SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Optimum
9,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Personally I think Santiago changed a lot since 1980s... especially after the military regime... look at its skyline, its metro system, its highway system, etc.

I would call that "Neoliberal miracle".

·
Registered
115 Posts
In this and previous threads, people keep referring to Chile's economy as "neo-liberal" which is a term I'm unfamiliar with. I've always heard similar economic policy called "classical liberal" or simply free market capitalism.

In any event, I wouldn't call it a miracle, simply because Chile's strong and relatively stable economy is exactly what one should expect for a country that embraces the free market.

Of course, it's very hard to speak in absolutes, since Chile is hardly a perfect right-wing economic model. Just like Argentina is certainly not a true left-wing model. It's all really a matter of degree.

In any event, Santiago and Chile should be very proud of how they got rid of a corrupt regime, and replaced it with a democrasy, all without falling victim to far-left demagouges like some of their unfortunate neighbors to the North.

·
17,428 Posts
Santiago to me is the most modern looking city in South America. Especially the airport. It's as modern as Chek Lap Kok or Incheon.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Chile is performing very well thanks to the free market model and is in all south america the only country that has some future.

·
Registered
656 Posts
As I understand it Neo-Liberal means sort of the post Keynesian economic policy since the end of Bretton Woods in the 70's. I'd associate it with the proactive central banking, the belief in supply side economics and tax cutting to spur growth. But I'm no economics major so I don't really know for sure!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts