Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be visiting Buffalo in the coming days. Are there any H&M stores? I assumed there was because Buffalo is such a fashionista-renowned town, yet I have found no info. on the presence of an H&M store? :(

-thryve

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
H and M is not high brow, it is no different than buying your clothes at Target or Kmart. It feels like construction paper, is crazy cheap quality, and should be thrown away after 1 use. You are not missing anything. It is another store like Zara that allows the lower class to have their clothing look a little nicer than the GAP, at prices like Old Navy. (Another store with 1 use clothing.)

It is not true that Buffalo gets everything last, it matters how the store rollout works, most stores start in NYC, move up to Albany and then West that is why it seems that way.

One store that comes to mind is Stein Mart, Buffalo is the only city in upstate NY that has one. All of the 60 year old South Carolina wannabees love the Stein Mart! I love pink, orange and flourescent green clothing! A FL staple.

Also Buffalo is the only city upstate to have Hugo Boss, but it is a franchise, owned by a Sabre, and their American HQ used to be in Cleveland so that store came from the West. Im sure there are others, but I dont care enough to think of them. Most of the new stores coming to the Galleria are firsts, but they are almost all midwestern, so this is the city closest to HQ.

I spoke too soon:

Upscale changes afoot at Pittsford Plaza
Democrat and Chronicle

Rochester, NY - Wilmorite Property Management will invest $15 million to renovate and upgrade Pittsford Plaza, transforming the outdoor strip mall into an upscale lifestyle center.

When the renovations are completed this holiday season, customers will be able to shop at designer discounter Stein Mart and Eastern Mountain Sports; dine at Cheesecake Factory; or peruse the vast wine selection at Century Liquor & Wine, pending state liquor authority approval.

There will also be a street of small shops with specialty boutiques at the site of the former Chase-Pitkin Home & Garden.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
What do you wear, addict?
Varvatos, Jacobs, Zegna, Armani, I practically fund the Galleria Boss, Seven for mankind, Diesel, Canali, and Hickey Freeman.

When Im around the house I bum in DKNY, Ken Cole, Lacoste, Banana, that level of stuff.

If any of these stores opened upstate, it would be nice.

·
Told you so...
4,014 Posts
I like to make fun of Old Navy. I challenge anybody to buy something there that hasn't at one time been on the floor. :lol:

Fashion Bug is crap. There was a guy in Oswego around 1999 who actually made national news by standing outside a shopping plaza protesting them wearing a sandwich board saying something to the effect of "Fashion Bug Sells Crap". Happened after his daughter bought a bra there or something and it broke before she even wore it.

We didn't have a Steinmart in Concord, but there was one in one of the malls towards MA about an hour away, everybody at work was so high on it. Time came that we moved here and saw a few, and my gf was curious to see it and let's say it was a disappointing experience.

Another retail disparity - my gf's parents in SC always talked about how everybody down there (themselves included, unfortunately) thought A.J. Wright was such a great store. I don't know about all the rest of them, but their Southgate location is an emporium of everything white trash.

·
Told you so...
4,014 Posts
I had never heard of AJ Wright until I moved here -- I just thought it was the African American version of TJ Maxx.
I'd never heard of them until I heard her parents talk about it, and then had never seen one until I moved back and voila - there was one in Southgate. I dunno, evidently it has some popularity in SC at least. Lately now they've been airing an ad on the radio with some woman who states "I find all my clothing at AJW" (or something to that effect). Almost as bad as the Steinmart commercials (did I mention the Steinmart disappointment, their employees at that location anyways are complete assholes?).

It's like Big Lots sells clothing. Only with Big Lots, there's actually a chance you'll walk out with something useful at a bargain.

·
Told you so...
4,014 Posts
Hey, the comments brought forth in this thread are pertinent to any city, not just Buffalo.

Perhaps it should be renamed "Northeast Discount Clothing Retailer Bitchfest Thread", you know, so it doesn't scare off the guests.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts