Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Israel is the first country in MENA to be invited to join the OECD (Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development) which consists of the world's strongest democtratic economies (currently 30 members). Although Israel's economy is much better than some of the countries already in the OECD (for example Poland, Czech rep., Slovakia, Turkey) it has been shunned from it for political reasons in the past.

Joining the OECD is an important step for Israel, and will allow stronger inflow of foreign capital, and is the official endorsement of Israel's economy, industrialization, and democracy. :banana:

From YNET:

Israel invited to join the OECD

Israel, along with Russia, Estonia, Slovenia and Chile was invited Wednesday to join the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD).

"The OECD's invitation is a reflection of Israel's firm economic standing in the world, and will further our integration with the world's economies," said Bank of Israel governor Stanley Fischer.

"The OECD has decided to invite Israel, Russia, Estonia, Slovenia and Chile to join in the process of becoming OECD members," said a statement by the organization. "We further intend to explore the possibility of offering Brazil, China, India, Indonesia and South Africa to join us as well."

Negotiations and the necessary screening process required for Israel to fully join the organization may take up to a year, since it involves a series of evaluations as to the prospective country's ability to meet the OECD's standards in various political and financial aspects.

''The process of globalization is inexorable,'' OECD Secretary General Angel Gurria said in a statement Wednesday. ''The OECD has an important role to play. Its analysis and policy advice has helped o shape the world economy.''

Gurria went on to say that no time frame has been set for the negotiations, and that there is no guarantee that this year's five nominees will indeed join the organization. The last time new countries joined the OECD was in 2002, when Slovakia became its newest member.

"There is no doubt that a full membership in the OECD will give Israel's economy the same status as that of some of the world's most advanced economies," said President of the Israeli Chamber of Commerce Uriel Linn.

Following the announcement, the foreign relations office in the Finance Ministry launched a new website, on future Israeli activities in the OECD.

·
Xerxes
244 Posts
wow good for Israel. So much advancements...high time they also end their brutal occupation of Palestine.

·
X
265 Posts
if you say Isreal is first in MENA to join than how come you state Turkey as an already member :nuts:

Congrats still!
:tiasd:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^^ Turkish members of SSC insist they are not a part of MENA, but of Europe :) so I respect that and it makes a better thread headline, too :lol:

Well, look at Beirut!'s response above and you'll find out that even Israel is not a part of MENA, lol :lol:

·
Same old me
18 Posts
Is Israel considered part of "MENA" - Isnt MENA an economic term used to describe the Arab countries of the Middle East and North Africa?
Come on, Israel is right in the heart of the Middle East.

·
Prince of Persia
1,928 Posts
wow good for Israel. So much advancements...high time they also end their brutal occupation of Palestine.
biemanie.

Well done Israel.

·
X
265 Posts
^^ Turkish members of SSC insist they are not a part of MENA, but of Europe :) so I respect that and it makes a better thread headline, too :lol:

Well, look at Beirut!'s response above and you'll find out that even Israel is not a part of MENA, lol :lol:
Middle East includes Turkey, Israel, and Iran not just Arab countries. it also includes Egypte, Sudan, Djibouti, and Somalia from North Africa.

some people feel ashamed to belong to a place filled with 3rd world countries or so.

just like someone from Madagascar says it's not Africa... :-S

·
DAMNED
12,840 Posts
Is Israel considered part of "MENA" - Isnt MENA an economic term used to describe the Arab countries of the Middle East and North Africa?
Israel is here and u must accept it!
Middle East and not Middle arabic east!!!

·
4,373 Posts
Israel is here and u must accept it!
Middle East and not Middle arabic east!!!
Zohar, relax buddy... NO one is saying Israel doesnt exist! "MENA" doesnt = all middle east countries (so I thought). I just always thought that it was an economic term referring to Arab countries...because our economies are more mixed whereas Israel doesnt really have economic relations with the others. Also, the only reason why they would link NA and ME is because NA countries are Arab. But sorry for the confusion, I am glad Israel is doing well economically! - I just wish it was beneficial to the whole region, and not a locally isolated economy.

·
Registered
353 Posts
:rofl: Israelis are kinda sweet! They are confirming and restating their belonging to MENA...Why do you want to mingle with us people? Except from the lucky few, we're mostly 3rd world countries! :tongue2:

Reminds me of Shimon Peres who stated he wants Israel to join the Arab league :lol: Has he ever seen the fights and the petty arguments between Arab leaders in there?...It's hillarious and so embarassing! :lol:

I hope this thread won't turn into some kind of political discussion...I am just sharing a random thought :)

1 - 20 of 56 Posts