Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
I'm a bit puzzled by this obsession with comparing Leeds with other cities. It's not really as if you're comparing like with like; Manchester and Birmingham, for example, are quite a bit larger than Leeds. And there are some pretty outrageous statements in the opening post - where's the evidence for the assertion that families are moving from Manchester to Leeds because it's perceived to be safer?

Wouldn't it be more to the point to focus on the things we like and are proud of, and the things we'd like to show to visitors? Just to show we don't view life through rose-tinted glasses we could also expatiate on the things we think the city lacks.

I just have this worrying feeling that the discussion will be dominated by testosterone-fuelled willy waving. Let's hope I'm proved wrong.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Leeds doesn't need to catch up to Manchester.

Leeds is vastly different from Manchester and both cities that offer different things.

Focus on what is good about Leeds and what isn't and hope that those who make the decsions can improve both.

What goes on down the M62 really makes very little difference to the average day to day live of the population of Leeds so stop obsessing with it.

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
I have to agree with the above couple of posts. It's a debate that keeps coming up and to be honest never gets anywhere. I think the last time I remember was in the Leeds Arena topic thread, when we had a couple of pages devoted to why can't it be bigger and better than the one in Manchester. I offered the same point as Wirlie G don't bother about what's happening elsewhere, and be more positive about what we have in Leeds already.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Leeds can never 'catch up' with Manchester in the way implied above. Manchester's history and development set it apart in such a way that Leeds is incomparable to it; its role as the centre of the industrial revolution and the de facto second city of england gives it a legacy that cannot simply be obtained through building shopping centres and an arena.

I really like Leeds for what it is, not because its an imitation of Manchester. And as Wirlie G points out, who cares?

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
The tag 'second city' is my personal opinion, rather than anything anyone else says. I see the social, political and cultural history and current standing of Manchester being of infinitely more significance than Birmingham or any other city.
Keep it to yourself then. Thank you.

If Leeds had the same government investment as manchester there'd be no need for this thread because Leeds wouldn't be playing catch up. We'd just be sitting here acting all smug, patronising and laughing at the congested roads in manchester...and maybe other forgotten cities up here int' North.

What I dislike the most and find irritating is some of those from t'other side of Pennines think it is jealousy, far from it, it is the injustice when it comes to getting a fair slice of the pie. Money that will help Leeds develop and in turn help us love and leave the issue of manchester.

·
ßANNED
4,233 Posts
was in Manchester Friday night to watch a gig at the Apollo - fantastic venue but the walk there from Piccadilly station reminded me that even the grottiest inner city areas of Leeds aren't nearly as bad as those in Manchester. Manchester is a city of greater extremes in terms of wealth and poverty I'd say - it's nice that Leeds has a little bit more balance.

·
Man of Motion
608 Posts
was in Manchester Friday night to watch a gig at the Apollo - fantastic venue but the walk there from Piccadilly station reminded me that even the grottiest inner city areas of Leeds aren't nearly as bad as those in Manchester. Manchester is a city of greater extremes in terms of wealth and poverty I'd say - it's nice that Leeds has a little bit more balance.
Walked through Leeds on Friday night from the Grand to the station and was impressed by attitudes and behaviour and appearance of the place. Amazing number of buildings floodlit. Terrific. Maybe it all went pear-shaped in the small hours but for me and my visitors it was a good experience. As for comparisons with Manchester, who cares ? You can't really compare places properly; after all most UK cities look pretty dire compared with cities in western Europe but tourists still come here and seem to like us and our funny insular ways.

·
B*tch
15,140 Posts
I think Leeds is doing better than Manchester socially. I know a lot of people tend to dismiss statistics but Leeds out-performs Manchester on health, education, wealth, poverty, equality etc. All that government investment makes Manchester look good on the outside but on the inside it's not so pretty.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Point of fact.

There is more money spent by the government in Leeds per head then in GM South (the only stat available from the ONS).

But don't let the truth get in the way of what you are talking about hey?

FWIW - I bet you would not even be able to agree what you mean what Manchester is anyway, let alone try to compare it to Leeds.

Anyhow, ain't Brum the 2nd city? Why not compare Leeds to there?

·
Registered
12,974 Posts
I think Leeds is doing better than Manchester socially. I know a lot of people tend to dismiss statistics but Leeds out-performs Manchester on health, education, wealth, poverty, equality etc. All that government investment makes Manchester look good on the outside but on the inside it's not so pretty.

I guess you could claim Leeds' boundaries make it appear wealthier than it is, but Manchester does have more deprivation statistically.

·
B*tch
15,140 Posts
Point of fact.

There is more money spent by the government in Leeds per head then in GM South (the only stat available from the ONS).

But don't let the truth get in the way of what you are talking about hey?

FWIW - I bet you would not even be able to agree what you mean what Manchester is anyway, let alone try to compare it to Leeds.

Anyhow, ain't Brum the 2nd city? Why not compare Leeds to there?

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I guess you could claim Leeds' boundaries make it appear wealthier than it is, but Manchester does have more deprivation statistically.
Indeed it does, just like other large urban areas like Brum and London.

But I am not sure why you would want to discuss the deprevation in Manchester in a Leeds thread.

Does it somehow make Leeds more appealing.

Smacks of obsession to me!

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
It's not in the north of England.
and?

Your aspirations that low you must always only focus on one other city and try to catch them up?

Big huge wide world out there.

Many more interesting places to compare Leeds to than Manchester but you're clearly obsessed with the place so you may as well keep it going.

·
Registered
12,974 Posts
Does it somehow make Leeds more appealing.

Smacks of obsession to me!

It should make Leeds more appealing because relative to other cities in the north its deprivation isn't as acute as Manchester or Liverpool in statistical terms.

Secondly, aren't you a 'Leeds obsessive' for constantly posting on the Leeds threads? :lol:

One of your previous posts:

What a great for football this year has been.

League and CL double.

Lids managed not to make it out of League 1 despite looking dead certs to around January.

Happy days indeed, thanks Leeds for finishing of the season for me on a top note.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts