SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Iraqi diaspora

4212 Views 105 Replies 26 Participants Last post by  Babylonian_Alwash
I am always fascinated with the stories of Iraqi people around the world, so this thread will collate videos and articles on the Iraqi diaspora.

Granted many are still Iraqi refugees/asylum seekers, we should still draw focus on their situation so this thread is dedicated to them also.

This video is about an Iraqi man living in Canada, referred to as 'Abu Iraq'.

If only we had an 'Abu Iraq' or 'Um Iraq' in the host country of many Iraqi refugees, their lives would flow a lot easier.
1 - 20 of 106 Posts
If you would like, you can also write about your interesting story.
Wow, what a guy! thanks for sharing baghdad_sara.
I remember one of our family's friends telling us of his story and how he ended up in Holland after struggling for three years on a journey that started from Russia or Ukraine to end up in Holland. He had heart problems, he told us how Iraqis were mistreated by those smuggling them through borders and how they all suffered (Arabs and Kurds). He also mentioned that some of the people with him on that journey died. He also mentioned how thankful he felt to the dutch when they treated his heart disease on their own expenses for 100k$ when he reached Holland.

I regret that I couldn't get his story on youtube and share it with millions of people, I think Iraq should have a dedicated international English speaking channel that shows documentaries about such incidents. Including that one when a boat full of Iraqi women and children was left to sink while commercial and tourist ships were watching as they were instructed not to do anything. I think it was in Australia.

I just wanted to share that..
See less See more
we left iraq for beirut in 1979. came back briefly to Iraq then left again for good in 1981. Spent the intervening years between africa, eastern europe and the UK. when I reached adulthood I left my parents house and went off, studied and worked in various countries before the final fall of saddam in 2003... i immediately looked for a job in iraq, left my job, girlfriend etc... and off to shroogistan, where I learned what iraq and iraqis were really like! LOL.

we were of course VERY LUCKY to have left Iraq at that time. I know some truly horrific stories from the Iraqis who left later on...
See less See more
Wow, what a guy! thanks for sharing baghdad_sara.
No problem, I know he is truly inspiring.
I remember one of our family's friends telling us of his story and how he ended up in Holland after struggling for three years on a journey that started from Russia or Ukraine to end up in Holland. He had heart problems, he told us how Iraqis were mistreated by those smuggling them through borders and how they all suffered (Arabs and Kurds). He also mentioned that some of the people with him on that journey died. He also mentioned how thankful he felt to the dutch when they treated his heart disease on their own expenses for 100k$ when he reached Holland.

I regret that I couldn't get his story on youtube and share it with millions of people, I think Iraq should have a dedicated international English speaking channel that shows documentaries about such incidents. Including that one when a boat full of Iraqi women and children was left to sink while commercial and tourist ships were watching as they were instructed not to do anything. I think it was in Australia.

I just wanted to share that..
Thank you for your input, most of these people often suffer similar fate and im sure they do get mistreated along the way because the smugglers know that these people are helpless. And yes that incident did occur in Australia, i remember hearing about it, correct me if im wrong but i think there is a thread about it here.

Yes, i feel the need to have a youtube channel dedicated to this, maybe a shall make one. Right now im just surfing the net and posting what i stumble across.
See less See more
we left iraq for beirut in 1979. came back briefly to Iraq then left again for good in 1981. Spent the intervening years between africa, eastern europe and the UK. when I reached adulthood I left my parents house and went off, studied and worked in various countries before the final fall of saddam in 2003... i immediately looked for a job in iraq, left my job, girlfriend etc... and off to shroogistan, where I learned what iraq and iraqis were really like! LOL.

we were of course VERY LUCKY to have left Iraq at that time. I know some truly horrific stories from the Iraqis who left later on...
Thank you for sharing, so im assuming you left Iraq at a young age thats why you went back in 2003?

I would think that leaving Iraq before the Gulf war would make things harder in settling elsewhere as opposed to the fleeing of post-war refugees?
See less See more
This is a success story of a woman who made it to Australia and is now teaching English to new-coming refugees.

^^ this guy from my high school who came from iraq got a scholarship to oxford for design but he refused the offer
Hello Everyone

I live in Amman, working with our small nonprofit organization that helps Iraqi refugees. We provide food assistance to families with no financial resources and have a small community center here. We have been working with displaced Iraqis here since 2007 and have watched as the situation went from bad to worse to better and then worse and now getting worst. International aid for Iraqi refugees is drying up but still more and more Iraqis are having to flee Iraq for their safety. When their funds run out, they are destitute, UNHCR used to provide most eligible families with a small monthly grant that was hardly enough to live on but it made it possible. Now it is taking months and sometimes over a year before UNHCR decides if the family is eligible - and most of the time now, they are not. Also UNHCR took away this benefit from many who were receiving it. People are struggling just to survive here and it's really rough. They can't survive here and yet the death threats that forced them to leave Iraq are still there. What are they to do?
See less See more
SashaCrow. I know that some people did certainly receive genuine death threats, however most of them displaced internally within Iraq. however the vast majority of Iraqi refugees outside are economic migrants trying their luck in emigrating with "the iraq situation" as a convenient excuse. There's nothing wrong with emigrating for a better life outside (we all did leave Iraq after all at one time), but to try and cover it up as a "humanitarian disaster" simply isn't true. The only true humanitarian disaster is for Iraqi IDPs and the destitute poor inside the country... the middle class who emigrated too late (perhaps, usually because they were cushty with saddam's misrule) aren't really in the same sort of predicament...

We all know this to be true.
See less See more
SashaCrow said:
I live in Amman, working with our small nonprofit organization that helps Iraqi refugees. We provide food assistance to families with no financial resources and have a small community center here. We have been working with displaced Iraqis here since 2007 and have watched as the situation went from bad to worse to better and then worse and now getting worst. International aid for Iraqi refugees is drying up but still more and more Iraqis are having to flee Iraq for their safety. When their funds run out, they are destitute, UNHCR used to provide most eligible families with a small monthly grant that was hardly enough to live on but it made it possible. Now it is taking months and sometimes over a year before UNHCR decides if the family is eligible - and most of the time now, they are not. Also UNHCR took away this benefit from many who were receiving it. People are struggling just to survive here and it's really rough. They can't survive here and yet the death threats that forced them to leave Iraq are still there. What are they to do?
I think u have a very bad image of the country, although security might not be 100% accomplished all through Iraq but still it is far better than 2007 and the years before, most of the internally displaced families (the ppl who received threats of real) are back to their original places or are living in better conditions one way or another, the govt. has been giving payments to them as well as proper, it's not as purple as it may sound when reading my words but still it I'd far different from the image you r trying to convey here,

As for those who immigrated or fled Iraq, the majority were people benefiting from the fallen regime or some who were misplaced and had no where else to go to inside Iraq and most of the latter returned back. You see the problem in the middle east is that people tend to think that once they become refugees and try to enter Europe, they would be received with roses, given a drive by a brand new Mercedes to a fancy house and some salary is sent to their house by the end of each month which is not true.

Also, there is those who are using the REPUTATION of the situation of Iraq in the media to get outside Iraq, a good example are Christian refugees who tend to over-exaggerate what happens to them in Iraq as if they are the only targeted Iraqi citizens, local Iraqi shittes were attacked on daily basis all over Iraq but when the church of karradah was attacked by alqaeda a year ago, most of the Iraqi Christians sent their refugee applications to European embassies in Baghdad and Amman although they were living in places where they were not under any immediate threat. Most of them got kicked back by now as governments in Europe are facing economic turmoil.

I still recall one report on alhurra Iraq where one refugee in the US. was told that the us. Govt. is ready to pay her family for 8 months only and then they will have to find a job and she said "this is really a bad deal, I think we better go back to Iraq"

My advice to all refugees out there who r there because they want better economic support without contributing back by getting a job, is to come back to Iraq and save themselves (and the rest of us iraqis) bad reputation and embarrassment.
See less See more
I think u have a very bad image of the country, although security might not be 100% accomplished all through Iraq but still it is far better than 2007 and the years before, most of the internally displaced families (the ppl who received threats of real) are back to their original places or are living in better conditions one way or another, the govt. has been giving payments to them as well as proper, it's not as purple as it may sound when reading my words but still it I'd far different from the image you r trying to convey here,

As for those who immigrated or fled Iraq, the majority were people benefiting from the foreign regime
'might not be' 100% accomplished? There are still dozens of bombs and attacks every single month with 100-200 people dying and hundreds of others injured every single month.

He isn't trying to convey any image here habibi, YOU are the one trying to convey a wrong image. All to please your god Al Maliki.... Maliki in 2011: 'Iraq is the safest country in the region'. :lol:

Don't know why you try your best to make it seem like this current government is doing a good job... you're such a fail.

And what the **** are you talking about 'benefiting from the foreign regime'. What does that even mean? Enough with the lies and bullshit please. We've had enough.

Unfortunately yet another thread has been ruined..
See less See more
Chounz said:
'might not be' 100% accomplished? There are still dozens of bombs and attacks every single month with 100-200 people dying and hundreds of others injured every single month.

He isn't trying to convey any image here habibi, YOU are the one trying to convey a wrong image. All to please your god Al Maliki.... Maliki in 2011: 'Iraq is the safest country in the region'. :lol:

Don't know why you try your best to make it seem like this current government is doing a good job... you're such a fail.

And what the **** are you talking about 'benefiting from the foreign regime'. What does that even mean? Enough with the lies and bullshit please. We've had enough.

Unfortunately yet another thread has been ruined..
I didn't complete my post, Plz read it again fully. One more thing, I am sick of those bastards who go out there and embarrass us Iraqis by throwing themselves on floors of airports asking for asylum which they don't deserve simply because they are a group of retards who want ppl to feed them and put the spoons into their mouths.

I lived all my life outside Iraq, I saw all kind of Iraqis, women, children and old men getting chased by the police through streets in Jordan like thieves because they had no proper residency documents, my dad is an expert in his field of study and he had to work in Jordan piling sacks of flour to get us a living when he fled the saddami regime. My family suffered too much wherever it went in the middle east and when Saddam was done we returned in 2006 and applied back to our jobs, yes it took us too much efforts to get back and get approved by the current government, but yet it was possible. We returned in a time where your alqaeda was killing ppl by dozens to go have a dinner in hell and the militias drilling the heads of Sunnis. But over all that chaos and absence of law and order in 2006 we stayed and got our rights back and we are living like any other ordinary Iraqis, we go to the local market and shop and yes, we have no idea whether one day a bombing happen and we get blasted or not. But we damn know that this is our country and it is out right to exist in it and rebuild it,

But look at your kind of ppl, the kind of ppl who still have the chance to work in Iraq and live in it like my he rest of ordinary Iraqis (did almaliki order ur dad to be executed because he wanted to practice his right of having a political party? Saddam did to mine) but still you prefer to go here and there and talk nonsense about the situation in Iraq just to make ppl think it is bad and worse than Saddam's time. TBH, u hate everything about new Iraq because you r a Sunni, although, you are well represented in the government, and ur provinces get as much funds (or may be more) than the shittes parts but you ppl r like pirates your slogan in life is (either everything or nothing)

I know the government of Iraq are not angels but still they are not devils like Saddam and they r doing their best to improve things when they r not stealing. Of course, I want things to change and become better but how is that done when everyone is not willing to come back and prove to the government that we are here and we want our rights and we want our country to improve. But ppl like prefer to destroy and not to build, instead you aid those who want evil to Iraq.
See less See more
actually chounz, 90% + of the people who are dying every month are soldiers/police/poor shias "walking" on one of their random "remembrances"... basically something that does NOT effect or endanger the vast majority of the refugees in places like jordan (mostly sunni-arabs, christians and middle-class shias).
See less See more
sheytanElKebir said:
actually chounz, 90% + of the people who are dying every month are soldiers/police/poor shias "walking" on one of their random "remembrances"... basically something that does NOT effect or endanger the vast majority of the refugees in places like jordan (mostly sunni-arabs, christians and middle-class shias).
They r simply forging the facts because there is no Sunni ruling the country .... Thats the hard truth. I see most of those I
Kinds of Iraqis on Facebook (chounz kind) posting stuff about the 90s and how they miss the days of the sanctions, they call it the good days because they were living. Good life while others were getting fucked up by lack of food.
See less See more
I agree 100% that many Iraqi's lie and use "humanitarian" excuses just to get out the country for a way into Europe.
Guess what?, just recently there has been a HUGEE influx of Iraqis from Sweden coming into London. Guess why? Because the benefits that they get from Sweden are not as much as they are in the UK. And guess what else? there's going to be a new law in the UK by next year where all benefits are going to be the same, no matter if you want to live in a 2 bed house or a 6 bed house, the benefits rewarded by the council will be the same. They are going to **** all those people. Especially all those guys living in Edgware road at the government expense getting £3000 a month, there going to go have to find a new flat in the crapest of areas. People are never happy with what they have.
See less See more
SumerianKing said:
I agree 100% that many Iraqi's lie and use "humanitarian" excuses just to get out the country for a way into Europe.
Guess what?, just recently there has been a HUGEE influx of Iraqis from Sweden coming into London. Guess why? Because the benefits that they get from Sweden are not as much as they are in the UK. And guess what else? there's going to be a new law in the UK by next year where all benefits are going to be the same, no matter if you want to live in a 2 bed house or a 6 bed house, the benefits rewarded by the council will be the same. They are going to **** all those people. Especially all those guys living in Edgware road at the government expense getting £3000 a month, there going to go have to find a new flat in the crapest of areas. People are never happy with what they have.
If u r not happy with what u have then work to get better things in life, this is what he Chinese do, Iraqis prefer to beg for it.
See less See more
yaaaaa!!! down with the iraqi beggars! hope all these retards on "ratib" (LOL) finally get their comeuppance.
1 - 20 of 106 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.