SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
E = MC²
5,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am interested in reading about the heeley bypass and proposed huge roundabout which was planned for the junction of carterknowle road and abbeydale road.
This huge road scheme(s) was/were planned but shelved 30+ years ago. The evidence of this planning exists in the fact that a huge swathe of grass can be seen from the heeley city farm to behind ponsfords where the road was going to go, and all the houses and properties were cleared.

I have also considered that the block which is next to woodseats police station ( crown house ? ) now a carpet shop was built so far back from the road because they were expecting it to be widened. If the police staion was removed, this block would possibly line up with the building line of Tesco.

There was talk on the Sheffield forum of the grand nature of these road plans where there would be dual carriageways and roundabouts in a grand bypass style which would have transformed this part of the city by people who were old enough to remember the presentations. But public opinion was dead against this scheme and eventually heeley city farm was established on part of the cleared land and it helped to get the heeley bypass cancelled.

Another interesting detail I have just recalled was talk of a huge viaduct across the sheaf valley from meerbrook church to abbeydale.

·
E = MC²
5,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Wonderful,
thanks Vertighost

I would like to comment on what a fascinating website that is.
Many interesting schemes I had never heard of and some I have. I have read the whole thing from begginning to end, and am eager to hear more about the tempting next bits.
Especially the M18 extension into sheffield. And further information about the sheffield urban motorways.

It would be nice if it also covered Chesterfield as well, as that city has been transformed with the bypass right through it. I would like to know what happened to the Staveley Bypass. Which still appears as proposed on many maps, and could be the best route for south sheffield to the M1 southbound.

·
E = MC²
5,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thelynxeffect said:
Oh my god ive just looked at that motorway proposal past the city hall!!! and I just physically shivered lol.

scary shit.
Do you realise that was a huge tunnel under the city which went from townhead street roundabout to the charter square roundabout?
I think that would have been fab, although the entrance would have had to be pretty steep on the charter square end or we would have lost a huge amount of buildings.

·
do me bad things
7,550 Posts
muddycoffee said:
...and am eager to hear more about the tempting next bits. Especially the M18 extension into sheffield. And further information about the sheffield urban motorways.
Is this likely to ever happen?

·
Registered
259 Posts
No. Its a site about all the schemes in the 60s and 70s when everyone was going to get a motorway to their front door. They're long dead.

·
E = MC²
5,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Vertighost said:
No. Its a site about all the schemes in the 60s and 70s when everyone was going to get a motorway to their front door. They're long dead.
Yes these schemes are long dead but large parts of them were actually built and are there today but disguised.

How many times have you heard people complaining about the speed limits on Bochum parkway? - that's right it was built with alignments for motorway provision with hard shoulders etc, even hanover way - take a look at the size of the central reservation, guess what, it should have been 3 lanes each way.

Even today many of the large buildings in town have alignments so that huge traffic roundabouts could be built, but they never were. e.g. castle house.

Many of the roads in town had the old buildings cleared from one side so they could be increased to full size dual carriageways with all the trimmings, but it was never completed because they ran out of money in the 70s.
e.g. Bramall lane the west side of the lane is mostly car lots and car parks, because is was prepared to be a huge dual carriageway, only they left the pubs until last. Broad lane, the north side is just a huge pavement where cars park for the same reason, cleared for an extra lane and a huge roundabout.
On furnival street the building which was built later, the Graham's building is quite back from the road because a dual carriageway was to link furnival square with granville square, and a flyover was to take it over the wall which is why the red tape building stops where it does.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Not to mention the Stocksbridge Bypass. Originally meant to be a motorway, then a dual carriageway, ended up just being a death trap. Still has grade seperated junctions though.

·
Registered
691 Posts
On the subject of cancelled road schemes (cue tenuous link) the planned widening of the M1 around Sheffield appears to have been fudged a bit. The dept of transport are now planning a 4 lane "squeezed" m-way between J32 and J39, presumably theres no roon to widen it around sheffield (it also saves £ms++ I read somewhere). The PDF for the M1 can be found here.

·
E = MC²
5,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
God allmighty that looks bloody scarey. So are they only allowing for a tiny hard shoulder and squeezing lanes 3 and 4..

Does anyone remember when they moved the lanes sideways on the M18 to spread the wear out across the surface? Up until now the most stupid money saving road scheme I ever saw in this area.

·
adSheff
232 Posts
as far as i was aware moving the lanes sideways was a standard practice with motorway maintainence to make the surface last longer

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Wonderful,
thanks Vertighost

I would like to comment on what a fascinating website that is.
Many interesting schemes I had never heard of and some I have. I have read the whole thing from begginning to end, and am eager to hear more about the tempting next bits.
Especially the M18 extension into sheffield. And further information about the sheffield urban motorways.

It would be nice if it also covered Chesterfield as well, as that city has been transformed with the bypass right through it. I would like to know what happened to the Staveley Bypass. Which still appears as proposed on many maps, and could be the best route for south sheffield to the M1 southbound.
They started building it (Staveley by pass) Now im told, not been to look yet.
also building J29A to new business park, were that big solar clock /sculpture things going, on old pit site.

South Sheffield to M1 best route is down Dronfield by pass to chesterfield the Hasland by pass to J29, take ages to get Sheff-Staveley- Barlborough then J30

·
E = MC²
5,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm amazed that you say this has started. It seems to have been stalled for at least 16 years. Back in 1991, I worked close to the path of it on Works road staveley, and there were enormous earth moving machines on the path of the bypass which looked like thay have been left there for some time as if the project had been abruptly cancelled.
My 1991 AtoZ still shows the path of the proposed route but more recent maps have not shown it..

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I'm amazed that you say this has started. It seems to have been stalled for at least 16 years. Back in 1991, I worked close to the path of it on Works road staveley, and there were enormous earth moving machines on the path of the bypass which looked like thay have been left there for some time as if the project had been abruptly cancelled.
My 1991 AtoZ still shows the path of the proposed route but more recent maps have not shown it..
If it was the yard on the lhs over the canal coming from the works then it was Fitzwise's Workshops. They where a small opencast contractor/reclemation firm. All the area to the RHS round the back of Brimington to Newbridgh lane was open cast then the canal put back.
No Board up on the works But Its a McAlpines Site, situated between Hall lane and Eckington rd, and the Goods line.
Bolsover council development plan talk about it, but not found any thing on Highways agency, just J29a and the widening of M1 from J2x to J30.
Photos to Follow.

·
E = MC²
5,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Fantastic Bulldozer.
I used to work in Stavely Workshops, now called "the clocktower centre" which is an old steel industry headquarters building in front of the Chemical works entrance. There was a similar building closer to the canal which was nearby the place I was talking about.

I am at home now having a beer and I have my AtoZ atlas from 2002 and there is no trace of the proposed brimington/staveley bypass.
Whereas my older 1991 AtoZ at work has the whole thing between the rotherway roundabout next to the superstore heading off the edge of the map towards junction 30. It seems that this route has been on and off for some time perhaps.
I will look for a new map to see if the new route is any different to the one from 16 years ago.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Photos of works to Staveley bypass
Looking from Rail overbridge on Eckington rd towards Bolsover. Sewer diversion being pipe jacked to right , under Road

Looking to rhs of Eckington rd towards Staveley Chemicals. To Rhs of pic. is railway round to barrow hill and works.
To Lhs is reception pit for sewer diversion. Centre of Pic. is section of canal.

Close up of works, top soil striped, terram layer (white), with road base being laid on top by a D5 dozer. Convoy of lorries delivering stone.

Not visible is that part of the chemical works appears to be being demolished.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts