1 - 20 of 199 Posts

·
!eccentric!
762 Posts
Chicago is beautiful!:eek:kay: Definitely a world class city!:eek:kay:

·
Banned
5,848 Posts
I say yes. there has been some debate as to weather Chicago is or not. whether is can sustain its growth. what do you think?

some good info posted in another thread....http://www.lboro.ac.uk/gawc/projects/projec32.html
I'll be honest, not with the crap, oh it rocks. I think it isn't.

World cities in the US you have New York (which BTW many people in here think it is the capital of the US), Los Angeles and San Francisco.

But from what I've seen it has all what's needed to be a world class city, famous worldwide.

If I was the mayor I would do publicity abroad (not like it is begging for tourists, but simply showing the greatness of the city), make it look more cosmopolitan and modern and add some distinguishing features.

·
less is more
978 Posts

·
Chicago Photographer
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So you opened this thread just because of a couple comments made by LLoydGeorge in the CS thread?
sure why not? a mod said not to talk about it over there. i'm interested in knowing why or why not Chicago isnt a global city. and what exactly qualifies a city as one.

correct me if I'm wrong, but this is a forum where issues like this are discussed. am I missing something?

·
Chicago Photographer
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Seeking Affiliation
1,217 Posts
Chicago, definitely a major world city of Alpha World Status

Chicago is definitely a world city. In fact, it's considered an Alpha World City B along with Singapore, Hong Kong, Los Angeles, and Frankfurt.

Here are other reasons:

Chicago or rather "Chicagoland" is a huge urban area. :yes:

Chicago is the freight-rail hub of the United States.

"Chicagoland" is the second largest air hub in the U.S. after the New York Tri-State Area.

It has the most influencial and powerful mercantile exchange in America [Chicago Mercantile Exchange].

It is the fourth largest metropolitan economy in the world after Greater Tokyo, New York Tri-State Area, and Greater Los Angeles/"Southland."

It has the second largest skyline in the U.S.

It has, probably, a larger industrial area than New York.

·
Premium Member
79,203 Posts
Chicago is a city that traditionally keeps its nose to the grindstone and doesn't brag a lot... this causes a lot of people to underestimate its wealth and power. If people in parts of Europe think NYC is the capital of the USA, then probably they won't know much about Chicago, and base their choices on what they have seen on postcards (like San Francisco).

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
financially yes

the impact it has culturally beyond its region - NO

its a very american - midwestern city
lower case yes, caplocks NO? How come:hm:

As for it being very American explain please? Is it's geography, being in the middle of the country? I don't think that plays a role. If you base this on it's cultural diversity, Chicagoland has over 1 million foreign born immigrants.

·
Banned
568 Posts
lower case yes, caplocks NO? How come:hm:

As for it being very American explain please? Is it's geography, being in the middle of the country? I don't think that plays a role. If you base this on it's cultural diversity, Chicagoland has over 1 million foreign born immigrants.
of the major cities, it just gives off a very good old american city feel. not an insult in anyway.

1 - 20 of 199 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.