Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is Shanghai really the richest city in Mainland China ? This is what I heard from quite a numbers of videos, but I am still wondering if this is just a misconception or it is really true. If not Shanghai then which city do you think is the richest ?

·
Seeking Affiliation
1,217 Posts
@ 02tonyl

Yup. Shenzhen, for example, is a large Chinese city that has a higher GDP-per-capita than the Municipality of Shanghai. There are a dozen medium-sized cities in the provinces of Zhejiang, Jiangsu, and Guangdong that have higher GDP-per-capita/s than the Municipality of Shanghai.

The reason Shanghai is often cited as China's wealthiest metropolis is that it simply is too god damn big in terms of raw economic size and weight.

·
Fishing
215 Posts
It depends on your criteria of 'rich'. San Jose is the richest city in America according to median household income, and NYC is not even on the top 20. Well, Shanghai is recognised as the richest city becouse of its economic size/GDP and financial income.

·
Fishing
215 Posts
2007 Per capita income

1 Dongguan 27025

2 Shenzhen 24870

3 Wenzhou 24002

4 Shanghai 23623

5 Guangzhou 22469

6 Ningbo 22307

7 Taizhou 22245

8 Beijing 21989

9 Shaoxin 21717

10 Hangzhou 21689

·
Registered
569 Posts
there're a lot more high wage positions in Shanghai, that's why people think it's wealthier,besides it's got more skyscrapers so it looks prosperous.

I heard from several Shanghai immigrants that a civil engi with several years of experiences usually get paid no less than 300k¥, and experienced IT people can earn over 1 million ¥. Don't know if it's true but it is too much compare to the salary in my hometown (small city but its GDP ranks around 30th).

·
Registered
428 Posts
It depends on your criteria of 'rich'. San Jose is the richest city in America according to median household income, and NYC is not even on the top 20. Well, Shanghai is recognised as the richest city becouse of its economic size/GDP and financial income.
I did not realize that I was living in the richest city in America. You are right, San Jose is the richest city in America.

http://dcjobsource.com/richest.html

·
Registered
5,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
beijing white coller workers earn as much as shanghai workers.
I don't think so , I read from a Xinhua report quite many months ago they did a white collar's average salary analysis in some big cities in China and on average Beijing's white collar workers salary is lower than Shanghai. on the level of big cities, Shanghai's white collar workers' average salary is the closest to Hong Kong's , although the average salary of white collar workers of Shanghai's is about 1/3 of Hong Kong's

·
starwar
6,147 Posts
I don't think so , I read from a Xinhua report quite many months ago they did a white collar's average salary analysis in some big cities in China and on average Beijing's white collar workers salary is lower than Shanghai. on the level of big cities, Shanghai's white collar workers' average salary is the closest to Hong Kong's , although the average salary of white collar workers of Shanghai's is about 1/3 of Hong Kong's
1/3 of hongkong salary, sounds dilicious. good pay.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Is Shanghai really the richest city in Mainland China ? This is what I heard from quite a numbers of videos, but I am still wondering if this is just a misconception or it is really true. If not Shanghai then which city do you think is the richest ?

beijing now

i think their income is over $10000 (13 million) whereas shanghai is around $10000 (21 million including migrants)

however when people say shanghai is richest it also encompasses the high purchasing power parity per capita income of average shanghai residents, the highest life expectancy municipality of 81-82 years, the health system, the highest human development index, other cities are a bit lower than shanghai

·
Registered
5,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
beijing now

i think their income is over $10000 (13 million) whereas shanghai is around $10000 (21 million including migrants)

however when people say shanghai is richest it also encompasses the high purchasing power parity per capita income of average shanghai residents, the highest life expectancy municipality of 81-82 years, the health system, the highest human development index, other cities are a bit lower than shanghai
some links or source please.

·
Registered
5,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
336 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts