12 Mexico-stad México Mexico 8.659.409
13 Jakarta Indonesië 8.556.798
14 Tokio Tōkyō Japan 8.372.440
What do you think?

·
Registered
522 Posts
What do you think?
No, it's not the biggest. And because Chinese don't really make any babies, other cities will be bigger than Shanghai in the future. I think the current population of Shanghai is somewhere between 20-23 million people. Cities like Mumbai and Dehli will definitely be bigger than Shanghai in the future.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Don't you think it's already the largest with this figure which even excludes Kunshan and Suzhou?
I don't think so. There's not much doubt that Tokyo is the biggest city in the world as far as I know. Shanghai is probably in the region with Mexico City, New York, Seoul and Sao Paulo. Mumbai is probably already up there with Shanghai and is probably growing much faster. Expect Dehli, Dhaka and Karachi to follow. Hell, even Lagos in Nigeria might overtake Shanghai soon.

·
Banned
261 Posts
As a city is Tokyo with its 40 million the biggest, but not as municipality.

·
starwar
6,147 Posts
this list may only include the population in urban eara of a city.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't think so. There's not much doubt that Tokyo is the biggest city in the world as far as I know. Shanghai is probably in the region with Mexico City, New York, Seoul and Sao Paulo. Mumbai is probably already up there with Shanghai and is probably growing much faster. Expect Dehli, Dhaka and Karachi to follow. Hell, even Lagos in Nigeria might overtake Shanghai soon.

"Mumbai is probably already up there with Shanghai and is probably growing much faster"

are you crazy? no intend to hurt anyone, sounds crazy but it's true,ANY chinese city over 500,000 population is better than Mumbai. one can easy get this conclusion if you do visit Mumbai and any Chinese cities

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Your are kidding me? Indian has practically no infrastructure...
Chill man! You guys are always on the offensive when it comes to India and China. If you read carefully he was talking about population and the future growth of these cities and it won't be surprising if Mumbai actually surpasses Shanghai considering China has the one child policy thing.

·
Registered
184 Posts
No, it's not the biggest. And because Chinese don't really make any babies, other cities will be bigger than Shanghai in the future. I think the current population of Shanghai is somewhere between 20-23 million people. Cities like Mumbai and Dehli will definitely be bigger than Shanghai in the future.
The population of China might not grow but until recently (and still to a degree) Chinese were not able to move easily to cities. The potential rural-urban drift in China over the next few decades is in the hundreds of millions. Shanghai is growing at the rate of about a million a year (noone really knows) and is about to swallow Suzhou (3-5 million), Wuxi (1-2 million) and even Hangzhou (5-7 million?) in the next twenty years or so. It could well beat Tokyo in hte not so distant future. I think Shanghai (or the Yangtze delta) will break new ground in terms of mega cities over the next 50 years.
I'm not sure the Indian cities will keep up in the medium term. Mumbai has no nearby cities to swallow and Delhi already has swallowed them. Both will need massive infrastructure investment too, if they are to get much bigger. I haven't been to Mumbai but Delhi is a slum-filled shithole next to Shanghai. I wonder if there is a point where cities get so feral that people stop moving there, even in the poorest of countries?
In the long term though, who knows?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Chill man! You guys are always on the offensive when it comes to India and China. If you read carefully he was talking about population and the future growth of these cities and it won't be surprising if Mumbai actually surpasses Shanghai considering China has the one child policy thing.
You dont need borns to increase the population. Migrants works are the ones that are increasing Shanghai's Population.

·
Registered
522 Posts
You dont need borns to increase the population. Migrants works are the ones that are increasing Shanghai's Population.
And in other major and rapidly growing cities it is both, which causes them to grow faster. Nothing wrong with that, I'm just telling you as it is, without babies, Shanghai will be a city full of old people, just like many parts of the countryside. But Shanghai can still be a major world city of course, just not the biggest city, that will most likely go to some city on the sub-continent.

·
囧!
10,897 Posts
My very own estimate of Shanghai's population is a bit over 25 million at the moment. This number increases by some 300.000 to 3 million people per year. :)

I arrived to Shanghai from Huang Shan by train a week ago, and the area all the way from Wuxi to Shanghai is pretty much built up along the rails. Very impressive.

·
Registered
696 Posts
My very own estimate of Shanghai's population is a bit over 25 million at the moment. This number increases by some 300.000 to 3 million people per year. :)

I arrived to Shanghai from Huang Shan by train a week ago, and the area all the way from Wuxi to Shanghai is pretty much built up along the rails. Very impressive.
No on-the-rail photos? :cheers:

·
starwar
6,147 Posts

there is great tokyo, i just wonder, the cities like suzhou,wuxi, could there be counted as great shanghai eara as tokyo method?:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts