Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

wiggledypiggleypuddinghed
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Its very easy to get swept up by talk of massive construction and highrise booms in all our regional cities, particularly Manchester & Birmingham, and to a slightly lesser extent Liverpool and Leeds. But is it all hype?

A look at recently completed and under construction highrises (+80m) in all our core cities shows not many talls have really been built. Yes there's lots approved or proposed, but some of that has been in that state of limbo for years and years, and so are prehaps not the best indicators to show as a measure for highrise construction boom.

Code:
Talls over 80m built since 2000, or UC now
==========================================

Manchester (2)
--------------
Beetham 157m complete
civil justice centre 80m complete

Birmingham (4)
--------------
holloway circus 122m complete
orion 90m complete
snowhill 1 137m uc
snowhill 2 82m uc

Liverpool (4)
-------------
beetham west 134m complete
beetham tower 90m complete
alexandra 88m uc
unity 86 complete

Leeds (6)
---------
bridgewater place 110m complete
lumiere 1 171m uc
lumiere 2 112m uc
the plaza 103m uc
greenbank 100m uc
opal 82m uc
gateway 80m uc

Registered
80m is a rather arbitrary figure really. 23m+ is generally considered to be a highrise building, with 150m being a skyscraper. If you double the minimum height (lets call it 50m), the number built since 2000 or under construction now are as follows:

Manchester = 26
Birmingham = 11
Liverpool = 7
Leeds = 5
Glasgow = 5

Note, these numbers don't include Lumiere, Snowhill, Chapel Wharf, Canopus, etc. where ground prep work is underway.

Discussion Starter · #5 ·
irwell once again specifically using a benchmark to show manchester at its possibe best.

By highrise I mean the big talls! - since this is skyscrapercity. Yes we dont have proper skyscrapers in our cities but 80m and above are considered tall!

Discussion Starter · #6 ·
and your figure of 5 for Leeds is wrong. Just bringing it down to only 60m (not 50m) gives 13 for Leeds. 50m would add a *lot* more.

bridgewater place 32 floors 110m reicently built
West Point 17 floors 65m reicently built
Lumiere Tower 1 54 floors 171m under construction
Lumiere Tower 2 32 floors 112m under construction
the plaza 37 floors 103m under construction
greenbank 33 floors 100m under construction
opal tower 26 floors 82m under construction
gateway 26 floors 80m under construction
granary wharf 22 floors 69m under construction
Clarance House 20 floors 66m under construction
City Island phase 2 20 floors 60m under construction
1 St Peter's Square 16 floors 60m under construction
Saxton Gardens 15 floors 60m under construction

Registered
As I said, buildings that are undergoing site clearance or prep work do not count as they are not actually under construction, which is why Leeds only was listed as 5. That list was per skyscraperpage. There are a number of towers in that category in Manchester too. Chapel Wharf and Canopus are currently at the same stage as Lumiere and Snowhill.

Banned
80m is a rather arbitrary figure really. 23m+ is generally considered to be a highrise building, with 150m being a skyscraper.
But these figures are no less arbitrary

Just because the international consensus is that 150m is a proper 'scraper, by provincial England's standards, it isn't

When this building boom busts, or when our office and resi markets are saturated, how many significant towers will we have raised? If the arse falls out of it all tomorrow, not many

Discussion Starter · #9 ·
But these figures are no less arbitrary
Irwell has chosen 50m because it includes the most possible buildings that the bulk of manchester's new builds have been lol. If you drop down to 50m, Leeds has a number closer to that of mancs, because the bulk of Leeds' builds have been around 40-55m. That said, we're looking at talls here (ie buildings that have a siginicant impact on the skyline, ie our regional skyscraper equivilents, 80m+, so 50m builds aint really been included.

When this building boom busts, or when our office and resi markets are saturated, how many significant towers will we have raised? If the arse falls out of it all tomorrow, not many
exactly. I personally beleive much of the stuff that doesnt have construction start within a year of now will not come to frutition, given the slowing economy and higher interest rates, that make lending millions quite unfavourable, and the moneymakers who develop these talls turn to other sources of profits.

It's also quite surprising, that, its the smaller cities, liverpool and leeds that come out tops, and im quite shocked manchester has only had 2 talls over 80m, and none under construction. Yet before looking at the facts I always assumed manchester would be the city on top here.

Futurist
London

Just for comparative purposes - London has work starting on 7 skyscrapers at the moment, with another 5 starting next year. That's if you define a skyscraper as 150m.

A couple of years back I wouldn't have agreed there was a highrise boom; everything was just talk and proposals. But now it's clear everything's kicking off. Most towers have either secured tenants or are being built speculatively now. Compare the situation back in 2000 when London had just 2 skyscrapers (1 Canada Square and Tower 42).

Registered
And if we're talking 'midrises' then I count 17 for London either starting construction or undergoing demolition/site preparation, with many more starting next year. I define a midrise as 50-149m.
50m-149m is what I'd consider too (though I'd call it highrise), but apparently in doing so it's some kind of pro-Manchester bias. :nuts:

Registered Abuser
50m-149m is what I'd consider too (though I'd call it highrise), but apparently in doing so it's some kind of pro-Manchester bias. :nuts:
Well 50m might be enough to make you think a building is high rise from ground level, but I don't think it's enough to make any difference to a skyline in our core cities. That's why I chose 80m in the other thread. You could maybe go to 70m, since the city lofts building is something around 75m in Liverpool, and it does make a clear difference to the skyline, but that's down to location on the waterfront. If you put a 70m tower in the middle of a big city, I doubt it would effect the skyline, and a 50m tower deffinitely wouldn't.

Registered
and your figure of 5 for Leeds is wrong. Just bringing it down to only 60m (not 50m) gives 13 for Leeds. 50m would add a *lot* more.

bridgewater place 32 floors 110m reicently built
West Point 17 floors 65m reicently built
Lumiere Tower 1 54 floors 171m under construction
Lumiere Tower 2 32 floors 112m under construction
the plaza 37 floors 103m under construction
greenbank 33 floors 100m under construction
opal tower 26 floors 82m under construction
gateway 26 floors 80m under construction
granary wharf 22 floors 69m under construction
Clarance House 20 floors 66m under construction
City Island phase 2 20 floors 60m under construction
1 St Peter's Square 16 floors 60m under construction
Saxton Gardens 15 floors 60m under construction
I think you answered your own question! (though it does all depend on the definition of high rise)

Registered
irwell once again specifically using a benchmark to show manchester at its possibe best.

By highrise I mean the big talls! - since this is skyscrapercity. Yes we dont have proper skyscrapers in our cities but 80m and above are considered tall!
Wiggleytroll, you trying to tell me you didn't set the 80m mark to show Leeds at its best?!?!?

Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No hamertroll. I used 80m because a quite a few of you have used that figure when describing high-rises..infact some in this thread - who are now arguing the opposite lol.

Use 90m if you want, or 70m - but come on less than that is a bit small.

Mancunian Member
By the Autumn/Winter, Manchester will have u/c 80m+ (if things go to plan)

188m Piccadilly Tower
164m Canopus Tower 1
125m Chapel Wharf
116m Gravity Tower
110m Canopus tower 2
89m Sharp Street Tower
85m Adelphi Street Alsop Tower
85m Manyoo Tower 1 (SQ)
85m Manyoo Tower 2 (SQ)
85m Manyoo Tower 3 (SQ)
85m Manyoo Tower 4 (SQ)
82m Media City Building A (SQ)
82m Fresh Tower

Don't forget the 160m+ Crown Tower that we're still waiting on, but i won't include in the list! So that's 2, maybe 3 'proper' skyscrapers, to add to our already existing 1 (that's 150m+ to be pedantic!). Anyway, it's all talk at the mo, so lets see how many are u/c when winter comes around!

Registered
Where can I find out about Manyoo Towers Chogmook? Is it under the Media City thread or Salford Quays project thread in your forum? Cheers.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.