SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is Jacksonville Florida the new hot spot? I know many people that has moved there from California and New York. I'm cool with everybody but I would like to live in a city where it's a black influence you know more of a balance of cultures. I live in Los Angeles and as an african american I don't see us in big numbers no more I heard blacks only make 7% of the population in LA now. I visit Jacksonville this past summer and fell in love with it. The people were real friendly a lot more nicer than people in LA not to mention I seen aa lot of brothas and sistas owning their own business.
Blacks have been moving to the south in recent years in a reverse migration sure it's crime but lets face it because it's crime everywhere but I see myself able to get ahead in Jacksonville or Atlanta more so than LA now so I'm thinking of making the move. I can say what shocked me on my visit to Jacksonville was the fact the white people was real cool to me they made a brotha feel welcome which shocked me because of the history there I read about the axhandle sunday attacks on blacks in the 60's but it looks like those days are of the past. Could this be why many people are moving to Jacksonville? then again it could be the lower cost of living, not to mention clean air, great tax situation plus the new jobs that are becoming available to individuals I know one thing I love this city I love it more than my present city of LA because sadly here in LA my nationality which is african american we don't help each other when one of us make it we tend to step on each other I see why were at the bottom of the water here.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
soulbro said:
Is Jacksonville Florida the new hot spot? I know many people that has moved there from California and New York. I'm cool with everybody but I would like to live in a city where it's a black influence you know more of a balance of cultures. I live in Los Angeles and as an african american I don't see us in big numbers no more I heard blacks only make 7% of the population in LA now. I visit Jacksonville this past summer and fell in love with it. The people were real friendly a lot more nicer than people in LA not to mention I seen aa lot of brothas and sistas owning their own business.
Blacks have been moving to the south in recent years in a reverse migration sure it's crime but lets face it because it's crime everywhere but I see myself able to get ahead in Jacksonville or Atlanta more so than LA now so I'm thinking of making the move. I can say what shocked me on my visit to Jacksonville was the fact the white people was real cool to me they made a brotha feel welcome which shocked me because of the history there I read about the axhandle sunday attacks on blacks in the 60's but it looks like those days are of the past. Could this be why many people are moving to Jacksonville? then again it could be the lower cost of living, not to mention clean air, great tax situation plus the new jobs that are becoming available to individuals I know one thing I love this city I love it more than my present city of LA because sadly here in LA my nationality which is african american we don't help each other when one of us make it we tend to step on each other I see why were at the bottom of the water here.
Its not only Jacksonville i think its most of the southern metros i mean there is no racial tension here where i live either people dont really care what color you are.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I've met alot of people from New York City in particular. I only noticed the slight increase in NY-ers about 3 to 4 years ago. Even in School, alot of the students come from other states. Besides the Evacuees, there has already been an abundance of students from Louisiana.

Usually "Southern Hospitality" doesn't discriminate. ;)

·
Martial Artist
364 Posts
the south

man, the whole south is blowing up in the hip-hop scene. every major city in the shouth has rappers reppin' their city to the fullest extent.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Are you looking for a neighborhood where there is a balance of races, or are you looking for a straight-up black neighborhood?

I (a white man) have found that moving south has given me a more racially balanced environment to live in, which I prefer. I came from a major northern city where whole sections of town were either white, black, or hispanic. I hate that. It shouldn't have to be that way. And in your case I hope you're not looking to move simply from one black neighborhood in one city to another black neighborhood in another. That's not what diversity should be.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Like I said I'm cool with everybody but I want to see some progression within my people you know I want to go to a city where I at least have a chance to compete than be treated like a second class citizen like here in LA. But I did notice in Jacksonville the people were cool like I said I never got love like that from people outside of my race it's a new south and I like that not to mention I never had that many white women flirt with me like that before either.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Well I can't speak for Jacksonville specifically but I can only hope that there are many cities in America where you could find what you're looking for.

But on the flip side, you as a black person have to be willing to accept non-blacks into your life, as friends and neighbors. I have found that many times black people are standoffish when faced with such diversity because they're not used to it. Are you really ready for the balance you're seeking?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm cool with everybody why you think I love that city it's not like LA in Jacksonville you see blacks and whites kicking it all the time and you see blacks and latins kicking it I seen that in Jacksonville in LA it's not like that for the most part. The sad thing LA didnt use to be like that now it is though.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Jacksonville and i guess most major cities in the south could be seen as a great place for blacks. But trust me, i know from experience, there is no other city in the south when it comes to blacks than Atlanta. And not to sound like im boosting or anything, but i(as a black person) understand exactly what you mean, when you say youre looking for a diverse city where black people are prosporus. Thats what i find intersting about atlanta, its like cosmopolitan, within the black community alone. You got native black southerners, black transplants from Northern cities, outwest, midwest, Native born- Ethiopians, Egyptians, Nigerians, Ghanians, South Africans, Hell JAmicans, all over the west Indies, South America, and this is no exaggeration. I know you probably could find that in any city like New York, but its unique in ATl because its southern, and urban. Ive been other places in the south and most of those blacks talked about wanting to come here. If you think Jacksonville i unique in this you should come to Atlanta, and go to Downtown 5 points, west end, Edgewood, Cascade, Decatur-South DeKalb, Greenbriar, and youll see a real black mecca.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I just read an article this morning in Creative Loafing that said Charlotte was the 3rd hottest relocation city for blacks (behind Atlanta and Dallas) and what's interesting is that the trends show that the majority of black movement is into the suburbs, where diversity is increasing tremendously. I should post the full article. It was very interesting. It seems that modern suburbs, for all the abuse they take on these forums, are actually leading the way in terms of racial integration.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I didnt think LA was that bad either and I grew up there. It is definately segregated in its own right, but it is also integrated at the same time, if that makes any sense. I have been all over that city, save for a few obvious areas, and I have never met the racists that I have met in the midwest/south.

·
Banned
1,098 Posts
SChristopher said:
I didnt think LA was that bad either and I grew up there. It is definately segregated in its own right, but it is also integrated at the same time, if that makes any sense. I have been all over that city, save for a few obvious areas, and I have never met the racists that I have met in the midwest/south.
:tiasd:

·
Registered
435 Posts
I dont think the problem is neccesarily big racist, because most places you go, you want see racist like jim crow or nothing like that. But most black people i think just would want to feel comfortable in an area where there's a large populatio of black people that are successful. And most cities only have small segments of that while on the other hand Atlanta is majority like that.

Are you looking for a neighborhood where there is a balance of races, or are you looking for a straight-up black neighborhood?
I (a white man) have found that moving south has given me a more racially balanced environment to live in, which I prefer. I came from a major northern city where whole sections of town were either white, black, or hispanic. I hate that. It shouldn't have to be that way. And in your case I hope you're not looking to move simply from one black neighborhood in one city to another black neighborhood in another. That's not what diversity should be.
I dont see a problem in moving from one black area to another, if what you are looking to change is the opportunities available for you and the black people around you. What's wrong with moving from one area( because your people are not as successful as the could or should be) to one that is prospourus and full of opportunity for you as a black man? I dont think diversity is about living in a neighborhood with people of different races, its just about being able to interact with people on a positive level. Because Cities like Chicago are diverse, but i wouldnt neccisarily say they are integrated. Same goes for New york, these difeerent ethnicities they come in such contact with each other mostly because of how cosmopolitan the cities are. ANd some might argue that atlanta may have not gotten so overwhelmingly black if not for the flight of whites, jews and others. So really who is for diversity?

·
1981 Civic
2,911 Posts
Suburban. Now that's a word I thought I would never hear when talking about "urbanity". Of course it did help to propel the white flight. Speaking of which was there a lot of it in the ATL?

·
Texas-NoVA
2,265 Posts
Amd1588 said:
Jacksonville and i guess most major cities in the south could be seen as a great place for blacks. But trust me, i know from experience, there is no other city in the south when it comes to blacks than Atlanta. And not to sound like im boosting or anything, but i(as a black person) understand exactly what you mean, when you say youre looking for a diverse city where black people are prosporus. Thats what i find intersting about atlanta, its like cosmopolitan, within the black community alone. You got native black southerners, black transplants from Northern cities, outwest, midwest, Native born- Ethiopians, Egyptians, Nigerians, Ghanians, South Africans, Hell JAmicans, all over the west Indies, South America, and this is no exaggeration. I know you probably could find that in any city like New York, but its unique in ATl because its southern, and urban. Ive been other places in the south and most of those blacks talked about wanting to come here. If you think Jacksonville i unique in this you should come to Atlanta, and go to Downtown 5 points, west end, Edgewood, Cascade, Decatur-South DeKalb, Greenbriar, and youll see a real black mecca.
Houston probably can. Houston may not have the numbers yet. But they do have those groups that you just said especially Nigerians. Houston has the largest Nigerian population in the south and maybe the nation. There are thousands of Jamaicans, Haitians, Bohemians, and many different countries of Africa living in Houston. It may not have the numbers but that'll change.

·
Registered
435 Posts
well understand that, but im not too familiar with Houston so i was speaking for ATlanta. But my friend is from Nigeria and she say's houstons Nigerian community is larger than ATlanta but atlanta's overall black community, i think is more cosmopolitan.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
All I can say is the south is now the hot spot especially for blacks all over the world. I went through Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, JAcksonville this past summer and I love all those cities I see hope there for me. LA has really changed and it's really no progression here for brothas and sistas don't believe me go to downtown LA and see how many brothas and sistas thats homless there and on crack. And Jobs for a brotha here is hard to come by. I have homies I went to school with who have college degrees and they couldn't get jobs here so they are all down south now. Many of my family members are in the south now also having left LA, my late grandfather who was from earle arkansas told me moving south would be better for me I agree I always loved the south better than LA I just love the southern hospitality something LA will never have.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts