SkyscraperCity banner

121 - 139 of 139 Posts

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
Off my front porch in the other direction (looking away from the Woodland Hills view):
This is insanely beautiful! Is this in Sylmar as well? That would mean that it is within LA city limits.

·
Banned
675 Posts
Amazing.
That question (San Fernando Valley x Los Angeles) is the same here btw Barra da Tijuca x Rio de Janeiro.

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts

The Valley's only hope!

·
Registered
56 Posts
We should secede. Being #3 isn't bad, I think even if we seceded, our population would eventually overtake Chicago's anyway. When I pass through Porter Ranch and those areas (especially the west valley), I can't believe it's still the city of LA. Let them govern themselves, they'll have a vast network of orange line type buses, while we can vote to build a subway system! And I hope we don't incorporate Vernon, a city with 100 residents.

Here's a stat from a thread about a year ago:

If the Valley were to secede, LA's population would be 2,527,327 with a density of 10,417 per sq mi. And according to Wiki, Chi-town's population is

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
Yeah we would almost immediately over take Chicago with its current rate of losing 200,000 residents in the past 10 years. The Valley or its new name The Walls Of Anus would clock in at #4 or 5. SECEDE!!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
How the hell is Chicago losing that much!? Are towns seceding from them? I never considered them part of the rust belt but maybe I'm wrong.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Chicago was losing population, with employers moving to the suburbs, but that is starting to reverse now. Companies are starting to move back to the city so there population should start going up.

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think the Valley's strength lies in it its diversity. Alot of people have really outdated views of it, thinking it's like Leave it To Beaver or the Brady Bunch but it's not so different from the Basin in regards to it's well integrated ethnic working class neighborhoods. Since most of the architecture was built in the 1950s and 60s and was built cheaply and quickly, the lack of variety probably dissuades people from looking closer at what is actually within the buildings.

check out this blog entry about a walk along Sherman Way in Reseda.

http://mapofsmog.blogspot.com/2011/11/exploring-space-with-your-eyes-openand.html

·
Registered
426 Posts
I think anybody who wants the valley to leave LA is crazy. There is a lot of revenue coming from the valley into city coffers.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I agree. I don't think there's a possible secession for the valley, because the city of Los Angeles has recently installed their cell phone tower street light poles in some parts of the valley. LADWP has put up more metal power poles in some parts of the valley. Also, urban development in the San Fernando Valley will officially begin in 2017, starting with North Hollywood and Panorama City.

With that stuff happening, I don't think the San Fernando Valley will ever secede in the future.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I'm not.

The area is becoming just as pricey to live in as the rest of the city, so it's understandable if development slows down.

Plus, there's so much in development taking up the headlines between downtown, k-town, Hollywood, and the ports... People are gonna skim over all the articles about 4-7 story developments elsewhere, unless it's TOD or transit itself.

121 - 139 of 139 Posts