the time, possibly could do with another good bar and restuarant and some more car parking now the free at night council one has gone!

·
Registered
370 Posts
ha, just thought I'd have a look back on here to see if there's been any recent photos put up of the waterfront, as I've been on the other side of the world for the last 6 months. Would be great if anyone would be able to post some up to date pictures, must be nice down there now in the summer? Also, I'm loving seeing my flat in those pictures (Churchmans Lofts, the glass box looking part jutting out is my living room lol), makes me feel slightly homesick, haha, thanks MrFaceHead

·
The Expat Capra
274 Posts
ha, just thought I'd have a look back on here to see if there's been any recent photos put up of the waterfront, as I've been on the other side of the world for the last 6 months. Would be great if anyone would be able to post some up to date pictures, must be nice down there now in the summer? Also, I'm loving seeing my flat in those pictures (Churchmans Lofts, the glass box looking part jutting out is my living room lol), makes me feel slightly homesick, haha, thanks MrFaceHead

I live abroad too, but I shall be back in Ipswich for a short break next month- I'll get some photos then and have a look around to see if anything's happened in the last year.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If there's nice weather next week I'll do some photography of recent developments in Ipswich (everything looks better in the sunshine). A new construction company have put up boardings at Regatta Quay so hopefully things have started moving again. The University second stage development and halls are worth doing, as are the new paving and road plans on Bishops Hill and Giles corner.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here's an update on architectural goings-on in the town known as Ipswich:

First of all, a photo of The Mill:

The Mill complex is only half finished, as is Regatta Quay. Both developers went into administration in the credit crunch and it could be many years before the projects get taken on by other parties. Inside the Mill about half the flats are complete. Regatta Quay has two towers, one complete and sold, the other just a concrete skeleton and looks terrible. Why us? :eek:hno:

Before the recession there were big plans for the town, it was really unbelievable all the things that were supposed to be being built. At least three proposed shopping centres (?!) have disappeared into outer space: The Mint Quarter, St Peter's Port, The Westgate Centre. To be honest it was all property bubble fueled insanity. There is maybe a chance the Westgate Centre will materialise in the future, after all they knocked down the perfectly decent 1960's Civic Centre to make way.

New things that have been completed:-

'Suffolk New College'

I prefer to call it the new Suffolk College, cos thats what it is.

A Sixth Form College called Suffolk One:

I wish I'd had such good facilities for my A-levels!

The James Hehir Building and Athena Hall:

These are new facilities of University Campus Suffolk.

The Corn Exchange restoration:

There is also a new paved area in front called Giles Circus.

Developments still to come:

The administrators of one of the several bankrupt developers involved in Ipswich Waterfront apparently still want to go ahead with this:

-which is a hotel and other bits and bobs. Looks nice.

Tescos have the go-ahead for a mixed use development:

The university is getting another halls of residence, which is going to look a bit like this (the white buildings):

And that's what's happening in this town at the mo! :)

·
Registered
507 Posts
Interesting thread! The Mill is one of my favorite local buildings.... Norwich needs to pull its socks up to beat it, both in height and appearance!

41 - 60 of 153 Posts