Skyscraper City Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
samy316
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first thread, so I just wanted to say hello to everyone. The first question I have for everyone here is what do you all think of our nation's capital? Is it a world class city? I have lived in the DC area for the majority of my life, so I just wanted to ask for opinions on this issue. I see that someone made a thread about the same issue on Chicago, and I just wanted to see if this was the case for Washington D.C. as well. Is it up their with the London's, Paris', NYC's, LA's, and Chicago's of the world? If not, then why so? The more responses, the better.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Depends on your definition of 'world-class', such is the term.

Washington D.C. has the power, has the infrastructure and all the basic things a large city requires, but it lacks the financial clout of the big guns.

Most companies don't position/relocate their regional or world headquarters in Washington D.C. - that is the major attraction of the big guns despite the ridiculously high prices they pay for land and rent.

·
Registered
282 Posts
It also lacks population, to a certain extent. The most generous estimates of the Washington DC metro area include Baltimore and northern Virginia, and include a bit more than 8.2 million people. "World cities" usually have at least 10 million people in their metro areas. There are examples of smaller world cities, but they usually come from unique circumstances, like Hong Kong.

DC is more of a legal and political center than a business center.

·
"Hands of Stone"
3,633 Posts
In my view, only one criterion is necessary to make "DC" an elite world class city: It is the capital of the most powerful nation on earth! Not even George Bush can screw that up. Conventional criteria need not aply here.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
You know how sometimes in Airports, Train Stations or expensive stores, they'll have all those clocks set to times from around the world? There are always certain cities that are always represented, and Washington D.C. isn't among the top tier of these places.

Other than that, you can basically use any definition of 'world class' that you want, although I guess the best way to put it is... for a lot of visitors to the US from outside the US, Washington D.C. really is a 2nd tier destination, just as for most businesses opening up a 'flagship store' or 'world/regional headquarters' there is really second tier.

·
Registered
222 Posts
You know how sometimes in Airports, Train Stations or expensive stores, they'll have all those clocks set to times from around the world? There are always certain cities that are always represented, and Washington D.C. isn't among the top tier of these places

That's probably only because New York is in the same time zone. It's a given that New York will have its own clock, so why post two clocks from the same time zone?

That's not really a good way to measure how "world class" a city is. I think that D.C. is a cosmopolitan city. Sure it has its problems with crime and poverty but overall it seems to have a lot of intelligent, well-educated, successful people, many of them working for the government, many of them who do not and simply work for something related to the gov't (a political organization, a think tank, etc).

But hey, what do I know. I guess i'm just a country boy from Alabama, lol.

·
Banned
192 Posts
Washington will be a city of the world class.
But the position is lower than Tokyo.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
The democracy is the worst political system.

But there is not the political system that is better than it.

The communists slaughtered 120 million people.

·
"Hands of Stone"
3,633 Posts
my aunt lives near DC, and she says that she wouldnt dare walk the streets alone at night...
  1. Individual fear - in and of itself - is not a reflection of danger.
  2. One could say the same of New York City, which is a world class city.
  3. What has crime to do with the world class status of a city? Hell, one could get mugged in Paris!

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
That's probably only because New York is in the same time zone. It's a given that New York will have its own clock, so why post two clocks from the same time zone?
I was kind of joking :p But Washington, while important as a city (just as Brussels is important politically) isn't what people generally consider a world class city.

·
Registered
9,408 Posts
Political power alone does not make a world class city... It is important yes, but if it was THAT improtant then New York wouldn't be one of the worlds leading cities. The 4 world cities are London, New York, Paris, and Tokyo. I expect Washington would be a 'Gamma' world city?

The truth is, it seems money and finance is, and will be for the foreseeable future, the most important thing in the world, even more so than political power. The financial importance of those 4 cities I mention is trully vast, they are a very big part of what keeps the world going.

I do agree that politics is important, but again, as I said. London, Paris, and Tokyo have a hell of a lot of political power, and New York has little in comparison. Yet they are still a trully massive world player.

I expect either Shanghai or Hong Kong will be up with L, NY, P and T soon. With China quickly becoming the most powerful nation on the Earth, I expect they will have one of their cities there.

·
Proud Torontonian
1,421 Posts
Its per capita crime level is ridiculously high, and I don't think that a city can consider itself of world class status until it cleans its crime situation up. New York is the safest metropolis in the US. Enough said.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.