Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every city has things that are unique to that place. It's what makes people want to travel and experience them. However, is there ever a case where it is acceptable to copy, and try to emulate the success of another city, if it would benefit your own city?

As a hypothetical for instance, consider the possibility of a Liverpool Marathon. Most of the world's great cities have an annual marathon. Even provincial cities have annual running events - see the Great North Run and the Great Manchester Run for two examples. As such, Liverpool could be argued to be missing a trick. These events obviously have inherent costs associating with staging them. But in return, the media exposure and the boost to the local ecomony from those visiting the city to either compete or cheer on someone else clearly makes them worth doing or these events would not be so popular.

Liverpool obviously has the women's 10K race each year, however this never seems to garner more than a passing interest outside the city. As such, it could be argued there is mileage (pun intended) in the idea of starting a marathon event is Liverpool, taking in the sights of the city. However this would require copying other cities pre-existing events.

As such, the question is, whilst it's very important to have events unique to the city. Are there sometimes gains to be made in mimicking another city, in that it pays in terms of a boost to the local ecomony, media exposure and other positives? It doesn't have to be a marathon. Whatever the event in question, is it sometimes acceptable to follow rather than lead if the city can benefit from it?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Every city has things that are unique to that place. It's what makes people want to travel and experience them. However, is there ever a case where it is acceptable to copy, and try to emulate the success of another city, if it would benefit your own city?

As a hypothetical for instance, consider the possibility of a Liverpool Marathon. Most of the world's great cities have an annual marathon. Even provincial cities have annual running events - see the Great North Run and the Great Manchester Run for two examples. As such, Liverpool could be argued to be missing a trick. These events obviously have inherent costs associating with staging them. But in return, the media exposure and the boost to the local ecomony from those visiting the city to either compete or cheer on someone else clearly makes them worth doing or these events would not be so popular.

Liverpool obviously has the women's 10K race each year, however this never seems to garner more than a passing interest outside the city. As such, it could be argued there is mileage (pun intended) in the idea of starting a marathon event is Liverpool, taking in the sights of the city. However this would require copying other cities pre-existing events.

As such, the question is, whilst it's very important to have events unique to the city. Are there sometimes gains to be made in mimicking another city, in that it pays in terms of a boost to the local ecomony, media exposure and other positives? It doesn't have to be a marathon. Whatever the event in question, is it sometimes acceptable to follow rather than lead if the city can benefit from it?
We've got water. What about an ironman?

·
Registered
13,981 Posts
Liverpool already has a half marathon of relatively high profile. 7,500 attended this year. It is quite famous on the "tour" but it just doesnt get marketed enough.

·
Registered
16,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Forget the marathon idea, that was just a for instance. I was wondering what people's opinion was on replicating successful events in other cities, if they deliver the goods for Liverpool, but at the expense of not being unique.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
There are certain things we shouldn't imitate (ape), and one example being the 'LA Walk of Fame'. Liverpool did, during the Flower Festival, build a similar 'Walk' with the names of prominent Scousers embedded in the Otterspool Promenade and I personally found it very tacky. Even the LA walk of Fame is tacky, IMHO, but it does have the advantage of being the first one anywhere.

I think Liverpool would be better building a 'Sidewalk of Diplomacy' featuring the national crest's of all the nations who once had a representative consulate/legation in Liverpool. The ideal place for this walk, IMO, would be alongside the canal link at Pier Head. It would attract visitors to that part of the city just to see their nations crest, visitors who would not normally linger at Pier Head, . It would be a feature unique to Liverpool. Or maybe the crest of ports/city's that once traded, directly, with Liverpool and helped make it the place it is today.

In the mean time, another thing Liverpool could/should do is fly the flags of the world nations along the landing stage when a cruise ship is alongside. Lots of other cruise ports offer this welcome to cruise ship pax and crew. It is a sign of courtesy that doesn't go unoticed and offers a very welcoming sight to foreign tourists and shows goodwill on the part of Liverpudlians to the visitors.

·
Mancunian Member
7,184 Posts
You should have the Red Bull Air Race - Looks a top spectacle, imagine it over the Mersey.

·
800th birthday in 2007
4,192 Posts

I don't really know about other cities and marathons, but maybe making the existing women's 10K race into a marathon, and making it the biggest, linking in with the usual charities/sponsors, and as a bonus think of the boost to the shopping afterwards...:)

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Sloyne's ideas are very good and wouldn't cost the earth to implement. I know the marathon topic (2 choc bars there) was just a for instance but don't forget we had a Liverpool marathon for many years that started at St. Georges plateau and finished at Anfield stadium and even as recent as the 1980s, the Liverpool marathon was run from and to Camp Hill, Woolton via Seaforth as the turning point - I should know, my hips have never let me forget them.

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
Sloyne's ideas are very good and wouldn't cost the earth to implement. I know the marathon topic (2 choc bars there) was just a for instance but don't forget we had a Liverpool marathon for many years that started at St. Georges plateau and finished at Anfield stadium and even as recent as the 1980s, the Liverpool marathon was run from and to Camp Hill, Woolton via Seaforth as the turning point - I should know, my hips have never let me forget them.
I hope you're in shape for that Mersey tunnel effort..I'll be watchin' yer mate..best of luck Ged :eek:kay:

(See the webbys coming along great guns..good on yer mate.:) )

·
Fiat Lux
7,596 Posts
Marathons, running, jogging etc bore the shit out of me but I recognise that others seem to enjoy them. If they need to exist in the metropolitan area then they should start somewhere on the Dee, take in the promenade from New Brighton, go through a Mersey tunnel, take in the more scenic bits of town, go along Princes Avenure, Princes Park and end somewhere in Sefton Park. That would get my support.

I prefer the idea of water based activities - playing to our strength, and I really liked the idea about having a pre-TT race here. The British motor racing Grand Prix should also be held in downtown Liverpool.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Thanks Ged, hope to see you snapping around on the day. I might just take my pocket effort and take one in the dip in the middle of the tunnel before my ascension.

·
Liverpool
927 Posts
You should have the Red Bull Air Race - Looks a top spectacle, imagine it over the Mersey.
I'm sure that's been mentioned before, i think the proximity of JLA airport is a problem. :)

Well done last night btw.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah I like that sloyne those two ideas would be really good and so simple to set up.

Its funny I was just thinking the other day that we could do with a high profile run through the city the when the Manchester one was on. I had it on in the background and couldn’t help but notice what a huge advert it was for Manchester the commentators were just talking about the city for half the race and pointing out all the areas of interest. I didn’t even know we used to have a marathon does anyone know why it ended?

One idea which I’ve often thought might be good to take on would be a big parade through the city centre like the Macy’s parade but not for thanksgiving obviously. Maybe put a British spin on it so it gets coverage around the country. The problem would be getting it high profile enough to get national media coverage and it would need some good money behind it otherwise it just ends up looking cheap and embarrassing. Floats could be sponsored by companies to raise money as long as the advertising wasn’t too distracting but it would still need something special to make it stand out.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts