SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does high gas prices affect Manhattan.. ? Many people walk.. Wouldn't high gas prices get more people walking and cause traffic. How do New Yorkers feel about High Gas prices does it affect them at all..?

·
Paradise Island
3,705 Posts
There are other effects of the price of gas other than the cost of driving. Almost everything people in Manhatten buy gets there by truck, train or boat - those run on oil.

·
53,115 Posts
Does high gas prices affect Manhattan.. ? Many people walk.. Wouldn't high gas prices get more people walking and cause traffic. How do New Yorkers feel about High Gas prices does it affect them at all..?
I don't think walking can be seen as a major substitute for driving. It's not like people are gonna walk from Harlem to lower Manhattan or something like that.

And to be frank, driving a distance one would normally walk is crazy, even if the gas prices were $ 1.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
It affects the things they buy like food, clothes, home goods, etc. That all has to be shipped by modes of transportation that rely on oil. But they are saving a lot more than the rest of the country that drives by walking and taking public transit.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
It just dawned on me that I can't ever remember seeing a gas station in Manhattan and I spent many summers in NYC growing up. I know there are a lot of cars there, where do they get their gas? To NYC residents, where are Mahanttan's gas stations?

·
53,115 Posts
Google Earth has the option to show gas stations. I can't find a lot of them in Manhattan. There should be one on Wall Street, but that seems to be more like an office or something. I can't imagine that there would be a gas station right on Wall Street.

·
Registered
422 Posts
It just dawned on me that I can't ever remember seeing a gas station in Manhattan and I spent many summers in NYC growing up. I know there are a lot of cars there, where do they get their gas? To NYC residents, where are Mahanttan's gas stations?
I posted a similar post on SSP. I never noticed a gas station while in Manhattan. From what I hear there are some on the outskirts of the island.

·
The City
5,935 Posts
There are plenty of gas stations in Manhattan. You guys just haven't spent enough time there.

I live in Queens, and high gas prices have barely affected me either. I use my car once per month.

·
Premium Member
Seattle
2,822 Posts
Google Earth has the option to show gas stations. I can't find a lot of them in Manhattan. There should be one on Wall Street, but that seems to be more like an office or something. I can't imagine that there would be a gas station right on Wall Street.
In Chicago (and most certainly new york) expensive gas stations can be sometimes be found inside parking garages near important office buildings. Maybe that is what you saw with google?

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
The less you use your car or other transit and are dependent on it, the less you are affected whether you live in Queens, Brooklyn, Chicago, where I live, wherever. The price of food is up, but public transportation costs aren't increasing at the rate that gas prices are.

And there are a bunch of gas stations in Manhattan. They're more concentrated uptown, but there are a bunch of gas stations in Manhattan.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Sometimes, I take advantage by getting gas at a nearby military base gas station since I have a security clearance. I've also seen gas stations at a nearby BJ's that has prices probably 10 or so cents cheaper and that line is always long.

·
metrocard millionaire
1,257 Posts
I wonder if many people who actually have a car in Manhattan go to the other side of the Hudson to take advantage of the nearly 40 cent discount of prices in New Jersey. However, I think that tolls sort of make it more pointless to do so. Prices are still below $4 there, I believe. :shocked:
My sister does it all the time man.

and yep there are gas stations in manhattan.

I just came back from a month out in Germany and two things that I can't get out of my mind are; the price of gas out there, and the bike racks!

·
53,115 Posts
Yeah, the US gas prices are still insanely cheap compared to western Europe. I pay € 1.69 per liter or $ 10 per gallon. Though German bike racks are nothing compared to the Dutch ones :D check out any major trainstation here.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts