please vote...:)

• yes

Votes: 39 69.6%
  • no

Votes: 17 30.4%
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
39,248 Posts
The argument that we are vastly under populated is quite a strong one. A small population attempting to service vast geography has always been an incredible financial strain. Building and maintaining a massive infrastructure of roads, rail, dams, airports, transmission lines, ports, etc. is a burden. Defending our territory and patrolling our coast lines add to the strain.

Then there's the whole argument that Canadian industry has never had a large enough domestic market to make our industries efficient. It's only through the FTA (and subsequent NAFTA) that this has been mitigated somewhat. We still need to export to build world scale industries that can compete on price. The cost of transporting goods to distant places lowers our standard of living as the cost is spread over a small number of consumers.

Southern Ontario/Quebec are the only regions of Canada that have a critical mass of population. It's no surprise that they're also the regions of Canada that have managed to move beyond resource extraction and build world scale (non resource) businesses. All other areas could do with vastly higher populations. They'll need to if they're ever to develop diversified economies.

·
Banned
8,602 Posts
As long as our government could handle the population, such as providing jobs, sustaining the law of supply and demand, and taking care of the citizens who lives below the poverty line. So far i think we're doing just fine, and i think our country could still manage to attract FDI and provide job opportunities, with the issues of manpower are being addressed with the hiring of temporary foreign workers to fill in the lack of young and skilled workers gap.

Therefore i voted No. ;)

·
Banned
8,602 Posts
Oh yah, i also think that as long as our military could monitor every inch of our territory, despite the small number of our troops, then i wont consider our country is underpopulated. Beside we got allies who could help defend our huge country in case of Chinese or Russian attack from the north pole. Though i think it will never happen in my lifetime. :D

·
Premium Member
79,203 Posts
I think we can absolutely increase our population, but don't forget that most of our population lives within a 200 mile range from the USA border. The further north you go, the thinner and less arable the soil is. You cannot just take the size of the country and divide it by the number of people to get an accurate idea of how densely populated it is.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
I would love to see the territory population swell up to 1-2 million. That would be cool.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Well, according to Wikipedia, we are 229th for population density.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_and_dependencies_by_population_density

3.57 people per square km.

If we could expand the towns that are small, such as the capitals in the Yukon and NWT, as well as the northern parts of all of the provinces, yet hold the major cities at what they are now, we could stand to gain about 5 million people and not be overly destructive to the country, or without a severe strain on the resources.

If Canada were to close it's boarders with other country's trade, we could be self sufficient.

·
D & Y
98,128 Posts
unfortunately we can't hold the pop from growing in the major cities and unless there is some huge business investments I don't see people would move to the northern regions of the country.

·
Grof
407 Posts
Vast swaths of Canada are not considered habitable by 99(.9)% of the world population. The fact that most of Canada is a short drive to the US border is not an accident.

In any case, I am far, far from a population explosion cheerleader. I remain 100% unconvinced that highly populated countries equal a better quality of life. If anything, I'd say the compass runs the other way.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
I live in SK, so my answer is an easy YES!! :lol:

Reactions: bozenBDJ

·
Registered
298 Posts
Yes it is but that's not a bad thing, i'm not sure this planet really needs any more development. Anyway without some serious climate change it won't happen any time soon, there's a reason why fort mac hasn't grown into a metropolis of a million. People go there, put up with it for a while and get the hell out with a boat load of cash. Even Southern Ontario is only border line habitable in the winter!

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
well the question is about Canada.. not the whole planet.. :D

·
39,248 Posts
well the question is about Canada.. not the whole planet.. :D
Barring a closing of our borders, it's inevitable that Canada will take in a fair bit of over population from overseas. Even excluding the Canadian Shield and the northern 80% of our land mass, Canada would still rank as a large country. A case in point, southern Ontario alone is the same size as England. The southern prairie could support 5 times its current population and still be relatively empty.

·
39,248 Posts
I think we can absolutely increase our population, but don't forget that most of our population lives within a 200 mile range from the USA border. The further north you go, the thinner and less arable the soil is. You cannot just take the size of the country and divide it by the number of people to get an accurate idea of how densely populated it is.
Quite right. The world in the 21st century isn't as dependent on agricultural land as before, but it's still important. I posted this a few weeks ago and thought it would fit here too. The Canadian prairie is a lot bigger than the part we're currently using. With the 6-10C temperature rise predicted in this part of the country by 2100, this region could experience a big spike in population. The current population of the 'red' swath sits at about 6.4 million, just a hair more than Toronto.

America's Interior Plains

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interior_Plains

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
unfortunately we can't hold the pop from growing in the major cities and unless there is some huge business investments I don't see people would move to the northern regions of the country.
Well there are a lot of minerals that needs being extracted there, and with that comes infrastructure. So, that is one reason the North's population will grow. ANother reason - correct me if I am wrong - but there is a push to populate the North and get infrastructure there so to better protect our territories.

I don't know - Russian, arctics, minerals... not a good combo.

·
39,248 Posts
Yes it's in our national interest to settle and populate as much of our territory as possible. The impetus is for national security, to further our claims in the Arctic, and to unlock the vast economic potential of the northern half of our country.

The north has tremendous natural resource wealth, but without roads, ports, and infrastructure it's very difficult to make economical. We're slowly moving ever further north with Alberta leading the way. The oil sands has led to a population boom in Ft. Mac and with that has come development. It's not hard to see the links between Ft. Mac and Yellowknife getting stronger and stronger.

I wouldn't be surprised to see 1 million people living north of Edmonton within a few decades. That whole red swath in the map I posted above could see huge population gains over the coming decades.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Yes it's in our national interest to settle and populate as much of our territory as possible. The impetus is for national security, to further our claims in the Arctic, and to unlock the vast economic potential of the northern half of our country.

The north has tremendous natural resource wealth, but without roads, ports, and infrastructure it's very difficult to make economical. We're slowly moving ever further north with Alberta leading the way. The oil sands has led to a population boom in Ft. Mac and with that has come development. It's not hard to see the links between Ft. Mac and Yellowknife getting stronger and stronger.

I wouldn't be surprised to see 1 million people living north of Edmonton within a few decades. That whole red swath in the map I posted above could see huge population gains over the coming decades.
Especially with the Bridge over the Mackenzie River now, there isn't a seasonal demand anymore (Well, there is, but it's steady transportation-wise now).

I honestly don't deny the 1 million over Edmonton. If the Territories grow at their 2006-2011 pace, which is about 6%, they'll be about 114,000 strong and if they kept 6% for a decade over a 5 year split (So 6% twice) They'd have 121,000 people.

With current growth rates it wouldn't take long for the Territories to beat PEI in population. Over Edmonton is the North of every province and all of the Territories. Over Edmonton's latitude we already have I would gander just about 500,000 give or take 20,000. I will develop an in-depth list below this post to show total (estimated) population above the Latitude of Edmonton, I am using exact latitude, so if the co-ordinates are *01'0 above, it doesn't matter, it counts.

·
39,248 Posts
500,000 was also my guess for the population living further north than Edmonton. Btw, use what ever latitude that excludes Edmonton suburbs. It will make the data more credible. I think the data will be very interesting.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Barring a closing of our borders, it's inevitable that Canada will take in a fair bit of over population from overseas. Even excluding the Canadian Shield and the northern 80% of our land mass, Canada would still rank as a large country. A case in point, southern Ontario alone is the same size as England. The southern prairie could support 5 times its current population and still be relatively empty.
Funnily enough, despite it's 50+ million population England is surprisingly empty and also manages to grow a good chunk of it's food.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts