SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Your predictions please...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Brummie Angeleno
15,644 Posts
I bought a second-hand N reg Rover 414si last month, my first, and it drives like a dream, with a lovely comfortable interior. Apart from the fact I feel I should wear gloves and a hat when driving it, it really is a class car. That's the crunch - Rovers are for middle-class, white collars and not for young flashy go-getters.
The best thing BL / Rover ever did in my lifetime was launching the MiniMetro. I can still remember waiting for the bus on the way to school in 1980, and seeing hundreds upon hundreds of Metros driving down the Bristol Road - didn't know what it was, either an ad campaign or test driving, but they were pretty forward looking cars at the time. Rover lost their way by not launching another small car.

· Brummie Angeleno
15,644 Posts
Ditto Foxtrot and EK and Blueboy - BMW are wankers and the people who drive them are too. I wrote a letter to the Mail in 2000 appealing to everybody to buy Rover or British cars, and also left a copy of the Mail in a Dusseldorf train station when I was working on a job out there with the headline saying something like Shafted by BMW at the time. Reading also in the press about how much the locals haven't been buying Rover - West Mids Police for a start. They've bought 3...yes 3 Rovers in the last 5 yrs! What a fucking disgrace!

· Brummie Angeleno
15,644 Posts
Ok Martin - let's calm down and think about the poor workers, and of course for the people of Browns Lane. This is a huge blow to Brum and Cov irrespective of whose bloody fault it is.
I saw Have I got News for You tonight and in a sheer twist of fate, it was compered by our nemesis Jeremy Clarkson. I was thinking "just you bloody well dare" - and there it was - a little sneer here and there; some slight feeling for the workers and a photoshopped logo (Viking ship) stating Over with the R removed. And how the London audience guffawed at that little baby!
I don't know how you can take 5000 workers' misfortune and turn it into a laugh-a-minute as a cheap shot on the same night as the company's gone under.
I hope the BBC received lots of calls tonight, and that people like J Clarkson aren't walking down dark alleys in Brum in the future.

· Brummie Angeleno
15,644 Posts
All non-Brummies (or people who don't know Longbridge) should hold back what they say on the standards and the technology of the plant, because as EK says, it was a remarkable factory that must have been the largest in the UK, and covered a huge range of functions for the motor industry.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.