SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Dalek
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Formerly the Travel West Midlands Stadium Sports & Social Club on Wheelers Lane in Kings Heath. Now the new Irish Centre Birmingham, here's the current proposals which include hotel, bar, function room, Irish shop, boxing club, Gaelic football pitch, 3G soccer pitch and other sporting facilities.

01. LOCATION PLAN

02. EXISTING SITE PLAN

03. SURVEY OF EXISTING BUILDING

04. PROPOSED SITE PLAN

05. PROPOSED ELEVATIONS

06. PROPOSED PLANS

·
The promised land
17,391 Posts
Architecturally rubbish but a good upgrade and addition of facilities. A pity that it didn't include a hockey pitch as they are much sought after and lacking in the city.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
A pity that it didn't include a hockey pitch as they are much sought after and lacking in the city.
Hockey isn't such a big deal amongst the Irish community though. With Billesley Tennis Centre and Moseley RFC all linked here with Billesley Common, it's somewhat of a sports hub in South Birmingham.

With Pairc Na hÉireann on Catherine de Barnes Lane losing two pitches to the new M42/Airport link road, the additional GAA pitch will be very welcomed, surprised they didn't squeeze two in. Although I think the Highways Agency compo and availability of additional land at Catherine de Barnes will see that facility fully restored and hopefully grown and improved in the not too distant future.

Overall it's a win-win-win IMO. This is a much better facility than the Irish centre in Digbeth, it's a big improvement on what was the transport sports and social, and the site in Digbeth will be much improved also.

·
The promised land
17,391 Posts
Hockey isn't such a big deal amongst the Irish community though. With Billesley Tennis Centre and Moseley RFC all linked here with Billesley Common, it's somewhat of a sports hub in South Birmingham.
hence why i said lacking in the city.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
hence why i said lacking in the city.
Sincere apologies, I'm sure you're right.

I wasn't criticising, just suggesting that the Irish Community are unlikely to fund or install a hockey pitch at their premises, as there's little demand for it within their community.

Also, whilst across the city Hockey facilities may be sparse (I wouldn't know), there are quite a few in Solihull - near to this site that I am aware of. Olton, Knowle and Hampton in Arden all have Hockey facilities off the top of my head.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts