SkyscraperCity banner

21 - 40 of 87 Posts

·
Spatial Arts in Tehran!
759 Posts
You guys miss the trick I am afraid. You have to be around the center of the city to see the nice interesting buildings. Alas people sit in cars all day so what are they going to see, the crappy buildings next to the autobahns. Go for a frigging walk you lazy people and you will see it is pleasant enough. Also 13 Bedah was fine for me I walked out my door into my garden switched my fountain on and voila enjoyed myself.

·
Banned
268 Posts
it is all a matter of taste.^^

i do not find tehran ugly or chaotic. i mean when i was in rio, it was really terrible in that sense and even athens. tehran has problems with traffic and air of course. every big city has that. go to some indian or chinese cities and you will think tehran is a heaven in that regard lol. and to find a way out is difficult. so far i can only see progress there by more metro lines for now. maybe monorail could help tehran, or trailways. also more railway will help. and work to get more people out of tehran into different cities will help.
Yeah, comparing Tehran to Indian or Chinese cities, Tehran is much more cleaner and sometimes more modern. But thats not what I mean. Maybe only Iranians tend do like Tehran, because all my western friends who visited Tehran don't. There is not one tourist I could find that thinks Tehran is a beautiful city. They actually walked through it. Every Iran trip report you find will conclude the same.

Poor (modern) architecture, common ugly houses, pollution, not enough interesting places. I consider 95% of the city ugly. Dutch tourist about Tehran (I translated it):

''Our first impression of Tehran is not good. Large, dirty, chaotic and ugly. That first impression does not change. It is a colossal and chaotic city. The traffic is a disaster and crossing the street an art in itself. Fortunately, there are two subway lines, but only partly provide a solution. We stay in a hotel that was last renovated in the 50s. High ceilings, bakelite phones, an old fashioned switchboard at the reception, sagging beds and double patio doors. We imagine ourselves half a century back in time. It is actually one of the few places with charm in this city.''
More reviews:

''Teran was probably the place I was least looking forward to during my 19 day trip - smog, traffic chaos, heat and humidity, ugly concrete buildings, bustling crowds of people were some of the things I was anticipating.''

·
Registered
277 Posts
^^ I think one of the main reasons why tourist don´t like Tehran, except from the traffic and pollution is the fact, that Tehran is one of those cities where you have to know, where to go and visit. I mean Tehran doesn´t have a city-center with boutiques and shops like many other european cities. And even the central part of the city, which you might consider as the center of the city is old, busy and polluted. You have to go to the northern parts of Tehran to see the more beautiful sides of the cities. And many tourist don´t know that. They seek towards the center of the city and get disappointed.
But there are actually many charming aspects of Tehran. It has a lot of beautiful streets and boulevards with lots of trees. One of the things that I miss from Tehran is that you always find trees and green areas in most small and larger streets, which is not the case in many european cities.

·
Spatial Arts in Tehran!
759 Posts
Irane-Azad, I get your point and agree, but what I think is the major problem with farangi visiting the city is that like you say they don't know and there is no infrastructure set up to deal with visitors. There are plenty of cool touristy place dotted all over the city however even the best of guide books is only a printed resource. The Tehran council should employ a marketing agency to deal with the promotion of the city as a destination. (I am not mad) . What lacks is the coherent message from the council where they should tidy a few areas and buidlings up more for an influx of visitors. Have a coffee at Kohan Coffee Shop then head up to Vanak for shopping then have dinner in Jordan you know these kind of things would make a big difference. However they should start with the internal market like how Poland has done with big flashy marketing campaigns that each region or city vies for the money of the visitor of that country. That is how you do it.

·
a tangy drink!
4,263 Posts
I suppose Tehran is not much of a tourist centre but tourists to Iran usually end up there at some point unless they actually try to avoid it because it dominates the country and there are so many transport connections there. I think Tehran is a big place to live and work rather than visit, where as somewhere more developing like Cairo or some Indian city is somewhere to visit because there are lots of interesting things to see, but not somewhere you would ever want to live and work. But its a shame because some other cities the same size are both good for living there and visiting i.e. Istanbul.

·
Spatial Arts in Tehran!
759 Posts
I got to disagree, its marketing at the end of the day. Take a city like Moscow. Before I recently went there on work, there were many advertisements for visiting Moscow. Now I thought well I better check out the websites and did all the sites, Red Sqaure, Pushkins Library and a few other but generally it was a pretty dull city reminded me of Manchester on a rainy day, but my point is they make an international effort to promote the city as a desitnation for tourists, but because I was informed through this marketing campaign on BBC World News before I went I checked out all the sites, and Tehran is just as interesting with all the old ideological sites, american embassy, tourists thrive of this kind of thing. I recently was with a friend who brought a friend over from Germany and he was amazed how great Tehran was, now that is because he had two people who knew the city to an extent, but imagine if there was advertising to visit the "Old American Embassy" or the Bazaar" That leads me to the point that the metro station names don't make sense. IF there is a metro station outside the Bazaar call the friggin thing "Bazaar" not "15 Khordad" its marketing like I keep repeating. All I need to do now is grab Ghalibaf and tell him of this amazing idea!

·
Registered
14,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Ze Carlos_Ze said:
it is all a matter of taste.^^

i do not find tehran ugly or chaotic. i mean when i was in rio, it was really terrible in that sense and even athens. tehran has problems with traffic and air of course. every big city has that. go to some indian or chinese cities and you will think tehran is a heaven in that regard lol. and to find a way out is difficult. so far i can only see progress there by more metro lines for now. maybe monorail could help tehran, or trailways. also more railway will help. and work to get more people out of tehran into different cities will help.
its not that pretty, many parts of it atleast, it was in the 1930s, not now. period, it has many single nice place but as a whole like other iranian cities, it not very goergeous
" i dont think" blah blah blah, take a walk in around some of the normal areas, its alright. architecturally we SUFFER though, all the good parts are the older parts that were built up to the 70s, they have trees, nice architrcture and very unique layouts, but the newer parts ..

iranian cities today cant compete with most major european cities

tehran is an amazing city in my opinion but needs LOTS of work

·
Banned
268 Posts
Marketing is indeed important, but above all the city must be renovated. Away with all those ugly concrete buildings and try to make a change in the driving/traffic culture of the Iranians. More modern architecture and more interesting places for tourists to visit. Tehran is not pretty, it is ugly. And we have to change that.

·
Spatial Arts in Tehran!
759 Posts
Right, I will place a bet with you that I can create a (unreal) campaign for local and international tourists of Tehran.

·
Banned
268 Posts
Right, I will place a bet with you that I can create a (unreal) campaign for local and international tourists of Tehran.
How do you mean? In the sense of bringing more tourist spots in the limelight? Tehran does have some tourist spots, but overall the city is anti-tourist.

·
Queen of Persia
1,310 Posts
its not that pretty, many parts of it atleast, it was in the 1930s, not now. period, it has many single nice place but as a whole like other iranian cities, it not very goergeous
" i dont think" blah blah blah, take a walk in around some of the normal areas, its alright. architecturally we SUFFER though, all the good parts are the older parts that were built up to the 70s, they have trees, nice architrcture and very unique layouts, but the newer parts ..

iranian cities today cant compete with most major european cities

tehran is an amazing city in my opinion but needs LOTS of work
Couldn't have said it better.

·
Spatial Arts in Tehran!
759 Posts
I mean I bet if I make a Youtube video saying (I HEART TEHRAN) or something more creative even you boys would want to come back!

·
Banned
268 Posts
I mean I bet if I make a Youtube video saying (I HEART TEHRAN) or something more creative even you boys would want to come back!
I have seen many of those videos. Like I said: you can show some parts of north of the city, some parks, some modern shopping malls or Darband, but mostly the city is full with ugly concrete buildings. Tehran doesn't have a character and comparing it to real beautiful cities it's just completely ugly.

·
Spatial Arts in Tehran!
759 Posts
I would avoid North Tehran completely, and I don't mean those crap videos of people taking photos from their Farmanieh apartments with lame "Word Art" over the top I mean a well produced video with good graphics video segments and generally quite well produced videos. Watch this space.

·
a tangy drink!
4,263 Posts
I think Tehran is just very big metropolis and not enough attention has been paid to aesthetics. I think a simmilar result has happened with Japanese cities. But some Iranian cities do compare well enough with European ones so its not really all of Iran's problem. Esfahan for example is a relatively attractive city for tourists.

·
Spatial Arts in Tehran!
759 Posts
No you see I don't want to go down those tried and test orientalist views of other cities. If I was going to make a video to promote this city it would be the highlights, cultural, restaurants, nature, as if I was promoting it to an external audience (western, urbanite) cultural traveller, there is plenty to do in Tehran for a week easy.

·
Registered
14,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
even esfahan doesnt have anything special other than its old buildings, messy streets with ugly shops that are all run down, no real historical area (that the whole area is historical), the newer apratments are nice but they are not built in the correct area,

take a look at old tehran photos or tabriz, esfahan etc, those are cities, clean stone paved areas with matching historic buildings, not too dense , not too empty, good green space etc

·
a tangy drink!
4,263 Posts
I thought Esfahan was the cleanest and tidyest city I had seen in Iran. It really looked good. It was much better than Tehran, Mashhad or Bandar Abbas. Im not talking about just the old buildings. It has definately got many historical attractions, but the city as a whole is better looking and more pleasant for tourists (at least when the river has water in it).
For Tehran, transport and the general environment including traffic congestion and air quality needs to be sorted out before you can even think about it being a major tourist destination. Yes it has culture but so does everywhere. It has the old American Embassy but I dont think that is even open to the public. It could be an oportunity if it was used as a museum of espionage or something. All there is at the moment is the culture as you say, the palaces and the telecabin. Compare that to Istanbul.
Forgot the Bazaar sorry.

21 - 40 of 87 Posts