SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Yonge and Eglinton-Midtwn
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the rapid growth of TOronto's buildings at the moment. With so many buildings going up in the coming years, it appears Toronto is growing faster than it has in recent memory. Are we the fastest growing major city in North America yet? And I know its a long shot, but aside from perhaps Hong Kong, Shanghai, and some of those other Asian cities, are we the fastest growing in the world?

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

karizzzzz

·
Registered
297 Posts
We are DEFINATELY NOT the fastest growing in the world even aside from the cities you mentioned. DUBAI is SURELY the fastest growing. They have like 20-25 buildings above 200 m on the way, including the World's tallest Burj Dubai, and another proposed that is even taller than that, The pinnacle.

Unfortunately, we cannot compete with this city because it is the richest city per capita in the world and is in a rich oil nation.

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
In terms of highrise buildings, I would say it's #1 in NA. In the world...not #1, but up there for sure.

KGB

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Toronto is doing well in the skyscraper race but definetly not number one.

I don't know as I would count Dubai though, that whole situation is not driven by the need to have scrapers but just the ego of having them unlike the large Chinese cities, Sao Paulo and places like Toronto.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Booyashako said:
I heard Toronto's ahead of Pheonix and behind Las Vegas. 2nd maybe?
In terms of highrise buildings, I agree with KGB in that TO would probably be #1 in N.A. In terms of all buildings including midrise and lowrise, I think Vegas does take the cake, but then again, are we talking city proper or metro? I think TO could compete with Vegas for all building types within a metro area.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
In Vegas the population growth is faster proportionally, but skyline?! Aside from wall-to-wall kitsch, it doesn't have a skyline.

·
Registered
5,638 Posts
I agree...Toronto #1 in N.A. but not even close to #1 in the world, although it can still say its one of the fastest in the world. It certainly the fastest in the western world.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Mechie said:
Unfortunately, we cannot compete with this city because it is the richest city per capita in the world and is in a rich oil nation.
umm i really dont think dubai is the richest city per capita in the world.

also the reason why dubai is growing fast is that it was a small city, with LOTS of room for growth. a lot of other established cities like toronto were already large and somewhat saturated, thereby allowing for less growth than places like dubai. once dubai completes its building boom, it will slow down much like other cities. shanghai's phenomenal growth is the result of massive industrialization in china as a whole. in the same sense as dubai, china had LOTS of room for growth.

as someone else stated, dubai is building for ego, yes, but there certainly is demand for these units. who in their right mind would build a 700m+ tower as well as hundreds of other towers only to have them remain empty? i would liken dubai's growth today to that of the 1920s boom in NY. except the stimulus for growth in dubai is the services and tourism industry.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
i read somewhere a while ago that from around 1990-2000, the population of toronto proper (not GTA) grew from roughly 600,000 to 2,000,000.

is this true? could someone please verify or correct me?

if this is true, could toronto be the fastest growing city in terms of population?

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
^No, that isn't true but what did happen was a forced ammalgamation of the former boroughs into one city. The old city of Toronto was about 650,000-700,000 people but was part of a larger two tiered city system.

Some one will be around to explain it better.

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
"i read somewhere a while ago that from around 1990-2000, the population of toronto proper (not GTA) grew from roughly 600,000 to 2,000,000."

The "GTA" is comprised of the 416 and the 905. The 416 area is what used to be the city borough system since 1953, but then the borough system was dropped in 1998, and now it's just Toronto....think NYC deciding to drop it's borough system.

Anyway, in 1986, the population of the "city", or 416 was 2,192,721. In 1991 it was 2,275,771. In 1996 it was 2,385,421. And in 2001 it was 2,481,494.

This is an actual increase of 288,773.

The 905 increased it's population by 1,059,968 during the same period.

KGB

·
天豆
9,950 Posts
Just in terms of highrise buildings....

High-rise Building Statistics for New York City

5,445 completed
45 proposed
21 approved
80 under construction

High-rise Building Statistics for Toronto

1,612 completed
125 proposed
103 approved
55 under construction

No.1 in North America? I'm not so sure. These are emporis' numbers -- if they are accurate then we would be no.2.

Chicago.. just for fun.
High-rise Building Statistics for Chicago

1,040 completed
68 proposed
33 approved
29 under construction

In terms of the world... even Dubai is no match for Hong Kong.

High-rise Building Statistics for Hong Kong

7,422 completed
240 under construction

I know the Emporis numbers for Sao Paulo are iffy but for what it's worth...

High-rise Building Statistics for Sao Paulo
597 under construction

^Sao Paulo is building the equivalent of all buildings in Vancouver

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Nonetheless, a very acceptable showing from a backwater Canuck city, no?

·
Registered
297 Posts
umm i really dont think dubai is the richest city per capita in the world.

y not?
If saudi arabia can be the richest COUNTRY per capita in the world, dubai could certainly be the richest city.

and it doesnt matter about egos or not. fact is...dubai is leading the world in skyscraper construction. like it or not.

·
天豆
9,950 Posts
Mechie said:
and it doesnt matter about egos or not. fact is...dubai is leading the world in skyscraper construction. like it or not.
Dubai doesn't lead the world. Many of the past proposals have been cancelled. Hong Kong has more under construction and lots of talls as well. (Read: Union Square Phase 7 -- 490m)

·
Banned
259 Posts
Skybean said:
Dubai doesn't lead the world. Many of the past proposals have been cancelled. Hong Kong has more under construction and lots of talls as well. (Read: Union Square Phase 7 -- 490m)
you idiot get ur facts right, non of the majors projects have been cancelled: dubai is a in a construction frenzy right know, and there is no other city like currently in the world. just look at these pics: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=203571&page=1&pp=20

·
Banned
259 Posts
and perhaps dubai is not the richest per-capita, but dubai has a population of 1.5 million, and most likely dubai is the richest per capita for that size of a population.

·
天豆
9,950 Posts
Raza said:
you idiot get ur facts right, non of the majors projects have been cancelled: dubai is a in a construction frenzy right know, and there is no other city like currently in the world. just look at these pics: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=203571&page=1&pp=20
Wow. An idiot already.. quality. Maybe YOU should get your facts straight. Statistics don't lie. Another poster high on Dubai... go visit Hong Kong... it puts Dubai to shame.

Dubai

Focking Perth gives Dubai a run for its money.

Hong Kong

To Raza from Toronto: The World's Tallest Freestanding Middle Finger

1 - 20 of 54 Posts