SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm renting in City Island (don't get me going) while I try to figure out where I want to buy in Leeds. I was pretty convinced that I want to be in the city centre but recently have been rethinking this. I'm vexed by the hyper-development of flats and simultaneous anaemic infrastructure, the surplus of buy-to-rent landlords, and army of commuter workers, rendering the city centre with no stable core except for boozing and shopping. Do you think this will change much? I know thousands of new flats will be going on line, but I also know that speculators will be sitting on hundreds and hundreds of them.

At the moment, I'm thinking about buying a flat in the Round Foundry -- if I decide to bet on there being a future for the city centre for people other commuters, students, and 20 somethings -- such as a solid community of property owners who live here, for example

Thoughts, responses? Apologies to any one in one of the three categories above....

·
Registered
30,480 Posts
Im confident the city centre will really change into an exciting place- there is only a small area where this has already happened at the moment, the rest is just like one big building siet but in 5 years it will be much different; and even so, if you dont like it Id keep it, wait for it to go up in value with improvements and sell it and get loads of money to buy a rather nice house :) Or a penthouse in a different location. The main part of the centre is the area around Park Row, The Headrow, East Parade I'd say. In terms of a proper city centre lifetstyle- but it will change as time goes on.

·
6,891 Posts
livefrom said:
rendering the city centre with no stable core except for boozing and shopping.
I think that is the local 'slag off' media's view, but I think there is certainly much more to the city centre than all that.

It is the centre for work, shopping and boozing, but also a top centre for more tranquil pastimes as eating out (being one of the best in the country for restaurants), also for culture with four top theatres, also with the best cinema in the region, a centre for museums with the Royal Armouries (10 years old now) Thackray Medical Museum and the new City museum which will be excelant when it opens next year, and even the Art Gallery attracts lots of visitors, and the Town Hall for some concerts. You could add special events like the marathon or parades etc, and even a destination for a spectacular walk by the river as my family often do.

There is a lot more to the city centre than the local winghing press make out. The council's goal of making it the social heart of the city is slowly coming to fruition, the next step is the events arena that should appear within the next five years. There is still a long way to go, but it has come such a long way already in the last decade.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I reckon Round Foundry is the way to go. It's one of the few developments in the city where I would put my money.
You're right about the lack of infrastructre. You're not going to be much closer to what you need as a city centre resident at Round Foundry than you are are at City Island for at least another year or so.
But I think the that area (and the area around ClarenceDock) hold the greatest potential for thriving community living with Leeds' City Living boundaries.

The centre of Leeds would probably be best described as City Square.
The centre for shopping in Leeds is probably Briggate.
And there are various centres for drinking depending on what type of person you are - could be Greek Street, The Calls, Boar Lane or Vicar Lane.
Naturally there are various centres for those who work in town too, with the current largest area being the western side of the City between around Wellington Street & Park Row.

Want any more advice on exactly what and where to buy for your money send me a PM/email - it's my job.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
livefrom said:
I'm renting in City Island (don't get me going) while I try to figure out where I want to buy in Leeds. I was pretty convinced that I want to be in the city centre but recently have been rethinking this. I'm vexed by the hyper-development of flats and simultaneous anaemic infrastructure, the surplus of buy-to-rent landlords, and army of commuter workers, rendering the city centre with no stable core except for boozing and shopping. Do you think this will change much? I know thousands of new flats will be going on line, but I also know that speculators will be sitting on hundreds and hundreds of them.

At the moment, I'm thinking about buying a flat in the Round Foundry -- if I decide to bet on there being a future for the city centre for people other commuters, students, and 20 somethings -- such as a solid community of property owners who live here, for example

Thoughts, responses? Apologies to any one in one of the three categories above....
from A Level geography 10 years ago I vaguely remember the pedestrian plaza outside Boots / Virgin (Lands Lane?!?) as being the 'core' city centre local based on proximity to the station and cost of commercial real estate.

IMO the best place to live would be the Northern Quarter, specifically the developments on North Street - namely the converted apartments above Hansas and the Reliance (Merchants House), or next door in Mackintosh House, above the new office of the Leeds guide. Lots more will be happening in this area including lots of affordable development on Regent Street, the Emco development down past Crispin Lofts next to the British Gas Tower and the close proximity to Harewood/Eastgate. Add the potential opening of Crispin Lofts as an aparthotel and the proximity to trendy northern quarter bars like Mojo and the North Bar (not to mention the Reliance itself).

In addition, Little London is due for a huge refurb (as mentioned in a YEP article a couple of months back).

I strongly believe that if you can do without any sort of river / canal view, then this location has excellent conversions ahead of blocky new builds, an existing bar / restaurant vibe not likely to be afflicted by vomit slicks on Saturday or Sunday mornings and (as said already), will have a humungous development going on with Harewood / Eastgate. Definately my choice.

Alternatively, Round Foundry is pretty much the centre of everything that is good about the Holbeck area. Strangely a family member who was investigating the location was warned off the flats on the premise of their lowrise nature close to the river...... don't recall any flooding events, but its certainly within 1-2m of the river. Seemed a bit OTT to me, but still.

I'd always go for conversions ahead of new build, but then I grew up in an Edwardian house and live in a Victorian conversion now, so have tall ceilings and big odd shaped rooms at my staple. Don't think I could countenance living in anything built after the 1920s.

The city centre needs a better spread demographic - families, empty nesters, pensioners etc. time will tell, what price a series of town houses (ala the Time Square development on Otley Road) being built in the city centre. Lots and lots, and several very brave families to make the leap. Nature of the city centre beast IMO.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
onix said:
if the areana goes ahead, when is construction exspected to begin ? does anyone have an idea ?
try the Leeds Arena thread!!!!!! Nothing has been formally proposed, so as planning permission takes at least 6 months, + any issue with actually purchasing the land and making sure it's vacant etc......ages and ages. Nothing for at least a year sport.

But this is about where to buy in Leeds, and what do you see as central.....

·
Registered
328 Posts
jimbo said:
IMO the best place to live would be the Northern Quarter, specifically the developments on North Street - namely the converted apartments above Hansas and the Reliance (Merchants House), or next door in Mackintosh House, above the new office of the Leeds guide. Lots more will be happening in this area including lots of affordable development on Regent Street, the Emco development down past Crispin Lofts next to the British Gas Tower and the close proximity to Harewood/Eastgate. Add the potential opening of Crispin Lofts as an aparthotel and the proximity to trendy northern quarter bars like Mojo and the North Bar (not to mention the Reliance itself).

In addition, Little London is due for a huge refurb (as mentioned in a YEP article a couple of months back).

Hmm, not so sure I agree with you there Jimbo. Yes, Little London is due for a huge refurb, but you still have Lincoln Green, Burmantofts etc. Besides, the whole of Sheepscar is a dilapidated mess, and would take far more money than LCC has at it's disposal to remedy this. As for the Little London refurb, time will tell, but part of my job is to disrupt the horrendous amount of organised crime that takes place in this part of the city(Little London is used as a sort of crime HQ) and it takes a HUGE amount of optimism to ever imagining this area being a nice part of the world. The refurb will still be LCC property, and most of the residents are staying. New buildings = former serious criminals getting jobs?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you guys -- I thought I posted a response but it seems not to have gone through. Will repost when I've got the time. In the meantime, many thanks for the tips. More anon.

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
jimbo said:
from A Level geography 10 years ago I vaguely remember the pedestrian plaza outside Boots / Virgin (Lands Lane?!?) as being the 'core' city centre local based on proximity to the station and cost of commercial real estate.
In fact I remember from year 10 Geography that the centre of Leeds is on the square where Lands Lane, Commercial Street and Albion Place meet up outside WH Smith. I think there was an abbreviated term for it but forgot what it was. Think it stood for something along the lines of Peak Shopping Area.

Other than that I believe the city should spread in the future but usual issues of amenities and the variety of tenants obviously would need to be considered.

·
Registered
12,639 Posts
Val Verde said:
the centre of Leeds is on the square where Lands Lane, Commercial Street and Albion Place meet up outside WH Smith. I think there was an abbreviated term for it but forgot what it was. Think it stood for something along the lines of Peak Shopping Area.
The square is called Central Square.

·
Registered
13,909 Posts
With other non-residentail projects (which Leeds has been lacking up until recently) on the way, demand should be satisfied. A very intelligent post none the less.

·
Registered
12,639 Posts
York Place might be a decent place to live, with the station, restaurants, coffee bars, pubs, bars and a large growth area in close proximity.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
too much information?

Again, thanks shedloads for all the information.

About conversions: When I first moved to Leeds I stayed in one. The walls were as porous as a loofa sponge. I could hear *everything.* When I asked a building engineer, he said that the standards for conversions were in many cases worse than new builds. What do you think about that?

About Holbeck: It looks as if the city's idea of regeneration is to throw massive amounts of money to build up the industrial "wasteland" (which I actually love as it is, but then I love the Yorkshire Post building...) and create another artificial community. I guess what I'm saying is that what I really like about the Round Foundry area is the way it is *now* -- the combination of old, rough-and-ready and new. I'm afraid I'll be buying into something I really like only to watch it evaporate before my eyes. Also: If I buy there now, with the new stuff going on line eventually, will my little flat be a good investment or just one in a sea of flats and thus not a stable investment-- this is what I'm asking...

The Northern Quarter is a bit of a slog to and from the city centre, don't you think -- if you're walking? But the Reliance is great, and I agree about the building stock there. Am thinking about York Place, too. I see what you mean, di Livio. If I were a millionaire, I might be on Park Square. Clarence Dock seems pretty stable, no?

Rob, the art gallery is severely underfunded and they just lost three important staff members. Leeds has almost no private art galleries, which would give it some national swagger. And Leeds desperately needs something like Manchester's Cornerhouse. About cinema, I politely challenge you to name a film venue in the city centre that screens a good range of movies. I love trash as much as anybody, but it would be nice to see Leeds compete with Huddersfield, even, for movies to see.

Btw, in spite of what I seem to be saying, I really love this city.

·
Registered
30,480 Posts
Vue The Light shows every release- one of the biggest and busiest cinemas in the region, and defientley the biggest city centre cinema in the region.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
centred on the city....

This stuff is really on my mind because I'm an urban person -- always have been -- and for the first time in my life, I'm wondering if I'll stay that way because of Leeds city centre. The Vue? I go there but it does not a vital film scene make -- no way. To the best of my knowledge, for example, "Hidden," easily one of the most interesting films to appear in a while, played for two days at the Vue during the Leeds Film Festival. A city centre worthy of being a cultural centre has more than one film venue, period. Choice -- that's part of what makes a city a city and not a village. Tonight I walked around Dock Street, an area where I've been looking at a flat to buy, just to check it out. It was very homogenous, as in drunks, happy boozers, and the nightclub scene. Club scenea are 'cultural' -- I have no issue with that. The problem is if that's the preponderance of available choices. Hey, the thing I hear visitors ask is, 'where are the used bookstores?' -- They are gone gone gone. The Yorkshire Playhouse is good. Opera North is amazing. No contemporary commercial art galleries. One cinema venue. Franchise bookstores. The acoustics in the town hall are bad, so there goes that site for a respectable major concert hall. Even a magazine store with something other than the generic hoo-haa -- that would be something. How about this? Local magazines about the arts scene -- can you name one? At a certain point Leeds' relentless shopping culture starts to look like a duty free shopping zone.

But, hey, I think the city centre is gorgeous -- the vulgar and dynamic mix of Victorian architecture with '60s buildings, the rounded corners of buildings next to the modern ones so sharp you could cut paper on them. I love the hedonism. And the shopping.... I just want more to choose from, which I think is what a city ought to do.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I stay in liberty park next to the ibis hotel.

Its great living in the city centre but one thing that really bugs me is there are no late food shops. Its so inconvenient. On a sunday you can walk around the city centre and there is nowhere to buy anything.

If people are to live there new businesses need to pop up. Like Co Ops or tesco metros.

I alsothink burley road ill transform into headingley in a few years. Next year there will be about 3000 students living in mid rises along the town centre part of burley road. New businesses will surely take advantage.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
City Council turned down a Tesco Express application for the city centre on the grounds that it would create traffic congestion, with people driving round to 'stop and shop.' That's what I was told, at least......

1 - 20 of 28 Posts