SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all my fellow Dutch friends, Im just curious about the Netherlands and I have a question about it. I was just talking with my friend who visited the Netherlands recently. When I asked her 'whats the connection between Holland and the Netherlands', she said that Holland is like a province of the Netherlands. Is she right? or is she just misinformed?

·
Stadtaffe
2,731 Posts
The official name of our country is The Netherlands (Nederland in dutch), although our country is often called 'Holland', even by official institutions outside the Netherlands.

The Netherlands consists of 12 provinces, two of them called 'North-Holland' and 'South-Holland'. Technically 'Holland' is two provinces of the Netherlands.

Some dutch people outside 'Holland' feel offended when their country is called Holland :)

By the way, even dutch people themselves sometimes call their country 'Holland', mainly when supporting their national soccer team, like in "Hup Holland Hup!" :)

·
Stadtaffe
2,731 Posts
Question: can you estimate how many of the 33 million people that officially live in Tokyo see themselves as 'Tokyo-people'?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^^ sorry im not Japanese.. im just here visiting :D

and thanks for the info! Really appareciated it :eek:kay:

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
It was a county which merged with 6 other regions after these freed themselves from Spanish rule in 1648.

It's a persistant and stupid mistake usually made in England. It's now two provinces which dominate the nation in some sense. The two have 6 out of 16 million inhabitants but it actually was the last region to civilize. Fryslan came first, Gueldres, Brabant and Utrecht followed in the Middle Ages. During the Middle Ages Holland hardly existed. It was marshes and inland saltwater lakes predominantly.

·
Premium Member
13,020 Posts
Well, that's the way the story always goes. Just take a look at the US - hardly civilized, but dominating the rest of the world...;)

·
Alias Thec
1,365 Posts
Bikkel said:
It was a county which merged with 6 other regions after these freed themselves from Spanish rule in 1648.

It's a persistant and stupid mistake usually made in England. It's now two provinces which dominate the nation in some sense. The two have 6 out of 16 million inhabitants but it actually was the last region to civilize. Fryslan came first, Gueldres, Brabant and Utrecht followed in the Middle Ages. During the Middle Ages Holland hardly existed. It was marshes and inland saltwater lakes predominantly.
And what about Limburg?? When is this pseudoprovince given back to Belgium, where it belongs?? :D

·
Custom User Title.
297 Posts
There are 12 Provences:
Province - Capital City:
Friesland - Leeuwarden
Groningen - Groningen
Drenthe - Assen
Overijssel - Zwolle
Noord-Holland - Haarlem
Zuid-Holland - Den Haag
Gelderland - Arnhem
Flevoland - Lelystad
Noord-Brabant - Den Bosch
Zeeland - Middelburg
Limburg - Maastricht
Utrecht - Utrecht

Amsterdam is located in Noord-Holland, Rotterdam is located in Zuid-Holland. Friesland is a provence with a status aparte in a sense. They have their own official language and their own passport.

So in a way your friend is right. Our official name is The Royal Kingdom of the Netherlands, we are called Dutch people and we also call our country Holland.
It's all a bit confusing isn't it?

·
|/|/|\/|
7,721 Posts
^ The capital city of the province Noord-Brabant is 's-Hertogenbosch, of course :eek:hno: Although it's more difficult to pronounce for foreigners ;)

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Carter said:
Friesland is a provence with a status aparte in a sense. They have their own official language and their own passport.
:? I've never heard of that. I'm from Fryslân and my passport says my nationality is the Netherlands.

·
Custom User Title.
297 Posts
@ramses, is your passport in Frysian or in Dutch? Because I recall that years ago there were frysian passports. But I am probably wrong.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
^Lichtstad showed the answer, it is just a fun-passport. I remember that one.

My passport is written in the same language as yours Carter ;)

·
oemoemenemoe
1,496 Posts
Lichtstad said:
^ The capital city of the province Noord-Brabant is 's-Hertogenbosch, of course :eek:hno: Although it's more difficult to pronounce for foreigners ;)
If you're following that route, the capital of Zuid Holland is also 's Gravenhage...

·
Registered Abuser
6,158 Posts
th0m said:
If you're following that route, the capital of Zuid Holland is also 's Gravenhage...
Not it's not. The official name of the municipality of The Hague is Den Haag whereas the official name of the municipality of Den Bosch is 's-Hertogenbosch.

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
Yep, Limburg was part of the 'Deutsche Bund' (German Federation) until it finally decided to become part of the Netherlands, effectively only in 1841. Luxemburg had a similar exceptional status, German but recognising the NL King.

Limburg is a town just north of Frankfurt (worth visiting! The ICE halts in the town on the river Lahn); a province of NL and a province of Belgium.

Similarly confusing, the city where the Gueldres (German: Geldern; Dutch; Gelre) province originated is found in Germany.

·
Premium Member
13,020 Posts
...which tells us something about the mixed nature of our present nation - there was a time when Limburg and Gelderland used to be apart duchies (as far as I can tell they were governed by a duke). Then the Dutch, the Germans and the Belgians came along...and Limburgians still don't see themselves as Dutch - at least the ones in The Netherlands, that is ;)

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
Gueldres and Brabant were rivals with Utrecht, the little bishop bastard, inbetween. Limburg has always been a collection of scattered areas. Roermond was Gueldres, Thorn sort of independent. Nijmegen, and Ravenstein were 'German' enclaves within Gueldres. Nijmegen is a Kaiserstadt, e.g. an imperial city.

·
Registered
737 Posts
People's identity changes when confronted with another. Someone from Limburg will not feel Dutch when confronted with an Amsterdammer, but will feel Dutch being confronted with an Italian.

And by the way, everyone who is still making jokes about how Limburg should be seperated from the Netherlands: get a life, that joke is 150 years old and reallllllly not funny anymore (i am not from Limburg, f.y.i.).

1 - 20 of 58 Posts