14,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...tonight on RTE

Micheal Collins (my choice)

John Hume

Bono (lol!)

Mary Robinson

James Connolly

You can tell straight away RTE put this to a public vote. Over the last 5 weeks the candidates have been lauded on different programs about why they should be given the title.

Pick Bono for the laugh though....

·
Registered
975 Posts
I know many don't think she's an appropriate candidate, but I really feel Robbo is underestimated in the significance she has played in this country's history...
I thought David McWilliams put forward a very compelling case for her, but unfortunately it was too late.

Collins will win; mainly due to the film Neil Jordan made about him!!!

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
I agree with belfastuniguy.

I'd also like to have seen some people like T. K. Whitaker or Noël Browne on the list.

I hope Collins wins tonight, though. Actually, anyone but Bono.

·
Registered
14,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
And it goes to................John Hume

- Firstly wtf!?

- Secondly Micheal Collins was the finest economic and military brain of the last century. Even Birkenhead said he would have been worth 10 Generals such was the respect they had for him.

I don't doubt Hume's ability and intellect or the work he did in the North but this is simply wrong IMHO. Let's get real - the guy has not been murdered or executed for the cause has he?

Anmd I know from reading dispatches between the SDLP and the Department on NI in Dublin that he was no angel either.

·
Registered
975 Posts
It was a vote for Miriam O'Callaghan... Although, John Hume is indeed a venerable candidate and worthy of some accolade.
I'm not the biggest Michael Collins fan I have to say, but there could have been better choices I think.
I know many see him as an opportunist, but Theobald Wolftone's message always stood out as admirable to me. I was surprised no pre-20th century candidates were included in the list.

Anmd I know from reading dispatches between the SDLP and the Department on NI in Dublin that he was no angel either.
I've heard the rumours/stories from those in the know, poor Pat. However, his personal indiscretions shouldn't really impact on the greater good he did for others...

·
22,314 Posts
And it goes to................John Hume

- Firstly wtf!?

- Secondly Micheal Collins was the finest economic and military brain of the last century. Even Birkenhead said he would have been worth 10 Generals such was the respect they had for him.

Wouldn't go that far....

I don't doubt Hume's ability and intellect or the work he did in the North but this is simply wrong IMHO. Let's get real - the guy has not been murdered or executed for the cause has he?
So you have to have been murdered or executed to qualify as a great Irish people..........do one will you.

·
niterider
397 Posts
I think Mary Robinson should definitely be in the top 5. She may not be in the spotlight a lot these days but she's still out there trying to make a difference, and has done so much work at a global level

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I'm no expert on Economics, but was Michael Collins really the finest Economic brain of the last century? :eek2:

And Military brain too?

·
Registered
14,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well he dispersed and hid the independence loans - he was an accountant. Ran the economy when the Free State was established. Lead the country through the civil war. Ran the IRB and the Free State army, negotiated with the most ruthless British conservatives ever assembled in Downing Street - Churchill etc..............all before the age of 31 when he was shot!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Collins_(Irish_leader)

Birkenhead said during the treaty negotiations

"Where was Micheal Collins during the Great War? He would have been worth 10 Generals to the British".......People like that don't say things like that unless they mean it. The facts speak for themselves.

An extraordinary (but ruthless) man by any stretch of the imagination.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
They offered Mick O'Leary it but he refused citing his time will come.

He is Ireland's most influential businessman and the only Irish man on the list of the World's most respected CEOs.

·
22,314 Posts
Well he dispersed and hid the independence loans - he was an accountant. Ran the economy when the Free State was established. Lead the country through the civil war. Ran the IRB and the Free State army, negotiated with the most ruthless British conservatives ever assembled in Downing Street - Churchill etc..............all before the age of 31 when he was shot!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Collins_(Irish_leader)

Birkenhead said during the treaty negotiations

"Where was Micheal Collins during the Great War? He would have been worth 10 Generals to the British".......People like that don't say things like that unless they mean it. The facts speak for themselves.

An extraordinary (but ruthless) man by any stretch of the imagination.

So??

Are you trying to say that Michael Collins was a greater economist than Keynes, the father of modern macroeconomics??? What about Ludwig Von Mises or Friedrich Hayek of the Austrian School?

Best you stick to things you know something about. Michael Collins is by no stretch of the imagination the 'greatest economic brain of the 20th century'. What a bloody joke

·
Registered
14,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
So??

Are you trying to say that Michael Collins was a greater economist than Keynes, the father of modern macroeconomics??? What about Ludwig Von Mises or Friedrich Hayek of the Austrian School?

Best you stick to things you know something about. Michael Collins is by no stretch of the imagination the 'greatest economic brain of the 20th century'. What a bloody joke
I am obviously talking about from the Island of Ireland.:nuts:

·
Registered
779 Posts
No Lord Kelvin? No CS Lewis? No Harry Ferguson? Frank Pantridge? Sir James Martin? John Dunlap? Van Morrison? Joey Dunlop? etc....

Seems to be a bit too southern-centric... :(

1 - 20 of 40 Posts