SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_asiapacific/view/1086312/1/.html

China eyes 2nd Olympics as Asian Games set to begin

GUANGZHOU, China: A month before the opening of the Asian Games in southern China, the world's most populous nation has already set its sights on a bigger prize -- hosting its second Olympics.

Officials and residents in Guangzhou, a booming provincial capital whose industrial might has powered China to over 30 years of spectacular economic growth, say they are ready for a Guangzhou Olympics in the not-so-distant future.

"In my personal opinion, in 10 years time, Guangzhou may have the opportunity to bid for the Olympic Games," Gu Shiyang, vice secretary general of the Guangzhou Organising Committee for the Asian Games, told AFP.

"In 10 or 20 years time, it (will be) time for China to have the Olympic Games again," he said in an interview.

Beijing hosted China's first Olympics in 2008, wowing the world with sparkling new facilities, seamless organisation and Chinese athletes that topped the medal table over perennial powerhouses the United States and Russia.

In preparation for the November 12-27 Asian Games, the capital of Guangdong province has followed in Beijing's footsteps, building new roads, bridges, housing complexes, railway stations and subway lines.

The city has also worked to clean up its water and air and undertook massive urban renewal projects, all while building or refurbishing dozens of modern sports facilities.

"To host international events like the Olympic Games or the Asian Games, I think Guangzhou is next to Beijing in terms of venues, in terms of experience of organising such big events and also in terms of talent," Gu said.

"For the Olympic Games, you need to have sufficient venues and sports facilities. Guangzhou has these kinds of facilities... We don't need to build more venues for the Olympic Games."

Hosting a second Olympics within a relatively short time span would not be unprecedented.

After staging the Winter Games in Lake Placid in 1980, the United States hosted the Summer Games in Los Angeles in 1984, and again in Atlanta in 1996. The Winter Games came back to the US in Salt Lake City in 2002.

In Asia, Japan put on the Winter Olympics in Sapporo in 1972 and in Nagano in 1998.

Gu emphasised that a bid had not been formulated and the central government had not given the city a green light to prepare such a plan.

He further added that the upcoming Asiad -- the second-largest sporting event after the Olympics, featuring 12,000 athletes from 45 countries and regions -- needed to be a success before any formal bid plan would go ahead.

Wu Yucheng, an official at Guangdong's government-run provincial sports bureau, also hinted at the city's Olympic interest.

"I very much support our nation hosting more big international Games, Games with big impacts," Wu told AFP.

"I believe that by hosting a successful Asian Games, this will give us an opportunity and the experience to host a future Olympic Games."

Residents of this sprawling city of over 10 million people, located about 140 kilometres (85 miles) northwest of Hong Kong, are excitedly awaiting the opening of the Asian Games, and keen to live in a potential Olympic city.

"I haven't heard anything about a bid for the Olympic Games, but definitely I would support this," said Chen Song, 45, as he awaited his turn in a game of badminton in a Guangzhou park.

"If we could succeed in such a bid, this would be the pride of Guangzhou."

-AFP/jl
So what do people think? IMO, Guangzhou would be a poor choice because I think the world is bored of skyscraper filled, modern East Asian metropolises. It's quickly starting to become mundane and not enough of a showcase. In fact, what makes Guangzhou special? Nothing unique about it...

I feel like the best choice for the next Chinese olympic games would be Xi'an by far. Since we're talking past 2020, Xi'an would have by then a sizable metro system, enough capital to construct the necessary facilities, etc. Let's assume logistics won't be an issue because we're not dealing with today's Xi'an but future Xi'an. This is the way I see it: Beijing showcased the power and emergence of modern China and its culture. Xi'an can complement this by showcasing the longevity and grandeur of the Chinese civilization. It can reconcile modern and dynastic China to give the world a more comprehensive picture of China. There's definitely something romantically alluring about the ancient capital of the Tang and Han Dynasties hosting the or 203X Olymipcs.

Guangzhou... glass and concrete skyscrapers, shopping malls, etc. punctuated by bits of colonial buildings... ironic thing is, the aspects of Guangzhou that can be showcased are outclassed by Shanghai in every respect whether it's size, modernity, internationalness/diversity (except that Guangzhou has more Africans than Shanghai), colonial architecture, etc.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I think it's better for China to hold the World Cup, with matches in Hong Kong and Taipei. FIFA can pick and choose the existing stadiums to be used, and infrastructure is already more than top notch.

But that will require China having a halfway decent national team, which sadly is not the case (this is a metaphor for the present situation where China has world class hard infrastructure but third world soft infrastructure).

·
Improving Earth
111 Posts
... ...
But that will require China having a halfway decent national team, which sadly is not the case (this is a metaphor for the present situation where China has world class hard infrastructure but third world soft infrastructure).
With the present performance of local provincial and city government in Guangzhou, Guangzhou must not host any Olympic. Guangzhou city planning skills are truly inferior and haphazard.

The above is so true about China Men Football ( Soccer ) , Men Basketball team. They are so inferior, incompetent, and embarrassing. Including Yao Ming and Yi Jian Lian ( I am sorry to break your heart )

:bash:
I wonder when will the China Men Basketball players learn to dunk 85% of the time, instead of shooting jump shot. Shooting jump shot means you are soft. Yao Ming and Yi Jian Lian are soft.

OTOH, all China Women Teams in general are outstanding.

:applause:
Lastly, I must add China Weight- Lifting teams ( both Men and Women ) are out of this world. They are absolutely Herculean and Marvelous.

·
Panamaniac!
2,353 Posts
I think it's better for China to hold the World Cup, with matches in Hong Kong and Taipei. FIFA can pick and choose the existing stadiums to be used, and infrastructure is already more than top notch.

China host the World Cup? I don't think the international community will be happy with it, there's a reason why people don't want the world cup in the United States and that's because there's no passion for football, the passion you see in South American, Europe and some African countries is just not there in the US or China.
But who knows, maybe in 2030 :cheers:

·
Not Cwite There
9,181 Posts
China host the World Cup? I don't think the international community will be happy with it, there's a reason why people don't want the world cup in the United States and that's because there's no passion for football, the passion you see in South American, Europe and some African countries is just not there in the US or China.
There is passion for football in China though, a hell of a lot of it, but that doesn't mask the unescapable fact that Chinese football teams are hopelessly diabolical.

·
Registered
771 Posts
The people in China are very passionate about football. Please check your information again.

·
Registered
771 Posts

So what do people think? IMO, Guangzhou would be a poor choice because I think the world is bored of skyscraper filled, modern East Asian metropolises. It's quickly starting to become mundane and not enough of a showcase. In fact, what makes Guangzhou special? Nothing unique about it...

I feel like the best choice for the next Chinese olympic games would be Xi'an by far. Since we're talking past 2020, Xi'an would have by then a sizable metro system, enough capital to construct the necessary facilities, etc. Let's assume logistics won't be an issue because we're not dealing with today's Xi'an but future Xi'an. This is the way I see it: Beijing showcased the power and emergence of modern China and its culture. Xi'an can complement this by showcasing the longevity and grandeur of the Chinese civilization. It can reconcile modern and dynastic China to give the world a more comprehensive picture of China. There's definitely something romantically alluring about the ancient capital of the Tang and Han Dynasties hosting the or 203X Olymipcs.

Guangzhou... glass and concrete skyscrapers, shopping malls, etc. punctuated by bits of colonial buildings... ironic thing is, the aspects of Guangzhou that can be showcased are outclassed by Shanghai in every respect whether it's size, modernity, internationalness/diversity (except that Guangzhou has more Africans than Shanghai), colonial architecture, etc.
Guangzhou is a very good choice, together with Shenzhen and Hong Kong, they are the richest metro area in China. After showcasing tradtional China in Beijing, the Guangzhou/Shenzhen/Hong Kong Olympics will be a good choice for displaying modern China.
Shenzhen is even more developed than Shanghai, and Hong Kong is more international than Shanghai.

·
Banned
6,015 Posts
Shenzhen is even more developed than Shanghai, and Hong Kong is more international than Shanghai.
Yay Shanghai suck!

Shenzhen is more developed than Shanghai, Hong Kong is more international than Shanghai, Beijing is more historical than Shanghai, Guangzhou is cleaner than Shanghai, Dalian is more beautiful than Shanghai..! I get what you mean! Shanghai will be the last place for China to host any international event.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Guangzhou is a very good choice, together with Shenzhen and Hong Kong, they are the richest metro area in China. After showcasing tradtional China in Beijing, the Guangzhou/Shenzhen/Hong Kong Olympics will be a good choice for displaying modern China.
Beijing was showcasing modern china. Beijing has only been the capital of china for only 800 years. Thats a rather new city in the grand scheme of Chinese history and Beijing is certainly more of a modern city than traditional. Same can be said for Guangzhou.

You failed to explain why Guangzhou is a better choice than Xi'an.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts

This can apply to most cities that have hosted or applied. If the IOC was trying to find exotic places to hold the games, probably it would have to skip most industrial cities.

I feel like the best choice for the next Chinese olympic games would be Xi'an by far...There's definitely something romantically alluring about the ancient capital of the Tang and Han Dynasties hosting the or 203X Olymipcs.
I'd love to see a big event like SOG in western or central China, especially Xi'an. The thing is Xi'an needs to gain some experience before that, and seriously improves (with the help from the state) its infrastructures. Also the city needs to work hard to get it, you can't say 'ok ,we are going to have an OG there, now let's use some money from the central government to build things'.

Guangzhou has worked very hard, and has done things step by step with excellent planning and execution. So it is not really a matter of choice, but a matter of will. No other Chinese cities even dare show any ambition for the SOG, while Guangzhou is already working on getting support for its future possible bid.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I think it's better for China to hold the World Cup, with matches in Hong Kong and Taipei.
I don't think that is going to happen. HK definitely, Taipei no way, local government in Taiwan won't agree to this proposal
The authorities have been arresting officials, referees and players for more than a year, and still it is only the tip of the iceberg. Without the scumbags being punished, no way the national team could perform better. cheating and gambling have already ruined too many generations of players.

The future core Mr. Xi is said to be a football fan, maybe he should order to arrest half of the national team, put them into coal mines, or spank the players like Uday Hussein did. sigh, only sarcasm. I lost my faith in those players.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
With the present performance of local provincial and city government in Guangzhou, Guangzhou must not host any Olympic. Guangzhou city planning skills are truly inferior and haphazard.
I suppose the grass is always greener on the other side. I think they are doing quite a good job.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I don't think you'll see the Olympics in China again for a couple decades at least. But I'd rather see it in Chongqing. The terrain would make some of the long distance events spectacular.

·
Banned
6,015 Posts
I, for one, actually think Fifa has more impact than Olympics on the world stage. So i would be more than happy for China to host Fifa in future, and this way for the second time in history China team will be able to qualify in Fifa finals lol.

·
Banned
6,015 Posts
I don't think that is going to happen. HK definitely, Taipei no way, local government in Taiwan won't agree to this proposal
Yea i actually dont really understand TW people, they would be much better off for Taiwan to be a special administrative region of China.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I, for one, actually think Fifa has more impact than Olympics on the world stage. So i would be more than happy for China to host Fifa in future, and this way for the second time in history China team will be able to qualify in Fifa finals lol.
China's team must be good enough to reliably enter the knockout round before the country and have a good chance at entering the Quarter Final can even consider hosting the World Cup. Otherwise, it will be very embarrassing for the country as a whole. This year's World Cup was notable for being the first time the host country failed to enter the knockout stage, but it wasn't for lack of trying. It will take decades to clean up the truly awful state of Chinese football.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
^^ Not in itself, but I don't think China will dare to bid if the home team is sure to lose all three games and score no goals in the group stage. Even countries where "face" doesn't matter as much will make sure their team is halfway decent before hosting the event.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts