Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know in investing there is the saying 'Sell in May and stay away' as Wall Street and most investment activity, in fact a lot of major finance slows down in the summer months.

Locally, is there a similar slow down in announced projects or projects starting in the summer months here?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I think developments are more cyclical than seasonal. What I mean by that is that once developers finish their current projects and investors begin reeling in the profit from those developments, those developers and investors begin another building cycle.

Another surge of new projects will depend more on where we are in this cycle more than on any particular season. Profits (and avoiding the chance of over-saturating the market with too much building growth) is what all building booms live & die by.

·
Journeyman
16,910 Posts
Not really. There's some savings to digging in the dry weather, with some variability depending on soils etc. But we get starts in all seasons -- sometimes paying a little more for earthwork is worth it to avoid the costs of sitting around for six months and hit the market sooner.

Developers like to watch their workflow, from a staffing, cash flow, and investment availability standpoint. But they'll staff up for a boom, and sometimes go nearly dormant if the market isn't there. Nearly dormant can mean a lot of work to gear up concepts for the next boom of course.

It's definitely cyclical. Thankfully for us contractors, the cycle for apartments is very different (and sometimes opposite) from the cycle for condos, and markets like healthcare, manufacturing, biotech, and education tend to be far different from the more hot-cold nature of office buildings. And sometimes a lack of big projects means more little and mid-sized projects. For example if a manufacturer decides not to build a plant addition, maybe they'll meet some of the same needs through renovations and reconfigurations instead.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
The only seasonality I've noticed is around the holidays. It seems anyone with an annual budget rushes to spend it before the end of the year, and the first few months of the year are slow as new budgets are created and allocated. Of course that only goes for some industries (for instance, I believe Federal budgets end on Oct 1). New construction tends to be less dependent on annual budgets, but it seems to have some effect anyway.

·
Journeyman
16,910 Posts
A lot of major organizations operate on fiscal years for their facility upgrades. Sometimes that means a flurry at the beginning and end of each year, whether that's the calendar year or maybe the summers.

(Sometimes this means mhays has to write a lot of proposals for small projects. Other times a team already onsite gets busier.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts