Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 537 Posts

·
Galactico
11,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Baghdad to review relations with Ankara

Hurriyet Daily News- August/08/2012

Iraq is to “review” relations with Turkey after foreign minister visited the northern Iraqi city of Kirkuk without informing Baghdad, government spokesman Ali al-Dabbagh said yesterday.

Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu’s visit to Kirkuk on Aug. 2 drew a furious reaction from Baghdad and brought already-chilly relations between the two countries to a new low. “The cabinet studied recent developments in Turkish-Iraqi relations and decided to review these relations in light of recent developments in a new cabinet meeting as soon as possible,” Dabbagh said in an emailed statement.

The Cabinet also decided to form a committee headed by Deputy Prime Minister Hussein al-Shahristani “to investigate the circumstances of the Turkish foreign minister’s visit to Kirkuk and present recommendations to the cabinet,” he said, according to Agence France-Presse.

Iraq’s foreign ministry responded to the visit with a statement saying “it is not in the interest of Turkey or any other party to underestimate the national sovereignty and violate the rules of international relations.” But Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan defended the visit, saying it is only normal for “a minister bearing a red passport to visit the Kurdistan Regional Government and then travel to Kirkuk, 40 kilometres from (Arbil) to meet with his kinsmen.”

·
21,595 Posts
well you have to admit that Baghdad left Turkey no other choice but to accept the KRG as the sovereign rulers of N.Iraq especially as their cooperation is vital to counter terrorism efforts against the PKK. The Baghdad government unfortunately has been quite impotent in that issue always saying that they already had problems of their own.

We have a saying, he who falls into the sea holds on to the snake.

(many people here and especially the main opposition-who was always pro Iraq- is not happy about this either but there is not much to be done about it)

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
The Cabinet also decided to form a committee headed by Deputy Prime Minister Hussein al-Shahristani “to investigate the circumstances of the Turkish foreign minister’s visit to Kirkuk and present recommendations to the cabinet,” he said, according to Agence France-Presse.
Ummmm.... well perhaps they could TRY asking Mr. Zebari what the visit was all about? :lol: Or in this case he is not the Iraqi foreign minister is he? He's a Kurdish politician? So ridiculous. :D

What's happening anyway is there some sort of cooperation going on with the Turks and the Kurds? I thought Turkey was supposed to be supporting the Turkmen on the Kirkuk issue; what are we worrying about then?

·
Galactico
11,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AN EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW WITH MALIKI

15 August 2012, Çarşamba

In an exclusive interview with A Haber, Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al Maliki stated that the Syrian regime will be brought down in the next two years. The Iraqi Prime Minister also expressed his wish to repair relations with Turkey.

The Iraqi Prime Minister made a number of important statements regarding the development of tense relations with Turkey. The following are a series of excerpts from A Haber's exclusive interview with Maliki:

"Petroleum agreements are being made with Northern Iraq. The autonomous administration is our autonomous administration. These sorts of connections need to be conducted from our central administration."

"We do not want relations with Turkey to reach a negative point. We want to form good relations. We want to develop good relations with all sides without any sort of differentiation. Trade volume with Turkey will continue to increase. Like the Saddam era, we have no intentions of interfering in any other nation's internal affairs."

"I WAS SHOCKED BY DAVUTOĞLU'S VISIT"
"Kirkuk is a region that has a very special situation. As you know, the Kurds, Turks and Arabs are all talking about Kirkuk. Nothing can be solved with one power's intervention, including Kirkuk. It can only be solved through togetherness. We formed a research committee in regards to Davutoğlu's visit. We do not want to open up Kirkuk to everyone's intervention. I was shocked when I heard about the Kirkuk visit, I was not informed. Turkey's stance was not transparent on this very sensitive issue. As a result, a new issue has been added on to the issues already existent."

"Turkey is a nation with a strong military, economy and politics. Turkey focused all of its efforts on becoming a member of the EU. Turkey opened its doors all the way for the EU. Turkey announced a zero-problem policy with its neighbors. However, the issue of ethnic discrimination is very sensitive."

"The fire in Syria will grow. We need to reassess our relationship in terms of joint relations."

"Turkey opens its arms to an individual wanted by Interpol. Not only does Turkey provide Hashimi shelter, but it also allows him to release political statements. "

"We do not want to experience problems with any nation, not just Turkey. However, this necessitates joint intentions. When I say we need to reassess relations, I do not mean the deterioration of relations; I mean to strengthen them further."
"The borders are federal borders, not regional borders. The Northern Iraq administration may open their borders; however they need to do so with the central administration's permission. If Turkey has this sort of intention, then they should come and talk to us. Borders and airports, these are all under the central administration's jurisdiction."
"THE SYRIAN REGIME WILL BE BROUGHT DOWN WITHIN TWO YEARS"

"The internal balance in Syria is sensitive. I have said that the Syria issue should not be handled from a sectarian standpoint. I also said the regime in Syria will be brought down in two years' time. However, the conflict is increasingly intensifying and people are dying. It's tough to bring down the regime in Syria with violence. Our stance when it comes to Syria is that we are in an impartial position. The Al Qaeda, which has been harbored in Syria has revived and begun to stage terrorist attacks. This is the reason that we have positioned our police and security forces in Syria."

·
Galactico
11,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Iraq sends big delegation to Tehran to boost economic ties

Azzaman, August 15, 2012

Deputy-Prime Minister Roz Shawees has taken a big delegation with him on a visit to Tehran for talks with Iranian officials to boost relations between the countries.

The delegation includes Iraqi ministers of finance, trade and industry as well as the governor of the Central Bank.

The talks are to focus on cementing cooperation and expanding it to include new areas, according to the Iraqi ambassador to Tehran, Mohammed Majeed al-Sheikh.

The discussions will cover the establishment of an Iraqi bank in Tehran and payment of debts which Iraq owes Iran for the import of Iranian electricity, according to the ambassador.

Cooperation in the field of energy is set to see further expansion as the countries are working to build joint refineries and working together to develop their joint oil fields.

On the oil development front, the countries are to dig 22 joint oil wells and explore ways of increasing output from fields straddling their international borders.

Iran has emerged as Iraq’s main trade partner in the years since the 2003-U.S. invasion. Volume of trade is mushrooming with Iranian goods filling shelves of Iraqi shops and supermarkets.

Iran, a country under punitive European and U.S. sanctions, sees the expansion of ties with neighboring states an essential component of its efforts to offset their impact.

·
Galactico
11,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
VP: Iran-Iraq Strong Ties Beneficial to Region

TEHRAN (FNA)- The strong ties between Iran and Iraq serve the interests of all the regional countries, said an Iranian vice-president.

"Today, the Islamic Republic of Iran and Iraq enjoy very good relations in different political and economic fields. The reciprocal meetings by the two countries' officials indicate the two states' determination to further boost their relations," Iranian Vice-President for International Affairs Ali Saeedlou said at a meeting with Iraq's deputy prime minister and his accompanying delegation here in Tehran on Wednesday.

He said that Iran and Iraq can work together and play vital roles in all regional developments.

"The Iraqi government's readiness for cooperation with the Islamic Republic of Iran, specially in different fields, indicates that Iraq is well aware of the regional developments, and enhancing the level of cooperation between the two countries will definitely serve the interests of all the regional states, in addition to Tehran and Baghdad."

Iran and Iraq have enjoyed growing ties ever since the overthrow of the former Iraqi dictator, Saddam Hussein, in 2003.

Both sides are working on a series of plans to take wide strides in expanding their ties.

·
Galactico
11,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Iraq ready to host next Iran-P5 +1 talks: Ambassador

Iraqi Ambassador to Tehran Mohammed Majeed al-Sheikh says Baghdad is ready to host the next round of multifaceted talks between Iran and the five permanent members of the UN Security Council plus Germany.

Sheikh said negotiations between Iran and the P5+1 group -- China, Russia, Britain, France, the US and Germany - were among the topics recently discussed between Secretary of Iran's Supreme National Security Council Saeed Jalili and senior Iraqi officials in Baghdad.

He described Iraq as a pacific state, adding that Baghdad has voiced its full preparedness to host Iran-P5+1 talks ever since Tehran expressed willingness to have Iraq as a venue for negotiations between the two sides.

Sheikh highlighted that Baghdad did it utmost to ensure the success of May talks even though certain countries were opposed to such progress.

In a telephone conversation with EU foreign policy Chief Catherine Ashton on August 2, Jalili called on the P5+1 group to provide a clear response to the ideas put forward by Tehran in the negotiations.

The meeting between Ali Baqeri and Helga Schmid was held three weeks after Iran and the P5+1 had an expert-level meeting in the Turkish city of Istanbul on July 3 with the participation of representatives and experts from both sides.

The two sides had agreed to hold the expert-level talks during their negotiations in the Russian capital, Moscow, in June.

The Moscow meetings came after three sessions of plenary talks in Baghdad in May and an earlier round of negotiations in Istanbul in mid-April.

The two sides had, prior to the Istanbul talks, held two rounds of negotiations, one in Geneva, Switzerland, in December 2010, and another again in Istanbul in January 2012.

MP/PKH/IS

·
dreams of Babylon rising
13,685 Posts
this is part of Iraq's effort to diversify arms supplies...

Maliki receives invitation from Russian President to visit Moscow
Wednesday, 01 August 2012 23:52

Baghdad (AIN) : The Premier, Nouri al-Maliki, received an invitation from the Russian President, Vladimir Putin, to visit Moscow.

The invitation was conveyed by the presidential envoy for the Middle East, Deputy Foreign Minister of Russia, Mikhail Bogdanov, and the accompanying delegation during their meeting with Maliki on Wednesday.

A statement by Maliki's office received by AIN cited "Maliki confirmed the necessity of upgrading bilateral relations between the two courtiers on all levels."
+
Read More Link on Right
"Maliki called to from a joint supreme committee to assume the task of following the concluded agreements between the Iraq and Russia," the statement added.

"For his part, Bogdanov stressed his country's desire to develop cooperation and coordination with Iraq on various levels especially in power, oil and Gas sectors," the statement concluded.

·
dreams of Babylon rising
13,685 Posts
and the americans seemingly want to nip the idea in the bud...

Joint Chiefs Chairman Dempsey to visit Iraq this month

By Kristina Wong-The Washington Times Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The Pentagon’s top officer will travel to Iraq at the end the month to check on progress in a country that has been beset by sectarian violence and political turmoil since the United Station withdrew most of its troops in December.

Army Gen. Martin E. Dempsey, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, will make a one-day stop in Baghdad, where he is expected to meet with U.S. Embassy officials and Iraqi leaders and to check the status of U.S. efforts to support Iraq’s fledgling democratic government. His will be the highest-level visit to Iraq by an American official since the withdrawal of U.S. combat troops.

“The chairman expects to discuss both internal and external security challenges facing the Iraqi government and our mutual cooperation to meet those challenges,” said Marine Corps Col. Dave Lapan, a Pentagon spokesman.

About 300 U.S. troops remain in Iraq to provide training to Iraqi forces and spearhead security for embassy staff.

Asked for the Pentagon’s response to Iran’s growing influence in Iraq since the U.S. withdrawal, Col. Lapan said, “We are concerned with malign Iranian influence throughout the Middle East, and sanctions recently enacted are intended to reduce Iran’s role in Syria and elsewhere in the Middle East.”

“The [U.S. government] continues to provide support, as requested by the Iraqi government, within the authorities and resources allocated to the mission,” Col. Lapan said.

After visiting Baghdad, Gen. Dempsey will travel to Afghanistan, where international troops are scheduled to withdraw from combat by the end of 2014.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Al-hashimi

Continue your discussion about Iraqi Arab relations here. Anyways you ask why "we" don't want relations with Arab countries. Let me remind you that Saudi Arabia still doesn't recognize the Iraqi government. Iraq has called to establish relation numerous times but they keep refusing. It's not us iraq's who don't want good relations, but it's Saudi Arabia who doesn't want relations.

Iran has shown will for relations and that's why Iraqi relations with Iran is stronger. Besides they (saudis) love saddam for fighting Shia Iran and Iraqis, love and support terrorists and hate us Shia and Iraqis in general.

·
Sumeri
1,957 Posts
Why are the Iraqis selling themselves cheap trying to make relations with Al Saud. We don't them now and we will never need them.
Because Maliki is a pussy.

·
Sumeri
1,957 Posts
I love how you tried to simplify the whole of the politics of the middle east and different strategic relations into one sentence
Thanks.

·
Banned
3,185 Posts
Let me also add that if people don't wish to have normal relations with their fellow Arabs, who just happen to adhere to another sect, then they are of course entitled to that.

The only thing I am saying is that they should not generalize and make claims about regular Arabs hating each other just because they see our useless, corrupt and totalitarian regimes/governments doing that thing.

I just find it offending when I hear people claim that all of us Sunni Arabs hate Shi'ah Arabs or that Saudis are all Wahhabis who can't wait to kill random Shi'ah. I am sure, if our Saudi residents here on the forum, would see it, they would be offended as well.

I, despite openly criticizing Iranian influence (rightly so) and Iranian nationalists harming Iraq and the Arab world, claiming ancient Semetic culture as their own etc. (forgery of history) believe in a mutual and beneficial cooperation with another Iranian regime/government - not the current one by any means.

But I don't have anything against regular Iranians just like Iraqi Shi'ah Arabs should not hate regular Arabs from Sunni majority countries or their fellow Iraqi Sunni Arabs, which unfortunately is the case and VICE VERSA (I highlighted taht so you would not misunderstand another of my posts Alulim)

That's all I have to say. I hope people can respect it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was in Egypt on the day Saddam Hussain was executed. We got in a Taxi and the taxi driver asked us found out we are Iraqi and immediately smiled and entered a conversation with us and started complementing Iraqis saying we are your brothers through these hard times and we cried for Saddam like you cried for him. He was a great leader etc ....
And we would hear similar talk on a bus in Morocco on a bus and started talking to us about the brave Iraqi resistance.
These people are brainwashed and don't really have a clue about what has been going in iraq for the past 3-4 decades.
This will be a long and complicated discussion that is not suited for this forum but I actually read a long assignment on the importance of Saddam Hussein for the Arab population worlwide and yes - most are ignorant about him and his crimes in Iraq. Let me just say that a lot of Arab people see him, or rather want to imagine him, as some kind of divine protector of Arabs who dared to stand up against the "enemies" of the Arab people and the other puppet Arab rulers. The circumstances of his death also play a huge role. Not to mention his relation to the Americans, Israelis and Iranians.

It's of course a very simplified version and obviously such sentiments are only shared by the ignorant masses in the Arab world and not people who know the full story.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alshawi1234:

Good that you moved this discussion to this thread which I have not seen until now.

You probably know this Arab proverb:

"تكتب الكتب في القاهرة, لتطبع في بيروت, و تقراء في بغداد"

"Books are written in Cairo, to be printed in Beirut, and to be read in Baghdad."

Also let me add that there is a huge respect for Iraqi Arabs all over the Arab world do to our glorious history, our immense tradition of Arab poetry, our strong Arab culture (tribalism included), our Islamic importance that is only second in the world after Hejaz (for obvious reasons), our literature, our hospitality etc. Throughout history we have been the leading Arab country together with KSA and to an extent Egypt. Nobody else has had a similar role.

Don't use a few fanatics opinion of Iraqi Shi'ah Arabs - or Shi'ah Arabs in general and apply that to all Arabs. That would be very wrong. Or don't use the same logic when speaking about other Arabs. Much of it has to do with the ignorance, the wars, problems, poverty etc. If we had a more functional region the people would follow as well, if you know what I mean.

·
Banned
3,185 Posts
But where was the Arab fury when the people watched their governments allow US troops to enter Iraq from their borders?
Is that your reply to my post? Well, did you not watch the huge protests all over the Arab world? Why do you think most Arabs were outraged by the illegal invasion?Again, you are making a big mistake, by applying the logic/selfishness of the tyranic and totalitarian Arab rulers and the opinion of the common people. That's very wrong.It will only take you a few seconds to make a quick Google search on this matter and then you can come back to me and claim that the Arab people were not against the invasion.The Arab world or the Middle East is not democratic. Since when have the common man anything to say about anything?
The opinions of regular Iraqis for example don't mean anything for our politicians. Go visit Sadr City and ask if they like our politicians or if they feel they have any say in Iraqi matters other than voting every 4 years. They only support parties because their buddies do and for secterian/religious matters not because they are truly satisfied with the politicians. I said this many times. It will take decades for our region to regain itself from all those horrible decades and to truly become ademocratic and indepenent region. I believe that the good will ultimately prevail so although I don't have high hopes I remain hopeful of a better future, maybe not for my generation but my childrens, grandchildrens or even great-grandchildrens generations .At least I want to make my part of that contribution when I finish my degree and hopefully will have some kind of say.
I for once know that I am not the only Arab who have similar thoughts and that is a good start.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Ok what i am trying to say is ..if the situation was reversed and Iraq was an ally of the US, and allowed US troops to enter and invade Saudi or Kuwait or any other country you would see outrage and protests in the streets of Iraq.

Did we see the outrage across the streets of Saudi or Kuwait?

·
Banned
3,185 Posts
Ok what i am trying to say is ..if the situation was reversed and Iraq was an ally of the US, and allowed US troops to enter and invade Saudi or Kuwait or any other country you would see outrage and protests in the streets of Iraq.

Did we see the outrage across the streets of Saudi or Kuwait?
There were many demonstrations in KSA because of the 2003 war. Even the clerics and several members of the Al-Saud family were against it. They even tried to hide the fact that they had allowed USA to use KSA land as a launching-pad for the invasion of Iraq.

Let's also not forget that Saddam, despite being an ally of KSA until 1991, tried to invade KSA. So from 1991 until 2003 the two governments were actually enemies.

Yes, I am sure we would at least in the Sunni Arab areas in Iraq. To tell you the truth I don't really know about the Shi'ah anymore because judging from the reaction of people here it's completely different to that I know of from my own experience/world.

There is no doubt that the unity between Iraqi Arabs is bigger in Iraq than here among members. That I know for sure.

1 - 20 of 537 Posts