SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently miami developers face, minimal to non-existant opposition to there projects. Mainly due to the fact that the downtown area has no residents to oppose those projects.

But now with the downtown population expected to rise atleast 2 times are we destined to become a city full of nimby's who will oppose every single project, due to traffic, view corridor, shadow and increase in density impacts.

with many residents moving back into the city from the suburbs, will they bring there suburban mentality back into our city, we've seen it happen when villa magna was proposed and the jade resident showed up in full force, causing the project to downsize in height and density, there reason was that there views and traffic would be affected.

New york city, the skyscraper capital of the world in recent years has had a huge increase in opposition to projects, many will claim , that it was due to 9/11, nevertheless now even 10story projects have a hard time getting approved.

The biscayne corridor, a major boulevard a few years ago was restricted to a 95ft height limit, due to neighbor opposition to large projects, will our high density areas face the same issue once new residents move in?

so is the time to build high and big,now?

Reactions: ChuckScraperMiami#1

·
Registered
341 Posts
yes its now or never and i think miami beach is the current nimby capital of our universe. its got more preservation and prohibitive restraints/standards then london or new york and yet its not even 100 yrs old !!!!!
but i do see miami starting to lose its flair for the dramatic and i can easily see that whole my view is worth preservation (see jade in miami and portofino in sobe) as the new trend.

·
Banned
38 Posts
Nimby's all have a price. As long as developers continue to donate $1M to the adjacent neighboring association, they can get all the support they need.

And as far as Miami Beach is concerned, especially South Beach, I can't understand why people want to preserve old, nasty, out of code buildings that are an eyesore to most. Only about half are worth keeping.

They need to allow redevelopment, but keep height restrictions if they want to preserve the low rise look. Create a redevelopment approval board to maintain "art deco" construction.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
hopefully, as downtown progresses over time, there wont be that many nimbys in the miami wall area, mainly because of the wall... what view are they gonna complain is being obstructed lol. in any case, traffic will still be a factor, but hopefully, people will start to get the idea that walking is the better idea for traveling around the downtown area.

that said, with the way the global demand for oil is going, i think mass transit will be huge in downtown, so the nimby's that would be moving into downtown, won't have that much opposition to any building... other than a radical design. and by radical, i mean ugly.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Speaking of mass transit I can't wait until they get the street car up and running. It will be especially convenient in the southern part of Biscayne Boulevard because those parking lots can be replaced with a really big median for the streetcar to run through.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
dont get your hopes up about it... iono where the city of miami is gonna get $200 and dade county has enough on its plate with the metro rail expansion... great idea, but i dont see it happening for a long time, if ever...

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/14413660.htm

Streetcar: The original $132 million plans called for a 6.75-mile system from the Design District through Midtown Miami and creating several downtown loops. Last year, planners quietly added an east-west loop that would run from Wynwood, along Northwest 20th Street, to the Civic Center area, and the price tag swelled to near $200 million. But there's no concrete financing plan in place,and the start date has been pushed back from 2006 to 2008 and now, in the best-case scenario, 2010. Bottom line: Thousands of new condos, and 600,000 square feet of high-volume retail stores will be ready for occupancy years before the streetcars that were supposed to serve them.
so uh... yeah

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
BornInTheGrove said:
Why dont they just drop the connection to the civic center area (which would simply be mirroring existing metrorail track)?

But on the Nimby note, I noticed one commissioner added a refreshing bit of sanity to the UDB debate when they stated that all of these people who are screaming that the UDB should not be moved should not come complaining when higher density projects start showing up in their neighborhoods. But of course they will.

·
Savior of Gondor
1,505 Posts
dave8721 said:
Why dont they just drop the connection to the civic center area (which would simply be mirroring existing metrorail track)?

But on the Nimby note, I noticed one commissioner added a refreshing bit of sanity to the UDB debate when they stated that all of these people who are screaming that the UDB should not be moved should not come complaining when higher density projects start showing up in their neighborhoods. But of course they will.
Its sad that people live in an urban setting and complaine about it being...urban. Why would someone move to Miami and then complaine about it being Miami. Its a crowded city as it is, and of course it will get even more so as now it is going vertical. Good transportation is key in making this work as are public green spaces and good public works (Chuck has that covered :). Building up the downtown core is great as it helps with a lot of problems (tall buildings in an area already with tall buildings and people close to their jobs helps with traffic issues). I wish they were building more talls in the CBD instead of spreading them out from there but take what we can get :)

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Im hoping gas prices get up to 5bucks a gallon, choking off areas like doral,pembroke pines, actually all of broward and west palm.

OK no that would be mean and also would cause the trucking industry to go bankrupt, but atleast then people will finally get there fat asses out of there cars and they will notice how fast the metrorail is,It doesn't matter to me,because i walk to school,lol

Reactions: ChuckScraperMiami#1
1 - 16 of 16 Posts