Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
21,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Following on from a similar thread on the Manchester forum asking is Manchester still part of Lancashire? Can somebody please clarify this in respect of Birmingham and Warwickshire? Another reason why i ask this is becouse i have recently been getting my payslips come through the post from work and the address quite clearly said Birmingham, Warwickshire:nuts:

·
Disco and drugs trade
15,947 Posts
Bits of Birmingham were in Warickshire, when I lived in the South West my school had the 3 pears of Worstershire, and I think a lot of the NW is in Staffordshire. Birmingham of course has been in the West Midlands since the early 70s. and the border changes.

·
Proud European
6,474 Posts
Quite right.

Where I am in Bournville was Worcestershire, as was large swathes of this part of the city. Even the practice pitch next to Warwickshire Cricket Ground was Worcestershire.

And I think you're right too about the Staffs link too.

And I like the fact that you've got a Birmingham, Warwickshire postmark. Excellent.

Personally I wouldn't mind if they called us Warwickshire, Worcestershire or Staffordshire, as long as they got rid of the damned awful non-decript West Midlands tag. Yuk!

·
This is PWEI-zation!
1,183 Posts
Apparently, three of suburban-Birmingham's ancient parishes were in the old Forest of Arden!

·
Change is Here!
4,082 Posts
Yeah. -Ley is old english for a forest clearing apparently... Moseley, Yardley, Shirley, Frankley, Weoley etc.

I also heard that one of the things which inspired Treebeard and the Ents in the Lord Of The Rings was Tolkien witnessing these Forests being cleared to make way for the expansion of these areas. Not sure how true any of that is though, but its an interesting story!

·
lime-hating shrublet
21,804 Posts
Personally I wouldn't mind if they called us Warwickshire, Worcestershire or Staffordshire, as long as they got rid of the damned awful non-decript West Midlands tag. Yuk!
:pepper: :pepper: :pepper:

I agree. I can't bear these specially created names just to group places together. :gaah:

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
Parts of the original Sutton Coldfield district are stuck in Warwickshire :(

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had no idea areas of Sutton Coldfield were still in Warwickshire. I was always under the impression that Birmingham took over the whole borough of Sutton Coldfield in 1974- this is what has always been stated, although Birmingham City Council probably wouldn't bother stating such a fact.

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
Nope, some of the land to the east of the Sutton bypass is part of Sutton Coldfield but Warwickshire. :yes:

·
Brummie Angeleno
15,248 Posts
Wasn't Dudley in an "island" of Worcestershire? I thought I saw it on an old map once. I also think the area where Staffs, Warks and Worcs used to meet was close to the Hagley Road somewhere.

·
Registered
14,982 Posts
Yes, Dudley was part of Worcestershire.

I enclose a scan from a book titled, Conurbation: A palnning survey of Birmingham and the Black Country by the West Midland Group. Its from 1948 but shows the counties before the West Mids and also the administrative differences between areas.

There is a map showing the expanding Birmingham over time:

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/image.aspx?compid=22958&filename=fig01.gif&pubid=104

HARBORNE ancient parish formed an arm of Staffordshire projecting between Warwickshire and Worcestershire. Smethwick, the northern part of the ancient parish, became a separate civil parish in 1894 and, remaining outside the city of Birmingham, a separate county borough in 1906

From: 'The Growth of the City', A History of the County of Warwick: Volume 7: The City of Birmingham (1964), pp. 4-25. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=22959. Date accessed: 01 July 2007.
p.s. it did the citation automatically, im very impressed, shame dont need it for anything academic.

·
SSC Geek
2,795 Posts
Wow, didn't know that Dudley was a little outpost of Worcestershire surrounded by Staffordshire.

·
Brummie Angeleno
15,248 Posts
No Brum x - the West Midlands took over in 1974, whereas before the city was split between Worcs, Warks and Staffs.
I think I know where the 3 way county position was - where the old Odeon cinema sits on the Hagley Road in Quinton.

Also - that map above shows how the towns really come together to form a Greater Birmingham - that is the urban bulk and there's no other way around it. No silly names like Sandwell too....

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Following on from a similar thread on the Manchester forum asking is Manchester still part of Lancashire? Can somebody please clarify this in respect of Birmingham and Warwickshire? Another reason why i ask this is becouse i have recently been getting my payslips come through the post from work and the address quite clearly said Birmingham, Warwickshire:nuts:
Manchester's not in Lancashire anymore (In that it's not governed by Lancashire county council), but it's still part of the "Palatine" of Lancashire, which was some sort of ancient means of devolving a county. This means in Lancashire you don't toast the Queen, but the Duchy of Lancaster - who is the Queen.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts

·
Brummie Angeleno
15,248 Posts
But it has as an official county name - even though I hate it. One question for you MartinN - how come Coventry uses Travel Coventry Buses, Warks Fire, Warks Ambulance and West Mids Police?? Talk about all over the shop lol!

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
But it has as an official county name - even though I hate it. One question for you MartinN - how come Coventry uses Travel Coventry Buses, Warks Fire, Warks Ambulance and West Mids Police?? Talk about all over the shop lol!
It's because Coventry was lumped in with the West Midlands when it really should have stayed within Warwickshire for its services - i.e. Warwickshire Police, Warwickshire Fire Service, etc. The reason being that Warwickshire does not have a major population centre and its services are stretched too thin. The chief constable of Warwickshire wanted Coventry brought back into Warwickshire Police for years (I believe there have been on/off plans to do this over the years, certainly reports made suggesting it). The ambulance service did do this, but I believe it's now part of a massive service that takes in a larger geographical area, although Coventry's ambulance service is managed from Leamington, which is the Warickshire HQ. I imagine they'll all end up going that way, though.

I don't know about Travel Coventry, but it makes sense for Cov buses to be called this, even though they're just part of Centro, and are utterly shite. You see other bus operators around Coventry, though. Not that I ever use them (Or intend to).

Bring back this!:)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/County_of_the_City_of_Coventry

·
Registered
709 Posts
No Brum x - the West Midlands took over in 1974, whereas before the city was split between Worcs, Warks and Staffs.
I'm sorry but you're wrong too! The whole of Birmingham was part of Warwickshire when the West Midlands County was formed. Sutton Coldfield and Solihull were also in Warwickshire, but Smethwick was in Staffordshire. All of this is quite clear on the map 'Local Authority Boundaries - 1947' shown on this thread. It is true that originally places like Soho and Handsworth were in Staffordshire, and the SW suburbs such as Kings Norton in Worcestershire, but all of Birmingham was brought into Warwickshire for administrative convenience some time between WW1 and WW2, probably in the early 1930s.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts