SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
5,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MoT is advancing Israel Railways' strategic plan for freight transport:

Port2port (Hebrew):

A new freight terminal has been approved for Netivot (render below).

Other terminals in the strategic plan include: Kedma, Tirat Yehuda, Beit Shemesh, north Tel Aviv metropolitan area (near Netanya?), Hadera, Jezreel Valley and others.

Credit: Ran Tzarfati Renders

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
How do these freight terminals relate to the ports? Are they supposed to relieve pressure on the ports? Do they have other purposes, like holding goods closer to the communities they're for? Do the shipping containers get unloaded at the ports and then get transported immediately to the terminals? Lots of questions but I'm curious.

·
5,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The idea is to have large localized logistics centers where you can transport containers to (or from) by train. The main use case, as I understand it, is so that customers can take goods from these terminals and transport them to the final destination by truck, except the destinations would be much closer, so it would eliminate the need for long truck journeys for these customers. From the port to the terminal the goods would be transported in containers on trains.
The opposite use case, where new factories would haul their industrial goods to the terminals by trucks, which would then be taken to the seaports, exists as well, but it's probably a secondary use case, given the dearth of heavy industry and the short distances in Israel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
How do these freight terminals relate to the ports? Are they supposed to relieve pressure on the ports? Do they have other purposes, like holding goods closer to the communities they're for? Do the shipping containers get unloaded at the ports and then get transported immediately to the terminals? Lots of questions but I'm curious.
In all likelihood they will not relieve pressure, but will expedite traffic to and from the ports.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts