SkyscraperCity banner

121 - 140 of 153 Posts

·
South England
2,611 Posts
Well... I do hope that this is just an initial proposal.
... Well. These images are what is provided in the planning application.

The smallest application for a 4 storey town centre office block I have ever seen. Says it all!

19/01140/FUL

Developer: Pertwee Estates

Architects: Esposito Architecture

Apparently its responding to the Crown Court and Maltings :lol:

·
Yanukovich nash boh
9,490 Posts
TripAdvisor names Ipswich 'among world's top emerging destinations'

Ipswich has been named among the world's top emerging destinations, according to TripAdvisor - thanks possibly in part to Ed Sheeran.
The review website compiled the list of up-and-coming locations from searches by users - with the Suffolk town the UK's only entry in the top 25.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-51620577

·
South England
2,611 Posts
Webster’s Yard Tower Approved

Planning has been approved for the demolition of the existing buildings at Webster’s Yard, Dock Street, and for the erection of a 10 storey metal clad tower, containing eight residential units, and one four storey house described as an ‘executive residence’.

The site is accessed off Dock Street. To the front of the site is a parking area for the flats containing 8 spaces, while to the rear, and underneath the house is six parking spaces for the house. Both areas are accessed from the same point along Dock Street.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well... I do hope that this is just an initial proposal. It looks identical to the bland MSC office block in Ransomes Industrial Park. Not fit for a business district the council are trying to propose. This shouldnt annoy me as much as it does, but I think this proposal has broken me. Its wrong for so so so many reasons, and is the epitome of a town with no desire, plan or direction. We must be the only large town in the country with close proximity to London, that has tons of brownfield land within walking distance of the train station that is proposing... rabbit hutch red box housing and cheap low rise offices with tons of surface parking.... :bash:

Whats worse, is that Ipswich Borough Council granted permission for a new speculative office block, they are developing, in Princes Street in 2014! Not one tenant lined up, and assume that collapsed :bash:
It does look awful. It is a bitter pill to swallow... This former nightclub had an unrealistic £3.5m price tag hence nobody was interested. The council acquired it for under a million I believe and found a developer to refurbish it. I presume they sold it to them for a little profit. The developer has done a wonderful job! Except, that isn't enough, (ignoring the large car park next door mostly used for the rail station and the car parks further north which are temporary until developed) they want to build this ugly building on the car park of the office conversion! Where do people park?!

It is laughable that the council proposed at their (read: our) own expense, building a new multi-storey car park (Crown MSCP a major failure, they cannot fill it) to ensure people within the developments have somewhere to park?! Not forgetting constructing a MSCP is 6 months (or so) of downtime... not additional capacity in that time, zero capacity.

The third office block idea is finished, as is the Travelodge planned for the old pub site. The council will be levelling the garages to make more car parking spaces. Unfortunately I don't have the intellectual capacity to understand why the council didn't just build the third office block, as Grade A office space relatively close to a railway station will always have demand if the price is right. Borrowing the funds to build and needing pay back low interest repayments, in the early days the council could have let short term at a favourable rental. This could be an IP City Centre annex.

With Birketts opposite and the crown court and magistrates courts just down the road, a competitor would have likely moved in for market rent. The issue with the council is they waited on full occupancy to begin build, rather than set a date of completion. You cannot run a business wanting to move into property that isn't built and with no timescales. Furthermore, with Suffolk councils relocating staff to Ipswich (I hear reliably that SCC staff have had to relocate to Landmark House to make room) and the police wanting to relocate their town centre desk, with communication IBC could have created tenants for said building. It is a similar story with the council subsidiaries which could have been persuaded to locate there even if sharing the same open-plan office with other sister companies of the council.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Plans for town centre of Sudbury have become a casualty of Covid with the hotel partner pulling out and proposals for Belle Vue House and the Hamilton Road area being put on the backburner: COVID-19 forces re-think for future of Sudbury Town centre » Babergh Mid Suffolk
Does anyone know the hotel chain? If it is Travelodge then it will affect the plans for Ipswich in Princes Street. Travelodge is using a CVA until the end of 2021 to reduce rents due to covid19. I suspect all other hotel chains to follow suit. I think it is therefore quite unlikely we will see work on the former Drum and Monkey pub site for another 2 years minimum.

·
Registered
19 Posts
^

Thanks for posting the images!

Quite an interesting image... from Top Left anti-clockwise... ITFC "Portman Road" Football Ground, Endeavour House, Grafton House, Crown Court, proposed Coalyard project, maltings, Royal Mail "sorting office", left... 3 bespoke office blocks; to the right.. the cinema, Willis MSCP and Wolsey Street housing, St Clare House ... Willis Building ... residential tower, Buttermarket Centre in background, Concertus office block, AXA, AXA Suffolk House, AXA MSCP and can just about spot Mariner House. In the centre - top to bottom - we have "Portman House" (Archant) just visible behind Churchmans House residential, the warehouse Gym/Staples/Office Outlet and then the fire station in the makeshift island. I left out the KFC left of the cinema.

Can anyone spot anything significant about all these buildings?

IMHO... All buildings are bespoke in design without any common theme. Not too uncommon as they weren't built at the same time. The maltings is very old, everything else is mid 20th Century (other than the cigarette factory that has undergone modifications) or later.I am guessing if they built on the fire station or warehouse site that it won't be designed to fit in with the area either. All a bit too mismatched for me, with a dogs dinner of road infrastructure along side it. I don't expect a complete clone either... just Endeavour House was built for an energy firm that hit administration and was acquired by the council council, yet the other council decided to relocate opposite as part of the Ipswich Village scheme (the area most of which captured within this photo) - despite not getting on - and decided against a similar modern glass-focused theme. The Coalyard should surely focus on a similar brick design to the maltings?! Birketts (one of the 3 office blocks mentioned above) went for brick instead of cladding - again, doesn't fit in.

The council's planned MSCP on Portman Road will not look anything like the two MSCPs located here (or one located just left of the angle of the image) and the new residential housing/flats that will be built on Portman Road opposite the football ground on current surface car parks will again - no doubt - not fit in to the surroundings. I think it is just about finding the right balance.Old and new can work, but I don't think the Coalyard works with the Grade II listed maltings at all.

·
South England
2,611 Posts
I believe the Travelodge proposal opposite the station has fallen through, and I cant see anything on the planning site so it could be that I have never seen these images. But it seems the design has been developed and ready for construction. These images are annotated as detailed design for construction while the previous state early concept design. I most probably am clutching at straws but this development is quite significant for the town given its location.

Add Architects & Urban View (Separate firms but collaborate on all projects I believe.)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I believe the Travelodge proposal opposite the station has fallen through, and I cant see anything on the planning site so it could be that I have never seen these images. But it seems the design has been developed and ready for construction.
The borough and local residents weren't happy with the design if I recall correctly. Probably the highways authority too. Travelodge were later revealed to be creating a new hotel further up near the football ground. I find it unlikely that they would require both of these hotels. I think the latter proposal has now fallen through because of covid, although it is probably a 10 year project considering IBC is behind it! So the hotel chain might later revisit it.

Maybe there is a local bylaw, but it is complete madness to think that in Ipswich there isn't much hunger to have a hotel right next to the railway station (excluding the B&B above the pub opposite that calls itself a hotel). It is complete arrogance for any car parking allocation to be included with the plans for this hotel... and I feel this is where they struggled - far too close to a junction... railway station and bus stop should be fine (after all no parking with easyhotel in the town).

·
Registered
19 Posts
I read an article on the same news site regarding the Towns Fund with the council looking to build a plaza on the office block site.

Princes Street Public Space
A planning application has been approved by the Local Planning Authority for a 749-space multi-storey car park which includes the formation of a public square within the core of the site. The square will provide an amenity within the surrounding commercial district adjacent to Ipswich Town Football Ground.

The Princes Street development site is an Enterprise Zone and the public square will be able to serve the surrounding buildings with seating, landscaping, and will provide a useable, yet flexible, public space. The square would improve public pedestrian and cycle access on this important link between Ipswich station and the core of the town centre and between the core town centre and the main adjacent office area and the football club.

Funding will aid the delivery of the public space, EV Charging points, public art, and accessible routes - i.e. all within the current planning application - as well as provide services to plots within the wider masterplan. The car park structure will be separately funded, but in itself will free up space for the delivery of the masterplan (including extensive built development).
With no drawings available it isn't clear but I originally thought the plaza would go in Portman Road but the title clearly states Princes Street Public Space. This public space plaza would fall between the multistorey car park and Princes Street itself, I wonder if it is part of the landscaping for this car park? If so, not sure why it cannot be funded through the MSCP budget. As part of the £25m scheme they are also talking about another plaza at the waterfront... both are too small to be relevant IMHO.

·
South England
2,611 Posts
With no drawings available it isn't clear but I originally thought the plaza would go in Portman Road but the title clearly states Princes Street Public Space. This public space plaza would fall between the multistorey car park and Princes Street itself, I wonder if it is part of the landscaping for this car park? If so, not sure why it cannot be funded through the MSCP budget. As part of the £25m scheme they are also talking about another plaza at the waterfront... both are too small to be relevant IMHO.
I had assumed this space to the right of the structure was the plaza that was mentioned in the outline application for the car park. If not, then I agree with you. But given the current situation, and having struggled to fill offices in the town, not to mention St Clare House will be totally empty by the end of the year I believe, shouldn't all this area be rezoned for high and mid density residential led mixed-use development?

·
Registered
19 Posts
It is on the list for funding... £25m Towns Fund... so your thoughts are correct. It will just be a copy of outside the curve bar a stone throw away likely with more trees... just the big question... WHY?!

The land has Employment Zone status (as does part of the island site) just to be a plaza? That is crazy... and being so close to the railway station and town centre, a waste of land IMHO.

As for residential... yes, but the friends of politicians prefer converting shops to flats on the cheap...council is buying the building housing Debenhams to make top floor flats... and the basement a music venue.

121 - 140 of 153 Posts