Votes: 109 75.7%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 192 Posts

·
Banned
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what u think ? is Berlin for YOU a megacity yes or no ? a pair of facts about BERLIN : Berlin is the capital of germany

- Berlin is the politic "powerhouse" of germany
-berlin have around 6000 restaurants :runaway: and a few hundered cafes and bars
-it has a small but :runaway: skyline :the potsdamer platz since 1999
-berlin in his city limits have around 900 km 2
berlin in his city limits have 3,4 milion inhabitans ,the urban core have 4,2 millions (citypopulation . de)
-berlin havse regional trains m,suburban trains and underground trains
-b. have Buses, metro buses, metro trams ,trams and ferries on the river havel
-b. have rich (Zehlendorf ,dahlem,Wilmersdorf,froghnau,hermsdorf,kladow,karlshorst...) and poor (Hohenschönhausen,lichteberg north ,Hellersdorf , marzahn ,Kreuzber,Neukölln north , Moabit ,Wedding ,Schöneberg norh ...) districts
-in the Southwest of Berlin lies Potsdam the beautiful capital of the state brandenburg 120000 inh. ) it is practically the biggest "suburb" of berlin , but in reality one of the most beautiful cities in eastern germany (castles like charlottenhof , sanscouci, babelsberg and lakes like Heiliger see)

soo what you think ist berlin for you a megacity ? , please poll and write your statement here ..... :) :) :)

·
Super Moderator
11,286 Posts
Buddy, if those are your arguments to make it a Megacity, then Berlin is in trouble.
How does 6000 restaurants and cafes make it so?
And what is a megacity? Are you trying to put Berlin the same category as London or New York?
I don't think so, Berlin is big, but even for the whole of Germany it plays a minor role

·
Banned
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kngkyle said:
sorry no, there are only a few mega cities.. mainly ones with over 20 million in population.
thats not true there a 5 FIVE cities with more than 20 million inhabitans worldwide :1.) Tokyo 34 ml.
2.) NYC 23 mll. 3.) MEXICO 23 mll. 4.) SEoul 21 mll. 5.) sao paulo 20 mll. Source : citypopution.de

·
Banned
2,098 Posts
I would think not! Nowhere areound the megacity status! :)

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
It's a pretty big and important city... but I'd say Megacity would be something like NYC or Tokyo

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
CrazyCanuck said:
I think calling Berlin an ordinary city is a vast understatement. It is the quintessential city of the twentieth century.
Right. Let's PLEASE not reduce Berlin to "ordinary" status.

But no, it's not really a megacity.

·
Registered Winner!
108 Posts
Berlin city proper is around 3.2 million and has a metro population of 4.5 million i think it is, no berlin is not a megacity, would you consider toronto a megacity, or sydney? i think not, berlin does play a very important role on a global economy scale but still not a megacity. megacities are places like tokyo, nyc, sao paulo rio, mexico city, seoul, london, maybe paris, and los angeles might be able to squeeze in there

·
Journeyman
16,814 Posts
Berlin is a nice city - I enjoyed my visit a couple years ago - but I agree that it's not a megacity. And I agree that Toronto and Sydney are good comparisons (I've also been to those places recently).

Also, it seems to lack big focal points. There's no Times Square or Shibuya. I wasn't impressed with Pottsdammer Platz (boooring), and the area around Emperor Wilhelm Church (am I getting this right?) was nice but didn't feel like a center.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Do billboards really make a city a mega city? Paris has no Times Sq. or Shibuya and it is a mega city.
A city does not need a single focus point, and for christ sakes, the city was split in half by a godamn wall for almost thirsty years so it could not have a single focus point. Also, an intersection with billboards is not a focal point.

·
Kibic
537 Posts
Gordon Freeman said:
Berlin city proper is around 3.2 million and has a metro population of 4.5 million i think it is, no berlin is not a megacity, would you consider toronto a megacity, or sydney? i think not, berlin does play a very important role on a global economy scale but still not a megacity. megacities are places like tokyo, nyc, sao paulo rio, mexico city, seoul, london, maybe paris, and los angeles might be able to squeeze in there
London and Paris are not megacities. Their urbanized areas do not exceed 10 million.

·
Banned
5,987 Posts
polako said:
London and Paris are not megacities. Their urbanized areas do not exceed 10 million.
what do you smoke?

:crazy:

First, because these two cities are perhaps the very definition of mega cities

Second, both have urbanized areas that DO in fact exceed 10 million. Paris hovers around 10 million and London aroun 15 million!

:crazy2:

1 - 20 of 192 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.