·
South England
2,611 Posts
UTTER, UTTER SHAMBLES

From The Ipswich Society Facebook page

FAREWELL "CORNHENGE".
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CLICK ON THE PHOTOS TO ENLARGE:
Hoardings went up on Cornhill today in preparation for the removal of the controversial iconic arches.

Work is expected to start in the next two days. The "henge" is to be completely removed and the paving tidied up leaving the site as if it had never been there. The up lighters will remain. The work is expected to be completed within two weeks.

In the longer term a decision will be made as to whether to replace it with an improved version or something else, or just to leave it as open space. We understand that the "henge" has not been paid for as it was not to the specification ordered.

After a short gap Phase 2 will begin dealing with the remaining snagging problems. This will include renewing the paving along the top, of the steps in a different colour, making the steps more visible. Additional matching handrails will be added in the middle of the wide steps and down the front of the Town Hall steps.

Similar style concrete seating incorporating planters will be built into the paving along the tapering step which has had barriers along it since day two. The step will disappear completely.

All this work is to be completed well before the Christmas tree arrives. The hope is that the Cornhill revamp will finally be finished!

Click on the link to The Ipswich Society's CORNHILL REVAMP 2018 video which includes the installation of "Cornhenge". The sequel will be released later this year.

·
Registered
25 Posts
LOL

Phase 2? Surely they had already done Phase 2. This is a complete joke. Although I have been sweating my ... off today, before you know it the weather will be getting worse and temperatures colder... then in the new year, temperatures will likely plummet further as winter progresses, so this short gap, seems like April or May 2020. So completion for festive period in 2020?

I struggle to see why the other fixes have taken so long. In places of the arches should be a memorial to the guy who died just trying to walk on the Cornhill... or maybe to Ipswich Town Centre in its entirety?

·
South England
2,611 Posts
August 2019 - £2 Development & Enhancement Programme for Buttermarket

£2 Development & Enhancement Programme for Buttermarket

Landlord, DTZ Investors has committed £2m to a redevelopment and enhancement programme to refresh the Ground Floor Mall and construct a new North Mall entrance on to the Buttermarket Centre. The works will see the delivery of new flooring, lighting and general internal aesthetics before a new entrance, brand and signage will be delivered to complete the works from January 2020. There will be no disruption to trade whilst the works take place, with all activity taking place out of hours and a break for Christmas trade and extensive festive activity.

Since 2015 more than £25m has been invested in Buttermarket, developing a leisure offering which now includes an Empire Cinema, Superbowl UK family entertainment centre, PureGym and a food and drink quarter. In July Superdry opened on Buttermarket filling a prominent entrance unit with a vibrant fashion offering which compliments the existing retail mix of TK Maxx, New Look and more.

Read more: https://www.buttermarketipswich.com...gwmo0qdJAvd_mbLIuOKU35N0zkSI8SQjv0Z8lj5pv3I7M

·
South England
2,611 Posts
Here's the first look at the new Ipswich police and fire station

Police and firefighters could be sharing a rebuilt station at Princes Street in Ipswich by the end of 2021, it has emerged.

Much of the existing fire station on the site, including the bays where the fire pumps are held and maintained when not on a call, will be retained - but new secure office space for the police and firefighters would be built beside them facing on to Chancery Road.

Suffolk Police and Crime Commissioner Tim Passmore said he felt the shared station would be much better than the existing station in Museum Street.

He said: "I think that the police need a presence in the county town of Ipswich and although Museum Street is near the town centre it isn't really part of the town that many people go to. Princes Street will be better in that respect.

"We already share with the fire service in 11 stations across the county and I'm sure this will be as successful as they have been."

The £3.9m cost of converting the station has already been committed by the government - and it should be "cost neutral" for the PCC's office.

Read more: https://www.eadt.co.uk/news/new-ips...TOC7KxSLLR8NiQTidsDy_JeZo6GGpQq24G_EDUztdiqbo

·
Registered
25 Posts
Interesting case. The PCC was the one who had the bright idea to move into Museum Street. Now it seems the police will be out of the town centre itself. Museum Street was a poor location but their hands were tied. Far too expensive to be in the town centre such as Old Post Office or even Grimwades. I don't understand why the government doesn't make the NHS and the police exempt from business rates, would simply it a whole lot more. Can then treat the balance as a funding increase.

As for the joint fire-police station. I am NOT in favour. A joint ambulance and fire station seems sensible. An additional police presence towards the rail station seems sound. Plenty of undeveloped land along the north of the river (including the waterfront) and the former BT premises (offices to flats conversion) in Bibb Way are ideal for a police station - perhaps a relocation of the Martlesham HQ.

I don't see why the small plot of land for the fire station would be shared - it is just for SCC to reduce its costs for the fire station by sharing it. Similar to them sharing Landmark House with the police. It won't be their major presence of police vehicles, however, the limited times the fire service is called out from Princes Street in real terms doesn't have a major impact on the road network and the bus gate, but adding police response (and is that an ambulance in the drawing?) is too much for the road system... you could link the traffic lights up to be clever, but buses follow each other due to traffic lights and limited space at bus stops... especially in peak times... not rare to see P&R, 12, 13 and 15 heading south following each other, or 12, 13, 15A and one of the Beestons services heading north.

They must be planning of closing the bus gate? Three emergency services cannot rely on this location with long vehicles anchored in the way. Linking the lights will give opportunities for buses to get out of the way, but if people are getting off (especially with mobility issues or luggage, or wheelchair users) it adds a delay... and of course, in most scenarios it is simply a minor delay but in peak times there won't be road available for buses to get out of the way, or for the emergency services to make a quick dispatch. Have they even thought about this? Roadworks and bridge closures only make the situation worse but arguably this is already a major issue for the emergency services.

£3.9m isn't a huge budget for this either. Cost cutting measure which will be ineffective. Elm Street police station was a little out of the main town centre (relocated from the town hall when the police forces merged) but Princes Street proposed location is too far out unless coming from the railway station. Still, with proposed sale of the Martlesham site, they should be looking for much larger premises...

·
South England
2,611 Posts
I really, really hope this comes to fruition.

Tall Ship tourist attraction could be coming to Ipswich Waterfront

Famous training ship, The Lord Nelson, could be making its new home in Ipswich where it would become a major tourist attraction and education centre.

The three-masted tall ship has sailed all round the world from its Southampton base, giving people first-class sail training and life-changing experiences, over the past 33 years.

The Lord Nelson, run by the Jubilee Sailing Trust charity, was the first boat purpose-built and designed to be fully accessible for disabled people.

It is being decommissioned next month following a final training voyage in to Southampton.

The trustees are seeking a new home for the Lord Nelson and Ipswich, with its links with Nelson, is a front runner.

Project manager Andy Spark, of the Jubilee Sailing Trust, said: "Last week I had a meeting with ABP and I was very encouraged by the positivity and the interest. It left me in a warm place.

"Ipswich does seem ideal. There is good footfall and car parking nearby for visitors."

However, he added: "We have a long way to go before we can make this happen."

The trustees will have to approve the business case for the Lord Nelson to be transformed into a visitor attraction and education base in the new year.

Read more: https://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/...become-visitor-and-education-centre-1-6292460

·
Registered
25 Posts
I absolutely agree but (yes, there is a but...) I suspect we don't stand a chance. It is a repeat of the Channel 4 hub (and various other things) applying and hoping doesn't help. No winning for hope.

Norfolk is Nelson country. Ipswich doesn't have a strong Nelson link. From what I can research, he received a pension after being awarded Freedom of the City of London... and purchased a farm near Ipswich which he never resided. He obviously visited Ipswich a few times in his life of course but who hasn't (especially back then)?! His mother lived and married in Suffolk in the Beccles area.

The very tall ship has set sail from Great Yarmouth in the past which I believe also has a museum dedicated to him (never visited it). Therefore, it is rather likely Great Yarmouth would be one of the most likely places to get the honour. The people of Norfolk won't settle for Suffolk getting it and having Googled it, the museum name had Norfolk as a prefix for many years... and located quayside... on the River Yare. But it isn't that simple, Nelson was pro-Slavery and Suffolk has played a big part in the abolishing of such trade that Nelson tried to resist, including the life work of Thomas Clarkson who lived near Ipswich, which has a road named after him in his honour.

Furthermore, it would be seen as a gift and a location for the tall ship. To tempt them, there really needs to be hard cash laid down - not as a bribe - primarily funds to help the transformation of the ship itself and additional supporting infrastructure including a waterfront welcome centre... except funds seem likely tied up into converting an old warehouse into offices, flats and a theatre space. Unlike medium cities Ipswich (council) doesn't have the ability to invest in multiple schemes. Ideally the council needed to set aside money but as the council doesn't own any tourism ventures other than the two they inherited (plus they don't run any, it is Colchester council which does) boosting tourism has no financial income benefits for the council. This has long been a major problem.

I cannot see our council having a financial proposal where for instance the council offers a loan repayable from any entrance fee and donations... just sadly there is no planning strategy in my home town. The tall ship would be a trophy to secure and making some nice photos with absolutely no changes made to the waterfront area... nobody will see any opportunity for the bigger picture. Hopefully ABP would assist, however, so far with the Upper Orwell Crossings despite what would have inflated their land value they ensured they were duly compensated for all expenses relating to it. I cannot see the port owner donating a big sum of money for the sake of it. All charity fundraising has been donations from staff and so forth.

It would be nice... and whilst I hope to hear good news, I hope those in charge realise this is just one piece of the overall jigsaw puzzle and a lot of effort needs to be undertaken to complete the waterfront area including the island site.

·
South England
2,611 Posts
It is a slim possibility... if a possibility at all like you say. But... an attraction like this would be a step in the right direction. An actual tourist attraction, the waterfront, however nice it looks on a sunny day, has no pull for tourists. I still dont understand why there is no dedicated maritime museum though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It is a slim possibility... if a possibility at all like you say. But... an attraction like this would be a step in the right direction. An actual tourist attraction, the waterfront, however nice it looks on a sunny day, has no pull for tourists. I still dont understand why there is no dedicated maritime museum though.
It is long overdue. Not sure why Old Custom House isn't converted to be a museum. It isn't that large for offices... and plenty of places they can relocate to.

Ipswich Maritime Trust have long had numerous ideas for tourist attractions in particular on the island site... but there is no political will to do this, IMT doesn't own the land, ABP does, it is earmarked for housing and ABP would want to be compensated beyond land value if parts of their land were used as a tourist attraction.

There is a 10 year old window museum - which initially took me a while to find it, must be missed by thousands of people - and the latest attraction is some old bronze plaques that have came out of storage and installed in a raised brick.. erm, platform?

I must sound so grumpy lol but we are a really old town but nothing to sell to visitors. I rarely see tourists around town these days. You can racially profile people and wrongly presume they are tourists when they actually live in our town, but you can tell by body language when people are brand new visitors. American tourists used to be a very common sight about 10 years ago. People still visit the UK, just choose other towns.

With so many empty retail units at the waterfront - some being empty for some considerable time and most never occupied, wouldn't be rocket science for the council to sign a peppercorn rent deal with the owner and open up a quayside tourist information centre... effectively a gift shop. Most people enjoy the river cruises, but these are typically sold at the TIC in town - inconvenient - or in places like Coffeelink (solely for location) which is a bit strange buying tickets for a dinner cruise in a fast paced coffee shop! Ipswich is just a really unfriendly place for tourists... and being the waterfront town more emphasis needs to be on that area. This said whether you come by train, coach, bus or car (such as P&R) there isn't an obvious suitable point of departure for visitors. A major missed opportunity I think!

·
South England
2,611 Posts
The Lord Nelson has just arrived in Bristol, I'd say its very unlikely it'll come to Ipswich

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/sad-story-behind-huge-tall-3439124

The trust launched an emergency appeal and raised a staggering £1 million in just a week from 3,500 individuals and companies, but the charity admitted it needed to cut costs, and had run up a £1.2 million deficit.

So a decision was taken to effectively mothball one of the ships, and Lord Nelson was picked. It went on a farewell tour of London and the south coast over the late summer and autumn, and has now arrived in Bristol to be stripped and ‘laid-up’, with much of the boats fixtures and fittings taken into storage or to the charity’s other ship, SV Tenacious, which is remaining at sea.

In a ‘final Captain's blog’, the ship’s master, Chris Phillips, spoke of his emotion at having to leave a ship he’s been on for 14 years - the last eight as captain.

...A decision on the long-term future of the Lord Nelson is due to be made at a later date.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The Lord Nelson has just arrived in Bristol, I'd say its very unlikely it'll come to Ipswich

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/sad-story-behind-huge-tall-3439124
Bristol is far better suited... and if the town has lost out in the end to Bristol, there is no shame in that. If it was coming to Ipswich... and I mean seriously... the bid to get Ipswich as a location would have been through all official channels in terms of council meetings (such as for funding) and a news item on the council official website with a questionnaire to gather support... rather than the local press with a "could" article with some rather generic statements of "how wonderful x would be for the town...".

I suppose we will just have to wait until some time for the local press to reveal any potential news on this. The charity running the ships are only getting rid of one due to debt which means "cash please"... so I think when it comes to Ipswich, they thought a nice free opportunity for a tourist attraction rather than speculate to accumulate or more simply acquiring something potentially worthwhile.

I just double-checked the council website... https://democracy.ipswich.gov.uk/mgDelegatedDecisions.aspx?bcr=1 If taxpayers money was going to be used to bring the tall ship to the waterfront, it would have been a decision item whether decided by committee or delegated. Not sure, but it probably will need a planning application; which surely would make sense if applying to have it! But as we know in Ipswich, it was likely along the lines of... "We need to find a new home to offload this ship and cut costs to survive" "yeah, we can host it on the waterfront, we will find a place for it somewhere". Surely a hint of a sizeable donation and be serious enough to propose a plan for it, including exactly where it will be, and how the attraction would fit in well with the local area.

I am sure it was IMT that raised the idea for the council, and politicians jumped on it to approve of what they had already done for the area... I think they were anticipating a bit more "support" than verbal statements...

Which leaves the question... "What is next for Ipswich Waterfront?"

·
South England
2,611 Posts
Took these, photos today of the Lord Nelson in Bristol. To be honest the ship isnt too large, but I can really see this being a centre point for Ipswich, especially up by St Peter's Dock. They were doing a lot of work, guess stripping it, might try to ask one of them if they know anything.

Lord Nelson Bristol by The_Arch_Wright, on Flickr

Lord Nelson Bristol by The_Arch_Wright, on Flickr

I may be fixated on this idea, but a tall or historic ship, with any relation to the town would be a huge boost to the waterfront

·
Registered
25 Posts
At the far western part of the wet dock or near Stoke Bridge? The latter... I believe the River Orwell is no longer passable here with the flood barrier in place. Lifting the ship and/or transporting it by road is too much effort and cost for Ipswich. The former... would probably look really nice (be far better than where proposed outside the James Heir Building) in the corner and be literally the first thing you would see as you walk past Dance East. I think this part is pretty shallow (from what I have heard) and likely full of silt and general waste that people dump in here - although this could be cleaned out.

The quayside around here is terrible though but with the tourist attraction you can expect the A3 ground floor units to be occupied? Even (dare I suggest it) as a welcome centre. Also, New Cut East (or has this been officially renamed as Google doesn't recognise it as such) to the island site will be obstructed with people looking at the tall ship.

I may be fixated on this idea, but a tall or historic ship, with any relation to the town would be a huge boost to the waterfront
We don't need it. I mean, a very historic town... and we have Ed's Trail because numbers are dropping off at his exhibition at Christchurch Mansion. We have had all such trails before, much more significant actually in the school holidays, never a mention... but when it comes to Ed... instant feature on the local TV news... haha, I mean really, the idea is to visit pubs he played in before he was famous but never came back to (apart from Steamboat Tavern, once)... and most have been refurbished and renamed since then! ITFC, the town museum and UoS he doesn't really have a link to. Interesting the half-term link up... to pubs... lol The Elmer charity trail for instance involved a lot more locations.

I don't blame the council cashing in on Ed... (I hear they aren't making money on this, but will boost tourism to an extent I suppose) but what about the history around us? :D I mention this specifically, as why doesn't Ipswich have an official tourism trail?!

The waterfront is featured in the Ed trail - because the UoS gave him an honorary degree? This is how far Ipswich Borough Council goes to promote the primary tourism focus of "the waterfront", really says a lot. I really struggle to see how the empty retail units can become let and that area to become vibrant.

I am really not sure what else to suggest for this area... perhaps install LED netting or meteor lights on the ugly overhead beams in the festive period? Erm, scraping the bottom of a barrel now!

We might have to be realistic... back to the drawing board... perhaps a scaled model of a tall ship made out of lego or match sticks? Not sure where we could put it, I think it would be overlooked no matter what! I sense that the council leader has moved on from the waterfront to the new W.I.P. out-of-borough industrial estate and retail investments.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Bet me to it! £16.50 entry fee - discounts on age, student status and for disabled people... and on Mondays too. The ark is supposedly here for 3 months and hasn't been anywhere else in the UK before. If it isn't scheduled anywhere else this could be a tourism draw. It will prove the concept that people are willing to come to Ipswich at cost (travel, hotel, food etc) and pay to enter an attraction. Which means the council should be willing to create a permanent tourist attraction with an entry fee to cover the costs of establishing it.

I hope the novel idea (wish they made it into a proper ship) does better than the Made in Suffolk exhibition which has struggled for visitor numbers (with notable exceptions around the ES concerts, holidays and initial weekends, when it was really busy) and is resorting to flogging merchandise online, after being annoyed to realise much of the goods sold were finding their way on eBay, and most other people were viewing the exhibition without buying.

I won't be visiting as I researched the "museum" inside online, and is priced out of the £6~10 punt it should be. So this is a 'tourist trap' (maybe more so if we had a lot of Christian tourists let alone tourists!) but I hope people do come in their numbers (even for a 'selfie' outside) and can prove an ongoing attraction (compared to say a weekend event) is able to pull people in. I expect leaflets to be in the TIC but it is a shame it hasn't been scheduled in the official tourism literature for the town so people can be persuaded to view multiple attractions, it may have a benefit being here for Christmas (far from the shops if people come here to shop though) but the winter months are less favourable especially that we do not have a festive market. So I really hope it puts Ipswich on the map, such as with TV local news coverage.

Sorry I am still rambling... it comes to prove that Ipswich can create a momentum of sorts... we had the big one-off concerts for 4 days, also had the Elmer art trail, a bit of coordinated effort later the town could attract a wide range of people for different events and attractions continuously happening across the year. But in additional to events and festivals, we need the developments to support it... tourist attractions, medium sized music venue and so on, and there is one major Christian festival coming up which the town seems not to bother about making money out of.

·
South England
2,611 Posts
Well... I do hope that this is just an initial proposal. It looks identical to the bland MSC office block in Ransomes Industrial Park. Not fit for a business district the council are trying to propose. This shouldnt annoy me as much as it does, but I think this proposal has broken me. Its wrong for so so so many reasons, and is the epitome of a town with no desire, plan or direction. We must be the only large town in the country with close proximity to London, that has tons of brownfield land within walking distance of the train station that is proposing... rabbit hutch red box housing and cheap low rise offices with tons of surface parking.... :bash:

New offices could lead to new multi-storey park near Ipswich rail station

Read More:https://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/...imRWs-eEUXRsa4WH41jOkiGhl7TSh_b4urnQBbIKlHT-c
Whats worse, is that Ipswich Borough Council granted permission for a new speculative office block, they are developing, in Princes Street in 2014! Not one tenant lined up, and assume that collapsed :bash:

101 - 120 of 153 Posts