SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 516 Posts

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
It used to be the most advanced/modern. It was also the city that was moving forward as well, but all that has stopped now.

I do not know about biggest though

·
Registered
18,919 Posts
Hmm the place certainly has the potential to be. Shame the uslessly boring, unimaginative, conservative middle-england-suburban voters put a spanner in the works.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Moscow seems to have overtaken London in population, and possibly Paris will too, but London has spent the past 60 years circling itself with a green belt otherwise it would have just kept on growing to 20 or more million. Amen to that.

London has a very large properly central area.

What defines modern?

·
Registered
5,070 Posts
Paris's population is metro - for fairness London's would need to include inner parts of the Home Counties which takes it well into double figures.

·
Registered
9,076 Posts
I believe it is the largest city outright in the EU, both in population and area, which a lot of people appear to equate with Europe. For those (and there are many) who don't consider Russia or Turkey as European, then London is probably the largest city in Europe. If we consider metro areas than it becomes problematic because the UK, unlike France, the US and many other countries, doesn't produce official figures so its all guesswork. If we include the fact that how you measure a metro area differs from nation to nation, it becomes even more difficult to compare. Estimates for London range from 10-15 million (I think).

Most modern? How do you define modern? Is it buildings, culture, attitude? Something else?

·
Londinium langur
10,293 Posts
Biggest, yes. London's official metro population is 18 million. This spreads over a large area but is still far more concentrated than US metros, and the transport connections from the periphery to the urban centre are unequalled in Europe (or indeed the Western world). London's metro population is considerably larger than Paris, Moscow, or Istanbul.

Most advanced is more debatable. In some ways London is the most advanced and sophisticated but in others areas it is playing catch-up, expensively and belatedly trying to upgrade old infrastructure to the latest standards.

·
25,365 Posts
Biggest, yes. London's official metro population is 18 million. This spreads over a large area but is still far more concentrated than US metros, and the transport connections from the periphery to the urban centre are unequalled in Europe (or indeed the Western world). London's metro population is considerably larger than Paris, Moscow, or Istanbul.

Most advanced is more debatable. In some ways London is the most advanced and sophisticated but in others areas it is playing catch-up, expensively and belatedly trying to upgrade old infrastructure to the latest standards.
As we were talking about it before using those London's standard Moscow metro area will be over 20mln.

And yet again - metro area is very fictive and non applicable to define it as a city for both Moscow and London. Urban area is what we call city in Europe, not fictive metro area.

So far we know

Moscow:
1080 sq km: 10,5mln
4500 sq km: 14mln

London:
1600 sq km: 8,2mln
11400 sq km: 13mln

Allmost all independent sources put London far behind of Moscow.

·
lacking in substance
1,594 Posts
To me, 'largest city' means the city that takes up the most space, and looking at google satellite maps that would appear to be London, by quite a long way.

Surely its a bit pointless arguing over metro populations - you're never going to be able to settle on one definition that can be applied equally to all cities

·
Londinium langur
10,293 Posts
Allmost all independent sources put London far behind of Moscow.
No they don't. We've been through area and population stats lots of times before. There is no way any credible meausure of Moscow's metro population exceeds the 18 million of London's. To get such figure for Moscow you'd have to count an area almost as large as England (which has 50 million).

·
25,365 Posts
No even any credible independent source for London.

So

Eurostat
London: 12mln

ESPON
London: 13,7mln

UN
London: 8,5mln
Moscow: 10,5mln

Citypopulation
London: 12,3mln
Moscow: 13,5mln

World Gazetteer
London: 13,2mln
Moscow: 14,8mln

To get such figure for Moscow you'd have to count an area almost as large as England (which has 50 million).
With one exception - England is not a single urban area.
As of Moscow - you'll easily get 20mln just under 10000 sq km

·
float-my-boat
2,248 Posts
Well, I guess it really depends on how you look at it and what do you actually mean by "largest". If we are talking about the city itself and not the metropolitan area it's one thing, if we are talking about metropolitan area it's a different thing altogether. Just looking on google maps you can see that London Metropolitan area is obviously bigger. But mind you, Moscow basically entirely consists of apartment blocks, mostly between 12-18 storeys, while London's average vertical height is probably significantly lower, hence, being a big city it has expanded way more horizontally. Also Moscow has clearly defined boundaries, while London (in terms of horizontal expansion) resembles a northern american city.
In the end, I'd say that London has a bigger metropolitan area, with more people living, but the city itself is smaller than Moscow and probably has smaller population likewise.
Paris is obviously the third largest (whatever you imply by this definition). Istanbul is hard one, politically it is not europe (just like Moscow), but you can't really say that it is europe geographically or culturally either, I'd left it out.

·
Londinium langur
10,293 Posts
With one exception - England is not a single urban area. As of Moscow - you'll easily get 20mln just under 10000 sq km
That's absolute hocus. There are not 20 million people in 10,000km around Moscow. I want evidence (but I know you don't have it ;) ). According to this source:

Moscow:
- metro area = 45,000 km 2
- population = 17 million
- density = 378 per km 2

London:
- metro area = 21,000 km 2
- population = 18 million
- density = 857 per km 2

·
Londinium langur
10,293 Posts
Istanbul is hard one, politically it is not europe (just like Moscow), but you can't really say that it is europe geographically or culturally either, I'd left it out.
I disagree. Most of Istanbul is geographically in Europe, the historic districts are entirely in Europe, and it has been Europe's largest city for most of history. It has also been a culturally European city for most of its history with a Christian majority from the early days of Christianity until after WWI.

·
25,365 Posts
That's absolute hocus. There are not 20 million people in 10,000km around Moscow. I want evidence (but I know you don't have it ;) ). According to this source:

Moscow:
- metro area = 45,000 km 2
- population = 17 million
- density = 378 per km 2
Moscow metro area has radial structure, you don't need to count free space between rays, as rays goes straight out of urban core far beyond of Moscow province borders. Most of settlements located on rays.

That's exactly what are you doing with your fictive London metro area - counting lots and lots of rural area. Your fictive metro area is uncontinues urban area - several independent urban areas.

1 - 20 of 516 Posts