Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Rimini expat
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to spend a long weekend there with my girlfriend and I don't know a thing about the place.

Any insider tip from the locals?

·
Rimini expat
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:lol:

Where are you from Camaway? I'm at work, so can't write that much about CPH at the moment, but later today, I'll try to help you.:)
You can maybe open a thread in the Scandinavian and Baltic forum to get some more help from the locals:)
Cool, I'll do that.

BTW, Yes, I'm Italian and I live in Berlin.

·
Banned
234 Posts
I don't know it, i was invited once, but couldn't go there. What I know from here, is that they get really excited with temperatures around 30ºC and call it a heat wave, so it must be really cold there, and very often. So take lots of cloths with ya.
:lol: i think he can handle the weather with jeans and shirt. The weather is probably similiar to Berlin so hes used to it.

It's like Amsterdam, except without the fun stuff like drugs and hookers. :eek:hno:

:lol:
Why would he take his girlfriend to hookers? :nuts:

·
Rimini expat
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
:lol: i think he can handle the weather with jeans and shirt. The weather is probably similiar to Berlin so hes used to it.

Why would he take his girlfriend to hookers? :nuts:
I'm sure I'll be fine without a hooker.

Weather wise I'm quite confident I can survive Copenhagen in July;-)

Actually I'd much rather have 20 to 25 C than 40C. Having said that last year I was in Riga for my birthday and there was 35C.

·
Lord of Legoland
10,895 Posts
I'm planning to spend a long weekend there with my girlfriend and I don't know a thing about the place.
Well... it is the capital of Denmark... it has a metro population of 1.8mil and an urban population of ~1.2mil

It's home to the Royal family and the Parliament

It's largest municipal is "København's Kommune" with 503.000

It's officially founded by Bishop Absalon in 1167 AD - but a fishing village called "Havn" ( "Habour" ) was located here from back in the early viking age ( ~900 AD ) and people have been present from atleast 4000 BC

Any insider tip from the locals?
Yep, bring lots of cash - it's very expensive compared to almost everywhere!

Visit between May and September and bring an umbrella just in case..

Visit more than just the parts within the lakes - places like Frederiksberg, Klampenborg and Amager has a lot to offer too...

Don't be afraid to use public transportation, it's clean, safe and will get you anywhere and back at a reasonable price..

Do visit Tivoli and stay until it get's dark.. you don't need at pass for the rides unless you really like that, a simple entry ticket is enough and tickets for rides can be bought if you need it inside the park..

You can pay with creditcards everywhere, so no need for tons of cash...

If in need of cash simply using a random ATM can be cheaper than "exchange stores" like Forex or banks...

If using public transportation like busses make sure you get a "klippekort" if going more than just once or twice, much can be saved, ask at an information booth for your exact need and how much can be saved..

It's a VERY safe city, so don't be afraid to stay out long into the night... the Danes might get drunk and noisy late into the night, but that's nothing to be afraid of.. you can walk anywhere at every time in the inner city...

If in need of help call 112 - police or medical services are never far away - if posible position yourself at a street corner when calling so you can read or spell the name of the street..

Don't go to traditional "Danish food" restaurants - it's normally disgusting old farmer dishes... if interested in Danish food, try some fish dishes from more upscale looking restaurants - or even better: the Nyhavn area..

Danes will speak english well, but are a bit shy - so feel very free to ask away and as the person gets "brave" you'll get much more information and stories...

NEVER cross red lights - cars and bikes expects people to halt at red lights - they will NOT brake or slowdown.. and you will put yourself in great danger!

In general respect the rules and laws and do what the locals do when it comes to traffic..

If driving a car makes sure to look thourughly for bikes - they are EVERYWHERE and won't brake for you!

No need to visit Christiania - drugs ARE illegal no matter where you are and police are plentiful in that area!

For more just ask... but comming from Berlin it'll be very familiar :)

Here's a few pictures:

More pics: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=456862

1 - 17 of 17 Posts