SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
17,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is how I look at NY. While San Francisgo and Los Angeles are more associated with Asia, NY is more associated with Europe. Most likely it has to do with location and it's close proximity with Europe and also the rich European history of the city.

What do you think?

·
17,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hydrogen said:
New York is unquestionably an international city. It influences and is influenced by, well, the world. But, when push comes to shove, its heart is in the United States.
That's very true about NY but the thing is, it has more influence from Europe (and Latin America) than Asia.

·
17,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hydrogen said:
You mean in terms of the people from those places who live there? Please explain what you mean by "influence".
I meant more the people and culture :)

·
逍遥法外
721 Posts
WANCH said:
This is how I look at NY. While San Francisgo and Los Angeles are more associated with Asia, NY is more associated with Europe. Most likely it has to do with location and it's close proximity with Europe and also the rich European history of the city.

What do you think?
San Francisco and Seattle have a better association with Asia than L.A. does--mainly because Asia has to take a back seat to L.A.'s much more prominent association with Latin American. Not that it matters a whole lot, though, I'm just being a nit-picky bastard.

However, to a degree I agree with you on the euro-NY association, not that NY has much to with europe, but more so that a lot of europeans don't seem to realize that there is this whole other country outside of New York.

·
17,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
XiaoBai said:
San Francisco and Seattle have a better association with Asia than L.A. does--mainly because Asia has to take a back seat to L.A.'s much more prominent association with Latin American. Not that it matters a whole lot, though, I'm just being a nit-picky bastard.

However, to a degree I agree with you on the euro-NY association, not that NY has much to with europe, but more so that a lot of europeans don't seem to realize that there is this whole other country outside of New York.
LA's is oriented with both Asia and Latin America especially Mexico. In fact alot of Japanese companies have their regional offices or factories either in LA or surrounding counties. Toy companies like Bandai has it's American HQ in Cerritoes for example.

And LA and SF also has it's Euro influence as well but not as big as NY's. SF has a strong Italian influence especially in finance and retail.

Also, with Europeans and NY. It's the same with most Asian living in LA or SF. They don't realize there's a whole other country outside California or Nevada.

·
逍遥法外
721 Posts
^Yes I am full aware of all of this--being a native of the West Coast...however in most American's eyes, LA=Mexico, SF and Seattle=Asia. Los Angeles without a doubt has an asian influence, but the isn't as dominant in LA as it is in the other two main cities on the coastline (a lot which has to do with LA's size compared to the other 2). A lot of Japanese companies have their US Head quarters in Seattle as well, where the local delicacy--fittingly--is sushi.

·
17,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
XiaoBai said:
^Yes I am full aware of all of this--being a native of the West Coast...however in most American's eyes, LA=Mexico, SF and Seattle=Asia. Alot of Japanese companies have their US Head quarters in Seattle as well.
Forgot about Seattle. In fact I never been to The Pacific Northwest though my uncle lives in Tacoma.

LA does have alot of Mexican influence, even it's mayor is Mexican.

Besides Europe, NY is also oriented with Puerto Rico as well.

·
逍遥法外
721 Posts
^That's very true--Puerto Rican's seem to only migrate over to NYC.

·
Super Moderator
11,283 Posts
wtf is it with your weird questions?
New York isn't europe oriented IMO, maybe compared to some other US cities, but not enough IMO
New York is the authentic American city, it isn't anything else, it's what every other city in the US aspires to

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I dont think NYC is lacking in Asian influence. It is truly a global city. To me it looks like there are plenty of asians immigrating to New York. The town I grew up is over 20% asian, the town next to it is over 40% asian. It appears that there are more and more asians in the city every time I go in as well. I'd like to see some immigration statistics about it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
EtherealMist said:
I dont think NYC is lacking in Asian influence. It is truly a global city. To me it looks like there are plenty of asians immigrating to New York. The town I grew up is over 20% asian, the town next to it is over 40% asian. It appears that there are more and more asians in the city every time I go in as well. I'd like to see some immigration statistics about it.
real talk....maaad asians living in long island. You ask a strange question though. No offense, but make your threads more discussiion oriented...because asian influence and european influences? They are BOTH in world cities....

·
Registered
583 Posts
NYC having a european influence??? NOT!!! My area in LES is still prodominantly hispanic PR with chinese in china town and jewish in select parts. Italians around lil italy, italian/irish in staten island and parts of BK. Strong german and orthodox jewish population in bk, strong latio (south american mostly) population in queens, huge dominican population in washington weights and most of uptown manhattan. Blakcs in harlem. Rich people in midtown, business rich people on wall street. West side, soho, noho is white american village folks and huge gay area in chelsea. Europeans just select and mixed in btwn unless there are some exclusive areas I don't know about.

But overall...

European folks??? I see more in Orlando Fl. than I see in NYC.

·
17,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
nygirl said:
Wanch, where have you been in New York City?
Manhattan, Brooklyn and The Bronx. But I was only there for three days. I'll be flying to NY this coming June and be checking out the city again.

Anyway, Samson Yuen got what I'm trying to say.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts