Votes: 13 34.2%
  • no

Votes: 25 65.8%
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
the man who builds cities
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its about time I broke me duck, and started a thread.

I would say it is a skyscraper, for manchester anyway.

its small windows make it look bigger than it is, if it had balconies may it wouldnt get my approval.

·
Banned
14,131 Posts
A skyscraper is generally considered to be a building over 150m.

Have you ever been to London and actually seen Tower 42 or SwissRe up close? Now they are real skyscrapers. Check this out: http://www.willfox.com/t42.html

Arndale is a big building but it doesn't exactly "soar" like a true skyscraper does.

Don't worry, you'll soon have the Beetham Tower. :)

·
Registered
291 Posts
The Arndale is a pathetic excuse for a building why they don't knock it down is beyond me!

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
I like the arndale tower it adds a bit of midrise bulk to the skyline ..it just needs recladding not demolishing and it looks good at night lit up

G

·
they are pretty damn similar in size aren't they.

Looking at Beetham (the side with the blade on) will look huge.

Didn't realise it would be as tall as Tower 42 - which looks huge even amongst the taller surroundings in London.

·
the man who builds cities
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wjfox2002 said:
A skyscraper is generally considered to be a building over 150m.

Have you ever been to London and actually seen Tower 42 or SwissRe up close? Now they are real skyscrapers. Check this out: http://www.willfox.com/t42.html

Arndale is a big building but it doesn't exactly "soar" like a true skyscraper does.

Don't worry, you'll soon have the Beetham Tower. :)
I have been to NYC and seen the Empire State building and the Twin Towers....now they are REAL skyscrapers.........hehehe.

I have to say, I wouldnt say a council tower block was a skyscraper, but the Arndale is over 20 stories high .........does anyone have a good pic showing it in good light.

If it was actually possible to stand at its base (instead of in the feckin middle of a shopping mall) I think it would look alot more slender.

·
Like 'Berg'
6,807 Posts
It has a dominating presence over its immediate surroundings, I like it.. at one time it would of been feasible to say it was a skyscraper to Manc.. as it was the 3rd tallest block.. now however, like its 2 senior cousins it shall be a mid-rise, as the age of true skyscrapers begins for Manc. I would still call it a tower. Besides, you keep calling it rank but it aint that bad from a distance, lol.. they're are far worse towers about.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
The small windows are the reason why it looks taller than it is,I like the way it towers over exchange sq...is it due for a reclad? the mustard colour is one reason why people hate it I think ...it reminds them of the old arndale itself.....which was digusting

·
Registered
15 Posts
Accura_Preston said:
Although ugly, it is very successful in terms of making money. Because of that, there are no plans to reclad it.
Be curious to know what financial details you are basing that on Accura?

Even it is making money, doesnt exclude the possibility of it being smartened up to make even more money does it?

·
Like 'Berg'
6,807 Posts
Well the Arndale tower is to the Arndale as the Rotunda must be to the Bullring.. and they're wanting to give that a spruce up so.... I wouldn't rule out Arndale, but its unlikely..However, it would be the only tall of Manc not to get some attention, CIS & City Tower are gettin attention.. NT and Portland recently have had work done (even if by Bruntwooders) so who knows.. Certainly would compliment the new Next if the arndale was changed.. Although I think I'd want it staying some kind of yellow colour. A lot less mustard-like and grimey, but maybe similair to the tiles they've used on the Next extension.. could look nice.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts