Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
I didn't watch this yet but with China's population of 1.4 billion people I think they could use all the skyscrapers they can afford to build.

·
Premium member
10,349 Posts
^
These videos were not about skyscrapers but about French Chateaus or medieval english villages which have no inhabitants because they are only used as an investment.

·
If I could be anyone...
2,551 Posts
^^ I didn't watch it, sorry :lol:

I retract my statement.

I've actually read about these, and seen the advertisements for them. I think they will be filled eventually, but is probably not something smart to do...

·
Proud Torontonian
1,421 Posts
I didn't watch this yet but with China's population of 1.4 billion people I think they could use all the skyscrapers they can afford to build.
I agree. They can't afford to build out (suburban developments) so I don't see anything wrong with this skyscraper boom in the homeland. Besides, residential towers are the most sustainable developments as far as residential things are concerned.

·
In the bog.
7,918 Posts
I had already seen these advertised, but this is the first time I've seen what these kind of developments look like on the inside, and I'm not overly surprised to see that they are a bit tacky.

If there's a demand for it though, they will be built, although I do see it as overly ostentatious and wasteful to think of a house as being 'second, third hand' etc.... Shouldn't China as the world's most rapidly developing country try and find new housing solutions for the modern world instead of just emulating what had already been done?

And the ramifications of China pumping out the same, and soon greater, C02 emissions than the US, I think goes beyond just damaging the Japanese fishing industry. I fear that the markets just favor the prevalent fad in housing, and won't help in decreasing energy use.

·
I love my life
Cuyi Lastrassi
15,034 Posts
Dubai probably doesn't need it's exagerated boom, but China does has millions of chinese move to it's cities every year.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
the skyscrapers are not excessive, but this type of ugly faux european architecture is definitely excessive.

·
WoyaoDaJb
941 Posts
Ah, the old argument of whether capitalism is wasteful or efficient, but in any case, all the countries have undergone urbanisation during industrial revolution, therefore, as a chinese offcial nicely putted it " to ask whether china should urbanise is like asking a man if he needs to eat." and hense if china should construct more.
Oh, and take a look at which country's people live in suburban house and which country's people live in dense apartment then we shall see JUST WHO is building excessively.

·
starwar
6,147 Posts
I think that Ther are superabundant.

China overtook U.S.A. with a CO2 discharge. But the problem is not only it. The GDP of the
Chinese ppp standard (I do not believe PPP.) is already
11 trillion dollar.
U.S.A. is 12 trillion dollar.

Oh, China overtakes U.S.A. in 3 years.

If a Chinese farmer emigrates to the city, I cannot keep the forest in good condition.
And desertification and the damage of the yellow sand turn worse more.

QUOTE]

how the hell you post this same content in a million thread?

·
In the bog.
7,918 Posts
I'm just saying that China has the opportunity find new housing solutions instead of making the same old mistakes as others countries have done.

So, like building some of the worlds first commercial maglev lines to find new transport solutions, China should invest in more sensible planning instead of erecting imitation English villages.

·
Banned
192 Posts
My post of this thread and "Ghost cities of the year 2100" are deleted.
I cannot understand why my 2 POST was deleted.
I put Chinese yellow sand and a Japanese image (by NASA) affected by a pollutant. Because the reason is because it is concerned with not only the China but also earth whole and survival of the human.
A topic of a high-rise building is important, and I like it, too.
Similarly an environmental problem is the times that are more serious matters.

I did not mean to slander China.

In addition, with " Ghost cities of the year 2100
", I explain Japanese compact city planning.

I try to ask a manager why I deleted it by an email.
And I try to ask it to restore my post.
I believe that I have him understand it.

·
421 Posts
I wonder if we will see a lot of 600m+ residential skyscrapers, as soon as they become common.

Burj Dubai, Al burj and Chicago Spire are just the prototypes.

Using the sky as residential space is the best way to go for china.

·
Banned
8,269 Posts
Some pople think that infrasturcture should only be built as needed, so that money is spent more productively.

I.E. transport projects that will take like 140 years to pay for themselves might not be neccecary.

·
My Heart is with Beijing.
1,737 Posts
If those investors are making money out of it eventually (which means some people like it and will use it), I don't see why not. It is too early to say ATM.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts