SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been raised all my life in the northside, and I don't have anmosity towards the south but I really don't care for it one bit. Please don't take offense, it is truly what I feel. The furtherst I go south is UIC, other than that I dont venture. I know the southside has wonderful neighborhoods, and is beautiful, but I just don't care for it. My bubble is the northside. Its weird its like it has been built in me. I will go to a party in Evanston, or even Milwaukee, but I won't go to a party on the southside. Anybody else feel like this. I sometimes feel like a snot.

·
Banned
2,098 Posts
^^^
Don't know what you mean exactly, but you do know that Chicago is made up equally from southside,northside and westside! :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Maybe only sportswise, and even then only in baseball. Most Chicagoans I know love the WHOLE city. That includes myself

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
I like the northside and it has a lot to offer, but so does the south side. Not sure what you mean, you refuse to go to the southside, or no opportunities have arise to go there? Frankly I tire of the northside scene with all of the yuppiness, so i try to venture to other neighborhoods on the NW and South sides.

·
2,000+
82 Posts
People who only operate out of one side of the city really shouldn't call themselves Chicagoans. Because they aren't.

Those people really have to branch out. This city has a lot to offer.

·
Registered
469 Posts
The whole north side vs. south side thing is pretty gay. More often than not, its played up by corporations like McDonalds for their fucking Sox vs. Cubs commercials.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
No way. I've lived up north all my life, but like others have said, Chicago without the south side just isn't Chicago. I love the place. Not to mention the often forgotten west side.

·
Banned
2,098 Posts
RP1 said:
No way. I've lived up north all my life, but like others have said, Chicago without the south side just isn't Chicago. I love the place. Not to mention the often forgotten west side.
If in the sport terms we have
Northside: cubs
Southside: white sox/fires
Westside: bulls/black hawks
Downtown: bears
Do I miss some other sport? :)

·
Banned
141 Posts
eon said:
People who only operate out of one side of the city really shouldn't call themselves Chicagoans. Because they aren't.

Those people really have to branch out. This city has a lot to offer.
Its not even like that. You wouldnt get it if you aint grow up in some of these places on the Westside and Southside. Its like a whole nother world out here. We just never messed with Westside cats. When you growing up, they tell you not to go out to the Westside, and apparently, Westsiders are told not to go out to the Southside. The only Westside people I really connected with were a couple people from the Grace Abbott projects, George (RIP) Wayne and his brother (RIP) and a few others and Emil and his family. Hell, its alotta people that live in Chicago that have never seen the full skyline before. It dont mean you not a true Chicagoan, you just a block loyalist.

·
Registered
478 Posts
C'mon Chicago is the most segregated city in America. I don't mean racially seperated, but geographically and even between neighborhoods. It's sad because it divides the city. I live on the Northside, and I'd say probably 80% of my friends have never ventured south of 35th unless they are on the Dan Ryan or the Skyway. It's pathetic. Same for the west side. Why is this?

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Quickdraw said:
Its not even like that. You wouldnt get it if you aint grow up in some of these places on the Westside and Southside. Its like a whole nother world out here. We just never messed with Westside cats. When you growing up, they tell you not to go out to the Westside, and apparently, Westsiders are told not to go out to the Southside. The only Westside people I really connected with were a couple people from the Grace Abbott projects, George (RIP) Wayne and his brother (RIP) and a few others and Emil and his family. Hell, its alotta people that live in Chicago that have never seen the full skyline before. It dont mean you not a true Chicagoan, you just a block loyalist.
ahuh :weird:

·
Registered
721 Posts
JB_Gold Coast said:
The whole north side vs. south side thing is pretty gay. More often than not, its played up by corporations like McDonalds for their fucking Sox vs. Cubs commercials.
Actually the north side is pretty gay. I have never seen gay characters playing northsiders or southsiders....it always seems to be really hetero hets doing it on the commericials! :jk:

·
Registered
721 Posts
DeMaFrost said:
C'mon Chicago is the most segregated city in America. I don't mean racially seperated, but geographically and even between neighborhoods. It's sad because it divides the city. I live on the Northside, and I'd say probably 80% of my friends have never ventured south of 35th unless they are on the Dan Ryan or the Skyway. It's pathetic. Same for the west side. Why is this?
I love the segregation! I love all the cultures that are allowed to prosper and are supported by our citizens and our government! I love the diversity that is Chicago! I am so happy we don't blend into some shitty white blob of normal!!!!

Now talking about bigotry and racism...that is a different discussion.

North and south doesn't matter to me....I just know I love Chicago. All of it.

·
Registered
562 Posts
"C'mon Chicago is the most segregated city in America. I don't mean racially seperated, but geographically and even between neighborhoods. It's sad because it divides the city. I live on the Northside, and I'd say probably 80% of my friends have never ventured south of 35th unless they are on the Dan Ryan or the Skyway. It's pathetic. Same for the west side. Why is this?"

Partly, it's a result of having a very large, spread out city. Partly, it's a result of having a very ethnically divided city.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
The north/south divide seems a bit softer than it was decades ago. It certainly still exists though.

Physically though, I think there are two big reasons the south side is detached from the other sides: It doesn't flow seemlessly into downtown like much of the west and north sides do, and secondly, it's over half the city's area and arguably has its very own downtown in Hyde Park.

Don't listen to me though, I could be wrong.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts