Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
People say Chicago is considered a dirty city. Despite its clean residential neighborhoods, it is known to have some of the country's filthiest streets. Many people say Chicago is as it is cause of its cultural diversity. I believe that Culture is not a factor but economic status is. Please post your pictures of "Dirty Chicago" and your city's slums.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Oh that is rich. How about them slaughter houses in Des moines along with those fabulous unpaved roads that go along with the extremely unenlightened neighborhoods the slaughter houses are in (if they are even still open)-the fabled East Side of Des Moines, no thank you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What?

Look, Im not dissing you city. I love Chicago; people just say its so dirty, thats all. I admit Des Moines is bad city. I don't like it. I represent it only (i live 37 miles north west in Perry, IA) You are right, the eastside has bad housing.
Don't get me wrong here. People are just too critical...

·
Registered
469 Posts
Skycraper Freak said:
People say Chicago is considered a dirty city. Despite its clean residential neighborhoods, it is known to have some of the country's filthiest streets. Many people say Chicago is as it is cause of its cultural diversity. I believe that Culture is not a factor but economic status is. Please post your pictures of "Dirty Chicago" and your city's slums.
Have you ever been to Chicago? Have you been to any other big cities (nothing in Iowa counts)?

Most people I know of who come to Chicago talk about how clean it is...especially downtown. Are some areas dirty? Of course. That's called urban. Don't mistake "dirty" for "urban."

We go to great lengths to clean this city and make it aesthetically pleasing. In fact, some people criticize Mayor Daley for going overboard with his large-scale city beautification initiatives.

As a whole, and on a comparative basis, Chicago IS NOT a dirty city. Who is telling you that it is dirty? I would bet that most of the people who are telling you it is dirty are people from Des Moines or whatever hick town you're from outside of it. They probably know little, if anything about cities and how to critique an urban landscape. Consider the source.

·
muted
7,080 Posts
Chicago is dirty because of its cultural diversity?

What the HELL does that mean?

It looks like you just joined SSC, so I'll give you a clue... If you make statements like this, people here will absolutely, unequivocally own you. You won't get by here unless you formulate your statements more carefully.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Chicago is cleaner than most urban US cities without a doubt, it's often a surprise to many visitors who still have the stereotypical image of Chicago as "hogbutcher to the world." So much so that they leave quite impressed.

·
Registered Yooser
1,456 Posts
Skycraper Freak said:
Goto Bangkok or Macau...then say Chigago is dirty. bigot.

·
abdulsharifshoots.com
1,701 Posts
hydrogen said:
Chicago is dirty because of its cultural diversity?

What the HELL does that mean?

It looks like you just joined SSC, so I'll give you a clue... If you make statements like this, people here will absolutely, unequivocally own you. You won't get by here unless you formulate your statements more carefully.
did he say "chicago is dirty because of its cultural diversity?" I don't think he did, he even said culture wasn't a factor.

i think certain parts of all cities can be considered "slums" and "dirty'. Its not just Chicago. And you can blame neglect by the city, and not the people who live in the "dirty" area.

·
Formerly InTheLoop
485 Posts
Yeah, there are sections of the city that are not spotless by any imagination. And, we could do a better job. BUT, our Benovolent Dictator, Mayor Daley will not allow this city's image to be tarnished by trash in areas where the majority of visitors will see. Given the density and overall number of residents, there is a shockingly low amount of graffiti, and our parks are spotless. The only area I ever feel a bit of urban grit in my day to day living, is in Bucktown/Wicker Park along Milwaukee Avenue. I generally don't spend much time in areas where it is trashy, and neither do most residents.

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Skycraper Freak said:
ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And we applaud your perceptiveness for sharing this observation, Skycraper Freak. Chicago never experienced the high rise office and residential boom that many other cities have had. Yet our skyline still is quite large and tall due to the all the factories that line our river and lakefront, belching smoke into the air and pollutants into the water. Lake Shore Dive (yes, Dive, not Drive)is a street lined with steel mills and stock yards, right on Lake Michigan. In fact, you can see pigs being slaughtered at the Museum Campus, which is our #2 tourist attraction (Al Capone's HQ on the South Side is #1 and you can still see the underwolrd leaders who control the city going to their offices there). Another portion of the lakefront is dominated by a cemetery affectionately known as the "Gold Ghost".

Our so called "Magnificent Mile" is actually a two block stretch of Michigan Avenue with drug deals taking place in the open and the homeless sleeping on the sidewalks. We are, however, proud that K-Mart has openned an exclusive store on the Mag Mile at Water Filter & Disinfection Place; you have to check out Martha Stewart's Stripes-and-Numbers boutique within the store. I recently saw the wonderful paint-by-the-number collection at the Art Institute, the museum's top viewed exhibition. Be sure to see the pictures of the dogs playing poker as well; they're a hoot. Gas to heat our homes is still produced downtown at the Merchandise Fart.

While most of the Loop and adjoining areas have been abadoned years ago due to blight, a number of the old and decaying buildings have been turned into CHA (public housing) complexes.

A recent attempt to encourage a back-to-the-city movement failed and the tracks that were removed at Museum Park/Central Station have been put back in place.

I doubt that is any question why Chicago's population has fallen to 428,187 in the last census, with 413,308 of these folks on welfare.

Skyscraper Freak, I've often lamented that intelligent and highly insightful people like you haven't piped in enough to expose the nonsense that some of us Chicagoans spew about a clean, beautiful city. You are right on track and just what we need. Please keep sharing.

·
Banned
492 Posts
Skycraper Freak said:
Many people say Chicago is as it is cause of its cultural diversity. I believe that Culture is not a factor but economic status is. Please post your pictures of "Dirty Chicago" and your city's slums.
What in the hell does "cultural diversity" have to do with dirt!? Why don't you be a man and say what you really mean?

·
Look closer...
1,137 Posts
One of the things I really admire about Chicago is how it went from a rust belt collossus to a true world city. This didn't "just happen," it was a combination of strong leadership and a "never say die" attitude among the population. In the 1970s and 1980s when other Midwestern cities were simply giving up and allowing decay, Chicago got to work and positioned itself for the future. So it's this unique combination of rust belt grit and world city splendor. The gritty parts of Chicago are as grimey as they come, but the showcase parts of Chicago are a lot cleaner than comparable areas in other cities.

·
Cynical post-collegiate
937 Posts
Really? What people? Everybody I've ever talked to has commented that Chicago is a clean city. Even NPR made the assessment that Chicago is the cleanest city in America.

Many people say Chicago is as it is cause of its cultural diversity. I believe that Culture is not a factor but economic status is.
What. Let me re-read that.

Many people say Chicago is as it is cause of its cultural diversity. I believe that Culture is not a factor but economic status is.
What. Let me re-read that to make sure.

So... you've just pinned filth, blight, and uncleanliness down to cultural diversity. I don't think many people think this, and I'm glad that you don't follow with this oh-my-god-this-is-horribly-wrong statement.

Please post your pictures of "Dirty Chicago" and your city's slums.
What are you trying to accomplish?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sky(s)craperFreak:

Perhaps you need to restate your opening post - I, for one, do not quite understand what you are trying to say, other than that Chicago is a dirty city (or that you've heard others call Chicago dirty?)

I dunno - for a major metropolis, Chicago is quite clean; the only other major cities I can think of in North America that are as clean or cleaner are Toronto & Montreal (though Singapore trumps them all in cleanliness)

1 - 20 of 54 Posts