SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in the 20th century many countries were at war and as a result there was a huge advancement in technology. During the race to the moon and thereafter, we also saw improvement in technology. Those this were beneficial to the advancement of the human race.

How is the high rise competition beneficial, other then the obvious, which is creating places to live. So what if we become much better at building really nice homes? Are we focusing our energy and resources in the area?

·
oh my buddha
691 Posts
high rise take up less space than single family home (more room for natural preserve, parks, etc) and if everyone live close together you can have a grand public transport system which means less cars less roads less parkinglots less energy consumption, etc. i tihnk high rise development is beneficial

·
Registered
32,113 Posts
Should we go back to fighting wars instead ... oh wait some are doing just that.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
high rise take up less space than single family home (more room for natural preserve, parks, etc) and if everyone live close together you can have a grand public transport system which means less cars less roads less parkinglots less energy consumption, etc. i tihnk high rise development is beneficial
:applause:

·
Out of time
11,922 Posts
Agreed completely :eek:kay:.

·
100% Libertarian
6,921 Posts
Better use of lands, reducing the horizontal expanding of cities, helps the world leaving some spaces for forests conservation and agriculture. I think that high rise competition is very beneficial too :yes:

·
Sent from down-below. :P
1,207 Posts
I hate sprawl, but there's also such a thing as too dense IMO. A city needs to maintain a human element to it (good sunlight exposure at ground level, enough inner-city parkland for everyone to enjoy...).

·
17,387 Posts
One density I find interesting is that of Japanese cities especially Tokyo. Tokyo being the largest city in the world has a huge mid-rise density. The city doesn't have any supertalls except for the Tokyo Tower and the Landmark Tower in neighbouring Yokohama.

·
121,921 Posts
I think there's a perception that high density means lots of tall buildings clustered together, but that is not necessarily true. A large swath of developed land that has midrises can still be very dense, as seen in Tokyo, Paris, and Barcelona.

In fact, within Hong Kong, historically the densest parts of the city are in Kowloon, which are predominantely midrise.

·
17,387 Posts
I think there's a perception that high density means lots of tall buildings clustered together, but that is not necessarily true. A large swath of developed land that has midrises can still be very dense, as seen in Tokyo, Paris, and Barcelona.

In fact, within Hong Kong, historically the densest parts of the city are in Kowloon, which are predominantely midrise.
Kowloon was mostly mid-rise prior to the development of Chek Lap Kok. Right now, the heart of Kowloon has the same density although we are seeing high-rises being built around. There was a strict height limit because of Kai-Tak. But even when Kai-Tak was operational, there are some high-rises near its vicinity and even in areas such as Wong Tai Sin, Lok Fu and so on.

·
121,921 Posts
Kowloon was mostly mid-rise prior to the development of Chek Lap Kok. Right now, the heart of Kowloon has the same density although we are seeing high-rises being built around. There was a strict height limit because of Kai-Tak. But even when Kai-Tak was operational, there are some high-rises near its vicinity and even in areas such as Wong Tai Sin, Lok Fu and so on.
These 'high-rises' pale in comparison to the massive scale of new town developments in the New Territories, which is the comparison I'm alluding to. Although Kowloon City itself doesn't look so dense, in fact, the mass of midrises makes the area extremely dense - moreso than the new towns of the time such as Shatin, Tuen Mun.

Hence, the perception that tall buildings = massive density is only a half truth.

·
Sent from down-below. :P
1,207 Posts
If the highrises and supertalls in Hong Kong were all residential buildings (rather than office towers) it would surely blow any other district out of the water as far as density.

From what I undersatnd, strictly speaking density refers only to where people live.

·
Registered
283 Posts
in casablanca about 40 % of the metro area is mid rise buildings high density , I am saying 3 to 5 stories buildings

·
Premium member
9,975 Posts
Better be poor and homeless than being evaporated by hydrogen bomb. Seriously.

I prefer cities dominated by 4-6 story midrise residential with lots of shops and life at streetlevel. Residential hghrises should be limited to the CBD or some selected scenic locations.

·
Registered
7,216 Posts
No. The high rise competition is nothing more then rich people trying to one up other rich people. The Space Race was a scientific achievement for mankind and new fronteirs opened up.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts