SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you look at the facts since 1996 after 2pac was killed, west coast hip hop
had pretty much falling off the mat. For hip hop fans do you feel west coast hip hop can make a comeback? I can say this a lot of the stuff I hear from the new west don't really jump at me but everyone has an opinion so state your opinion on this topic.
 

·
Proud Marylander
Joined
·
553 Posts
Flipsyde is a new bunch coming out of Oakland with a similar theme The Roots use. Heiroglyphics, also from Oakland, have lots of really banging tunes..
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
17,457 Posts
It's still active with the likes of Snoop Dogg.

But honestly today's rap scene isn't that great anymore unlike back in the 80s, mid-90s
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
17,457 Posts
Furiine said:
Flipsyde is a new bunch coming out of Oakland with a similar theme The Roots use. Heiroglyphics, also from Oakland, have lots of really banging tunes..
Yeah but they're from The Bay Area and this thread is made in the LA section so I'll be focusing on LA's hip-hop scene.

Yes The Dilated Peoples is still there and I'll be buying their new album when I'm in LA.

As for the Black Eyed Peas, they used to be good but when Fergie joined the group I started hating their music.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WANCH said:
Yeah but they're from The Bay Area and this thread is made in the LA section so I'll be focusing on LA's hip-hop scene.

Yes The Dilated Peoples is still there and I'll be buying their new album when I'm in LA.

As for the Black Eyed Peas, they used to be good but when Fergie joined the group I started hating their music.
I agree with you on that Fergie made their music turn into more pop music I liked the old vibe when they first came out.
And Dilated is cool I can say but it seems like the record labels put more money into the gangsta hip hop in cali. Like they signed glasses malone for 1.6 million and I'm not really feeling his music.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
17,457 Posts
soulbro said:
I agree with you on that Fergie made their music turn into more pop music I liked the old vibe when they first came out.
And Dilated is cool I can say but it seems like the record labels put more money into the gangsta hip hop in cali. Like they signed glasses malone for 1.6 million and I'm not really feeling his music.
It's not just big record label signing in gangsta rappers but before, they had their own labels like Deathrow or Ruthless.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,297 Posts
...why are you posting that east coast rap and west coast rap are dead on the nyc fourm and los angeles fourm respectivly?
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
17,457 Posts
godblessbotox said:
...why are you posting that east coast rap and west coast rap are dead on the nyc fourm and los angeles fourm respectivly?
Reactions on both sides. Probably missed the east coast west coast rivalry :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,533 Posts
- death bead lmao (sorry, immature)
- 2Pac will keep WC rap alive forever
- Fergay killed the black eyed peas
 

·
Silver Lake
Joined
·
5,451 Posts
Hip hop died w/ 2pac and Biggie. Now all we got is Atlanta and its host of "step n' fetch it" caricatures, w/ gold teeth none the less.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I still say west coast hip hop died when we embraced gangsta rap and not have a balance with the true mc's like we should have supported the pharcyde, hiero,anotha level etc. volume 10 etc. But because Gang culture runs southern cali thats what we took to. Then we put pac on that top level and when he died thats when we died. Not to mention the real knockout came when the original K-day 1580 left. This new K-day I'm not feeling it.
One they lied they said they were going to play west coast hip hop and create new west stars they haven't you pretty much have to go to wcrydaz.com to find artist from the west or westcoast2k.com but they put the gangsta rap above everything else here. The old K-day was the best station ever if not for them you would have no NWA or Ice t or king t etc.
K-day looked out for the up in coming artist and they was in the community unlike power 106 and the beat. K-day made their own charts the beat and power use radio one formats which mean you won't hear a local artist here get no spins on the radio. The old K-day had a show for the unsigned artist they would play their songs on the radio and let the people make a comment on the song. I miss the old K-day this new K-day sucks and smells like doo doodie.
 

·
skyscraper maniac
Joined
·
1,982 Posts
K Day is alright, listen to Julio G and DJ Melody. What upsets me is that they changed west side radio from friday nights to sunday afternoons. I hate it when they're palying Chris Brown friday nights, when they should be playing Straight Outta Compton or something like that.
Ice cube's new cd Lough Now Cry Later is alright. DPG is cool, especially Daz, he is really trying at the moment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I still say westcoast hip hop is dead and I don't see it coming back to the level it was at mainly because in LA they support everything else and don't support the home team and the fake ass radio stations here are the reason for it. Look at the dirty south they support the home team. Go to Atlanta and bump some west they will tell you it's cool but we about being crunk or in houston screw music thats what I like about the south the people tell those radio clowns were supporting our artist and y'all fake ass stations go to hell.
The only way the west will come back is when the fans in the city support the home team.
 

·
Silver Lake
Joined
·
5,451 Posts
And we thought gangsta rap was bad for the black and latino kids! Now all of the girls are ho's for the boys who couldn't even get a whiff of pussy in jr. high.
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top