Skyscraper City Forum banner

Is there Islamic Architecture

1 - 20 of 365 Posts

·
Persian King of Kings
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Islam is the name of a religion and Muslims from Indonesia to Morocco are followers of this religion, after the conquest of Persia, most of Zoroastrian domed fire-temples were converted to mosques and they became the prototype of early Islamic mosques, also Zoroastrian fire-towers which are called Minaret in Arabic, from the root نار (Nar) "fire", were also used as Islamic buildings. You can see Mihrab, the Persian name of Mithraeum, in the mosques too. Other types of mosques, like the ones in Istanbul, were also adopted from the architecture of other peoples, so I believe there is no Islamic architecture, what do you think?

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
If i follow your reasoning, there is no "type" of architecture at all - simply because every form of architecture has some elements borrowed from the one or the other. That said, in my opinion there IS islamic architecture, not inspired by religion but inspired by the combination of culture AND religion - its a form of architectural expression which differs per Islamic region.

·
Banned
45 Posts
Islam is the name of a religion and Muslims from Indonesia to Morocco are followers of this religion, after the conquest of Persia, most of Zoroastrian domed fire-temples were converted to mosques and they became the prototype of early Islamic mosques, also Zoroastrian fire-towers which are called Minaret in Arabic, from the root نار (Nar) "fire", were also used as Islamic buildings. You can see Mihrab, the Persian name of Mithraeum, in the mosques too. Other types of mosques, like the ones in Istanbul, were also adopted from the architecture of other peoples, so I believe there is no Islamic architecture, what do you think?
You are absolutely right about this, Curys. Islamic buildings are adopted from the architecture of many other people and cultures. Most famous (IMO) is the Hagia Sofia with its massive dome, which is considered the epitome of Byzantine architecture.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
You are absolutely right about this, Curys. Islamic buildings are adopted from the architecture of many other people and cultures. Most famous (IMO) is the Hagia Sofia with its massive dome, which is considered the epitome of Byzantine architecture.
I can name quite a few thousands of iconic buildings which have been build under Islamic rule, ergo which have not been "adopted".

Then again, these kind of topics tend to pop-up during these days when anti-islamism is abundant. One of the best examples of typical Islamic architecture = Moorish architecture, which is completely different from architecture in Persia or Turkey and had its influence in all parts of the world.

·
Persian King of Kings
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If i follow your reasoning, there is no "type" of architecture at all - simply because every form of architecture has some elements borrowed from the one or the other. That said, in my opinion there IS islamic architecture, not inspired by religion but inspired by the combination of culture AND religion - its a form of architectural expression which differs per Islamic region.
It can be said that a mosque is an Islamic building but I'm interested to know how you define other buildings to be Islamic or not?! For example what is an Islamic castle? or an Islamic palace? Can a church be built in Islamic style of architecture?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I can name quite a few thousands of iconic buildings which have been build under Islamic rule, ergo which have not been "adopted".

Then again, these kind of topics tend to pop-up during these days when anti-islamism is abundant. One of the best examples of typical Islamic architecture = Moorish architecture, which is completely different from architecture in Persia or Turkey and had its influence in all parts of the world.
^^ Right ,for example:

Hagia Sofia in turkey:

Hassan 2 mosque in morocco :

No resemblance

·
Persian King of Kings
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hassan II Mosque in Morocco was designed by the French architect Michel Pinseau: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hassan_II_Mosque the man who designed several other buildings in other regions of the world, especially in Paris, maybe you think those are all Islamic buildings?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Haga Sofia was a Christian church built by emperor Constantin by the time when it became the religion of the roman empire, then later it was converted into a muslimic temple. Non the less, it's an interesting example of historic architecture related to religion and how it have changed throughout the time.

·
Banned
48 Posts
Muslim people conquer other lands and steal their architecture and call it "Islamic". Sorry but true.

Maybe Islamic people improve that architecture but nothing unique about "Islamic". Arch and dome invented by other non-Islamic civilization.

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
there is islamic architecture..the main charecter is geometric pattern..there many type in islamic architecture-such mogul,persian,indochina..
modern islamic architecture

contemporary islamic architecture

old islamic architecture

in skyscraper

·
Awesome User
3,290 Posts
Muslim people conquer other lands and steal their architecture and call it "Islamic". Sorry but true.

Maybe Islamic people improve that architecture but nothing unique about "Islamic". Arch and dome invented by other non-Islamic civilization.
So all of the contemporary architecture styles were stolen from the ancient Romans - Persians - Indians. Archs and domes invented by believers of pagan gods. In other words, Abrahamic religions did invent nothing about architecture therefor it's very silly to associate architecture with religion.

·
Banned
1,020 Posts
Skyscraper is western invention. Not Islamic. Taj Mahal is Indo-Persian. Malaysia use western technique but call it Islamic.
where did you learn architecture, my friend?

Skyscraper is American invention to be precise.

Taj Mahal is indeed Indo-Persian.

what make things 'Islamic' is….the philosophy in designing the architecture. then it becomes Islamic Architecture.

do you understand?

·
Persian King of Kings
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It seems some people believe Islamic architecture refers to everything which has been built in the Islamic countries whether by Muslims or non-Muslims & everything which has been built by Muslims whether in the Islamic or non-Islamic countries!!

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
yup..i see,skyscraper is invent by western..architecture is not a type of building..its the style of building,islamic is a large scale of achitecture.its large and cover most of the globe,so all the influance is mixed like moghul,persian,morrocon,spain..

·
Banned
1,020 Posts
and there are so many architectural elements born during the Islamic Civilization since 6th century ago. so Taj Mahal is part of the Islamic Architecture.

Ancient Persian (remember Xerxes?) with Muslim Persian has many differences…..

please take note.

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
Taj Mahal borrow from many places - Pietra-Dura inlay from Italy, Dome from Persia, Carving, aesthetic plan and proportion from India....etc.

Purpose is Islamic tomb, but many different borrowings.
in long time ago islam religion was spread around he world including persian,rome,nusantara,indian,spain..
in architecture term,its call infuence...its not steal or borrowed..and once again islamic achitecture is exist

1 - 20 of 365 Posts