SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Contents Under Pressure
9,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a Miami native (now living in Philadelphia) who has only posted here once, but I love the format.

You guys keep me both entertained AND informed about development down there, and it's most appreciated.

My question is this, though:

With the FAA seemingly having a stranglehold on building height (including knocking down a lot of current projects) is there any chance of Miami erecting something TRULY tall---something approaching 1000-feet---or will any such proposal get squeezed down to "sorta big" sized?

Yes, I know a lot is going on down there---and yes, I'm avidly following the progress of a new skyline from Midtown down to the Rickenbacker Causeway.

But I want one or two SIGNATURE buildings...very tall office towers that announce Miami, y'know?

(and don't even bother with "Empire World Towers"...does ANYBODY take that seriously? C'mon..)

So is there anything REALLY tall happening? Something at least 150-feet bigger than Met 3? Or does the FAA just cut it all down?

If that's the case, then a LOT of skylines are gonna have more happening...even places like New Delhi (let alone Philly) and that's a shame.

Without at least SOME variance, Miami won't have a single building higher than the tallest in Cleveland.

Blecch.

I want something more like Chicago on Biscayne Bay...along with REAL transit, REAL mixed-use development, and REAL towers

(not those hideous "One Miami" embarrasments that a few people are making excuses for...God, they're UGLY and SMALL)

Anyway, I digress. Back to the question:

I love Miami and I WANT Miami to have one of the biggest, tallest skylines in the USA.

Can it happen, or is it just destined to be Mexico City with a few more balconies and an ocean-view?

·
Registered
341 Posts
hey spellbound theres a proposed 900' tower for 600 brickell site but they arent even thinking of construction til 2011. and whats w/the philly miami connection i know 5 people who headed north and i myself will be doing it this fall.

·
Registered
950 Posts
After an hour of fiddling around with Microsoft Paint, and a little help from Google Earth and emporis, I finished this really crappy yet descriptive rendering. I found that it is almost impossible to make a good rendering of the skyline because all of the individual renderings of buildings are from different angles. These are all of the buildings that I know of that have been proposed or approved with their highest possible height. Some of them will probably be shorter and some of them may not happen at all, but then again many new projects will come up too.

·
I know right . . . !
237 Posts
I think I can make-out that Flatiron; but is the one that is slightly obstructing the view 1101? I think that somebody more educated with the streets of Miami should maybe make an overhead map, maybe satalite, showing where the new projects may be. If anybody has any spare time and would like to give it a shot I would offer much thanks. I'm sure it will clear this boom up for a lot of us. Thanks; and good future outline.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Miami as in Perfect said:
I think I can make-out that Flatiron; but is the one that is slightly obstructing the view 1101? I think that somebody more educated with the streets of Miami should maybe make an overhead map, maybe satalite, showing where the new projects may be. If anybody has any spare time and would like to give it a shot I would offer much thanks. I'm sure it will clear this boom up for a lot of us. Thanks; and good future outline.

·
Contents Under Pressure
9,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
archifreese said:
hey spellbound theres a proposed 900' tower for 600 brickell site but they arent even thinking of construction til 2011. and whats w/the philly miami connection i know 5 people who headed north and i myself will be doing it this fall.
Thanks for the reply.

I get so frustrated reading about the draconian FAA decisions regarding height down there. It seems entirely possible that Miami will emerge from this current boom with a dramatically altered skyline, but perhaps WITHOUT the one or two supertalls (which to me means something close to 1000-ft. or above) which could be genuinely defining icons. It just seems like the FAA/MIA powers that be will preclude it from happening...despite the proposals.

I wish more of the condo towers were better designed, too. Does anyone else here think Ten Museum Park (for one example) is shaping up as something less than exciting? Some of those residential towers look more suited for Aventura or Boca Raton than a downtown core, y'know?

Funny you mention the Philly/Miami connection. I didn't expect to meet many South Florida transplants here but it's turned out to be quite the opposite. There's PLENTY of us around these parts.

Miami will always be home, but I've grown to love Philadelphia too. It's obviously a jewel for any architecture buff, and easily the most affordable of the big Northeast cities.

Besides, I was always one of the "misfits" down there who wasn't a big fan of the climate. I like having seasons.

Anyway, thanks again...and thanks to everybody here for making this a great, informative board. Looking forward to participating a little more.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I've just about given up hope of ever seeing a thousand-footer downtown... but who knows... maybe some future Dadeland-area tower might become the area's new crown jewel. As far as I know, Dadeland is NOWHERE near any of MIA's flight paths and metaphorically "off the FAA's radar".

God forbid, maybe a 100+ story building might become the centerpiece of "Downtown Perrine", towering above a future Metrorail station at the Falls (it seems almost assured that MDTA will eventually extend Metrorail south to at least the Falls, if not all the way to Cutler Ridge or even Homestead). Now, build an elevated 4-lane mini-freeway with exhorbitantly-expensive tolls adjacent to and above US-1 in the ROW above the existing Busway (one column supporting 2 lanes straddling each side of the busway) with new Metrorail track suspended between the columns below the freeway that starts where the current Palmetto ends, continues south to the Falls (with massive interchange serving the mall, sw 136th street area, and skyscraper parking garages), then turns west, dips down, and runs in a trench through the FPL utility corridor south of the Falls before ending at another huge interchange with the Turnpike and 874's southern end. In fact, it might techically even be an extension of 874, built by MDX.

(runs from the onslaught of bottles, rotten tomatoes, and molotov cocktails hurled due to suggestion of building skyscrapers far from downtown AND building a major new freeway to serve it) :runaway:

·
Registered
456 Posts
I think the best chance for a 1000 footer will be if they bulldoze the short building right next to Wachovia. That's prime real estate and if there's going to be a 1000 footer anywhere in Miami that the FAA will have a hard time objecting to, it'll be there. I do believe this parcel is within the 950 feet height limit from the early 1980's.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
well now that you bring up wachovia,logy, last night i got invited to a great party at the miami city club, on the 55floor of the wachovia building. All i have to say is what an incredible view, I could see pro player stadium from there. It was incredible, Wachovia is really aging well it still looks brand new, I've been inside Espirito santo, and i think wachovia has a better interior.

Reactions: ChuckScraperMiami#1

·
Registered
291 Posts
Of course it's aging well. It's Miami trophy tower. The tower is worth $300,000,000+ and when built it cost a staggering $180,000,000. The BOA tower is also a close rival, although age is starting to show. In my mind, it just doesn't look as bright as night as it once did.

·
Registered
8,783 Posts
^^WOW ! :eek:hno:, Marcvader:banana: is going to kill me for bringing this over 10 Years Thread back alive
A Thread Here was Big then , over 10 Years ago by Spellbound :), when he wanted " VERTICUS " Built as a 1,000 Feet from Ground level ,
Just Build ONE , Please before I Die :lol:, Yes ,Spellbound wants ONE Brickell CityCentre To Start a Year from Now, we'll Only GOD Knows , the Race is On IMO Only:nuts:, If any SUPER Tall Gets Built in Miami , It's either ONE Brickell CityCentre or 330 Biscayne Tower also Approved by the FAA and The Magic City Of Moon Over Miami Cranes Commissioners , and Both at 1,049 Feet From SEA LEVEL, IMO Only , 330 Biscayne Could be Taller, it's only 4 Feet there above Sea level to the Ground in that Area, 5 Feet where One Brickell CityCentre is , so 330 Could Be Taller IMO Only, Please , we should know for sure by MID Summer or Late Fall Of next Year, 2017 For sure !!:cheers:

After an hour of fiddling around with Microsoft Paint, and a little help from Google Earth and emporis, I finished this really crappy yet descriptive rendering. I found that it is almost impossible to make a good rendering of the skyline because all of the individual renderings of buildings are from different angles. These are all of the buildings that I know of that have been proposed or approved with their highest possible height. Some of them will probably be shorter and some of them may not happen at all, but then again many new projects will come up too.

·
Banned
498 Posts
^^WOW ! :eek:hno:, Marcvader:banana: is going to kill me for bringing this over 10 Years Thread back alive
A Thread Here was Big then , over 10 Years ago by Spellbound :), when he wanted " VERTICUS " Built as a 1,000 Feet from Ground level ,
Just Build ONE , Please before I Die :lol:, Yes ,Spellbound wants ONE Brickell CityCentre To Start a Year from Now, we'll Only GOD Knows , the Race is On IMO Only:nuts:, If any SUPER Tall Gets Built in Miami , It's either ONE Brickell CityCentre or 330 Biscayne Tower also Approved by the FAA and The Magic City Of Moon Over Miami Cranes Commissioners , and Both at 1,049 Feet From SEA LEVEL, IMO Only , 330 Biscayne Could be Taller, it's only 4 Feet there above Sea level to the Ground in that Area, 5 Feet where One Brickell CityCentre is , so 330 Could Be Taller IMO Only, Please , we should know for sure by MID Summer or Late Fall Of next Year, 2017 For sure !!:cheers:
I was beginning to think it was odd that he mentioned only posting once before, I didn't bother to look at the date!

Right now the question could be answered though this way, 10 years later, ....

Panorama Tower will be 132 feet shy of 1000 feet. So that does possibly fit the old question of "or close to it".

1 - 19 of 19 Posts