SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
No state can be the best state. All have their strengths and weaknesses. One of my favorites is Maryland. As far as Florida, I only like the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area. The Orlando and Tampa areas aren't bad either. Northern Florida is too southern/backwater/dixieland for me.

·
Registered
403 Posts
What is the temperature like in the Miami area? I really want to go to Miami sometime but I don't do well in the heat...let alone heat AND humidity.

·
Registered
232 Posts
TheJim said:
Umm, No. Not even close as long as florida is in the bottom five in education let alone anything else.
True, Our schools need help as do schools around the country. Maybe if the congress was as enthusiastic about funding education as they are about funding the military we would have great schools.

·
Registered
105 Posts
BigDan35 said:
What is the temperature like in the Miami area? I really want to go to Miami sometime but I don't do well in the heat...let alone heat AND humidity.
I wouldn't recommend Florida at all for you then. Miami has the highest humidity of the major areas of FL on average. Miami lies in a tropical, almost subtropical climate. It is right on the boarder. While the rest of FL is in somewhat of a temperate climate, like the rest of the lower 48. The inland areas of the state are the worst for heat and humidity. I took a climate class in college, so I learned all about this stuff :p

·
Registered
232 Posts
BigDan35 said:
The weather here has been perfect all week.

SUNNY, LOW 80s, Very low humidity and ocean breezes.

It got fairly hot and humid today for the first time in a while.

Usually by mid-May it is HOT (85F+) and there is a mix of sun and thunderstorms everyday.

We have two seasons....DRY and WET or Warm and HOT, respectively.

May-October is WET & HOT (highs85F-90F, lows 75F-80F) and very humid. This time of year is the rainy season. We have scattered thunderstorms almost everyday. It never rains for too long (30mins-2hrs) before the sun comes back out an makes the city a sauna. Some people will tell you it rains at the same time everyday in their neighborhood and it can seem that way. Hurricane season also occurs between June and October sometimes until November.

November-April is the dry and warm season

HIs in the 70s and lows in the 60s with some colder days mixed in.
It is sunny virtually everyday all day this time of year and humidity is very low.
It's warm with cool breezes.
This time of year reminds you why it's great to live in South Florida.

I have only worn a coat ONCE since I moved to South Florida in 1997!

IF YOU DON'T LIKE HEAT AND HUMIDITY YOU WILL HATE MIAMI FROM MAY-OCTOBER!!!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lauderdalegator said:
True, Our schools need help as do schools around the country. Maybe if the congress was as enthusiastic about funding education as they are about funding the military we would have great schools.
what r u talking about? the schools may suck in southern florida but in the panhandle r the #1 schools in Florida. it's even top 10 or 20 in the country. northern florida schools have: good funding, smart + educated teachers, and smart students (cuz of the smart teachers).

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
California is the ultimate state. Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego. Great weather (not humid like FL), urbanism, strong economy, and natural scenary all in one state.

New York as a whole couldn't compare.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
New York compares -- unlike California, ther eisn't rampant smog and over-zealous liberals (and I am a liberal, mind you ).

New York has mass tranist in place -- LA has been strugglign the last two decades to get peoople to switch from cars to commuter efforts. Some of which are succesfful, all of which are costly.

California is grand -- and both states are better than Florida by a sight -- but to say California and New York can't even compare? Please....

·
Thats my wife Aaliyah.
238 Posts
ncvegas said:
what r u talking about? the schools may suck in southern florida but in the panhandle r the #1 schools in Florida. it's even top 10 or 20 in the country. northern florida schools have: good funding, smart + educated teachers, and smart students (cuz of the smart teachers).
NCvegas you do realize that our schools are not the best only in some categories. Navarre schools sucks,poor funding, horrible teachers at least most of them, and too much testing. I was watching a thing on CNN where they said the state of Florida is pushing kids to hard by overtesting them.

The best state is California, due to its diversity in climate. Florida is ok just the beaches, but the humidity is a bitch. 2 Words describe florida hot n humid, hundreds of words describe california.

·
Registered
232 Posts
ncvegas said:

First, I don't care if the schools in N. Florida are better than the schools in S. Florida. It isn't surprising though because very large school systems like those in S. Florida are usually not as good as schools in backwater towns, like those in N. Florida. Schools in large cities are usually overcrowded as is the case in Broward and Miami-Dade counties.

Florida as a state is ranked among the worst for their schools. The ranking is done by state not by school system. There are very good, nationally ranked individual schools in South Florida also.

What's your point?

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Florida is tops in athletics --- but they are the pits for Education. I'm in Pinellas where not only are the schools mediocre but they are an excuse to kill kids in traffic :p The bussing system sucks, school sizes and management sucks, even the school zones are done wrong. My sub-division has THREE schools within 8 miles but they send the kids to a school 10+ miles away because of overcrowding at the other three schools.

I graduated from a HS with a Senior class of 700+... I woudl imagine the "Great" schools of Norht Florida don't have to deal with a student body like that in most HS's -- let alone one single grade of High School.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts